Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've decided to take on a cam research project. There's a lot of gray area around actual cam specs and what's marketed to us. I have setup a spare engine which I will be using to measure and document each cam I can get my hands on.

Here's where I need everyone's help: If you have one of the following cams laying around that you can lend to me for measuring(should take a day or two and I'll send right back), that would be great! I have a TB, and KOSO cam myself, but anything labeled in red is what we currently need. If you have one that's not on my list, please let me know so I can get it added!

How you benefit: By completing this chart, we as a community can debunk the false numbers floating around and identify what cam is best for our engine builds.

I am doing this under my own initiative and free time to benefit everyone and this is the cheapest way for me to personally go about it. Buying each cam outright would be unrealistic, but I am happy to split shipping costs with any individuals willing to help.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRsZQbnw1tTdWzR8R6EoAeFV6XWuXUOg5kNJ7oeErYipxbl3BGAI21LnALxyfuhM3Bnt1q_Q8T2kl3W/pubhtml

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was hoping you'd post here. Hopefully the Takegawa cam gets there tomorrow. I've been wanting to know the specs on it for two years. Haha

·
Registered
300 Posts
Following

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
This will be interesting for sure.

Now a Koso 4 valve study is needed! LOL

Good luck OP. I have no cam to throw in the mix, 'cept a stocker.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is a great idea! I've been debating cams for a long time now but can't pull the trigger on any specific kind.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chart is beginning to fill up thanks to those who have contributed... Still some cams I'm looking to get my hands on!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm surprised to see the Kitaco Neo cam in the list, I thought it was specific to the Neo head. Or can it be used in the stock head?
I have a Yoshi ST1 I could lend but I'm afraid shipping back and forth from France will be hugely expensive...
And thank you for taking time to do this! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I realize that the intent is to make a concise "spreadsheet" of cam parameters, but it would also be really useful to know a little something about the operational nature of these cams. Cams generally have an RPM range where they really make power, or excel at torque vs. RPMs, etc.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm surprised to see the Kitaco Neo cam in the list, I thought it was specific to the Neo head. Or can it be used in the stock head?
I have a Yoshi ST1 I could lend but I'm afraid shipping back and forth from France will be hugely expensive...
And thank you for taking time to do this! :thumbsup:
All cams were measured in a bone stock head, so nothing proprietary about the NEO cam at all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I realize that the intent is to make a concise "spreadsheet" of cam parameters, but it would also be really useful to know a little something about the operational nature of these cams. Cams generally have an RPM range where they really make power, or excel at torque vs. RPMs, etc.
Unfortunately there are far too many variables in an engine to determine these characteristics. By looking at the numbers you can get a general idea how it should perform, but to put quantifiable numbers on paper is near impossible as literally no engine will be the same. A single cam in a stock head will have completely different characteristics than a head that's ported with larger valves and high compression. At what point would someone put a stake in the ground to test them all? It's just not a realistic number to come up with- There is absolutely no "best" camshaft that fits all applications. The use of these charts should help people choose a cam that suits their needs in a build and what they're looking for because it's truly a case-by-case scenario.

If someone isn't familiar with how Duration, Lift, Overlap, Cam Timing, etc. all play a part in how an engine makes power, the charts might not mean much to them and should seek further reading/understanding.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Unfortunately there are far too many variables in an engine to determine these characteristics. By looking at the numbers you can get a general idea how it should perform, but to put quantifiable numbers on paper is near impossible as literally no engine will be the same. A single cam in a stock head will have completely different characteristics than a head that's ported with larger valves and high compression. At what point would someone put a stake in the ground to test them all? It's just not a realistic number to come up with- There is absolutely no "best" camshaft that fits all applications. The use of these charts should help people choose a cam that suits their needs in a build and what they're looking for because it's truly a case-by-case scenario.

If someone isn't familiar with how Duration, Lift, Overlap, Cam Timing, etc. all play a part in how an engine makes power, the charts might not mean much to them and should seek further reading/understanding.

Easy..... Just keep it with Cam specs ONLY and not performance out come......as we can have slight diff in gearing

·
Registered
870 Posts
These are nothing more than copy/paste from what's found around the internet... This is good, but how much of it has been accurate? The difference with what I'm doing is real bench testing.
LOLOLOL............... Must be cause I dont have a ghey spread sheet for them. They are all the specs straight from the manufaturer so they are spot on...no copy and past bud

Real bech testing..... LOLOL

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOLOLOL............... Must be cause I dont have a ghey spread sheet for them. They are all the specs straight from the manufaturer so they are spot on...no copy and past bud

Real bech testing..... LOLOL
Oh, Right. Specs from manufacturers found on the internet have never been inflated before :laughing4:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Oh, Right. Specs from manufacturers found on the internet have never been inflated before :laughing4:
Lol no shit, No manufacture would mislead you to buy their product everyone is honest... The work Farkas is doing puts the numbers all the manufactures are claiming to the test for accuracy.
In turn will help builds make better decsision on mod choices.

Keep doing your thing Farkas most here Do and Will appreciate it, Thank you in advance!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts