Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an idea for my next sport bike build to put Honda from wheels on an 08 cbr125r coz that would be mad af. Would this work at all?

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Ive got an idea for my next sport bike build to put Honda from wheels on an 08 cbr125r coz that would be mad af. Would this work at all?
Better yet get a second hand 2015 CB300F Honda and throw in those Grom wheels and you will have 29-30HP mini-bike with the ability to ride on the Freeway since most states allow 150cc and over to be on the Freeway. You will have 6 speed, water cooled, more gas to carry and a fun project. A CB300F is around $3,999 plus tax and DMV add on's and would be cheaper than modding a Grom and buying a BBK engine which cost around $2,400-2,600 plus your Grom $2,999 so you are looking at $5,600 plus and this dos not including fuel manage system and all the mapping, exhaust system and air box system that you need that will make your grom faster.

We have had grom owners that have shoved a 250cc engine a 450cc engine and 1199 engine into the grom but I think just BBK is find exp the Takegawa 181 4V super head engine or any 4 valve BBK kit.

Hey ride safe.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
To actually answer the OP, Sure, why not?

things to consider for any wheel swap-
will the spindles work? Both bikes use 12mm spindles so yes.
Will the wheel fit width wise? Grom tyres aren't wider so probably.
Will the wheel fit under the existing fender? Lol
will the discs work? You'll probably need a caliper adapter up front as a 276mm (11") disc isn't going to fit a 12" wheel, but you can fit a 220m grom front disc to your rear wheel and that's the right size. You'll probably need to space the discs or calipers to get it working but shouldn't be impossible.
The rest is a matter of custom wheel spacers to get the tyres centred. You'll need a lathe or a friend with one.

Its going to look ridiculous but have fun with your project either way!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You'll also be lowering the bike a lot. Expect a corresponding loss of ground/cornering clearance if that doesn't stop it working completely.

Front caliper spacer could be as easy as a piece of metal (fairly thick steel I'd say) with four holes in. You only need to move it down in a straight line by 28mm after all, it's not going to be a complicated cnc project.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You'll also be lowering the bike a lot. Expect a corresponding loss of ground/cornering clearance if that doesn't stop it working completely.

Front caliper spacer could be as easy as a piece of metal (fairly thick steel I'd say) with four holes in. You only need to move it down in a straight line by 28mm after all, it's not going to be a complicated cnc project.
Going from 12" Grom wheels to 17" CBR125R wheels would actually RAISE the bike 2.5" (6.35cm) at the axle. That would give you a 32.6" (828mm) seat height! Center of gravity would be raised considerably and could make handling a bit squirrely....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts