Honda Grom banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
lol thanks guys i think i may get the ninja 300 with no abs i just cant believe i could flatfoot the ninja and r3 but not the cbr300r lol.... do you guys think i would enjoy the power of the 300 if the grom already feels somewhat fast to me lol

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
lol thanks guys i think i may get the ninja 300 with no abs i just cant believe i could flatfoot the ninja and r3 but not the cbr300r lol.... do you guys think i would enjoy the power of the 300 if the grom already feels somewhat fast to me lol
Yup. You'll love it. More refined than a Grom too.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
cool :D if i end up getting the ninja do i have to mess with the rear shock thingy im about 5'5 and 125-130 lbs as in adjust the preload or whatever that thing is called?
You might be ok. I had a Honda 250 and stock set up was for a 140lb rider if I remember right.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks guys and the reason i asked was i was hoping maybe if i adjusted that pre load thing it would maybe make the bike sit lower lol? is that true
Well, yeah, just because it'll sag more than it should. My dad did that with his dual sport. I hated riding his bike because the rear end was way too soft. He liked it though, for same reason you want to do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
cool :D if i end up getting the ninja do i have to mess with the rear shock thingy im about 5'5 and 125-130 lbs as in adjust the preload or whatever that thing is called?
Regardless of what motorcycle you purchase, you're going to "have to mess with the rear shock thingy". The good news, is that it's a pretty straightforward process, and I'd be happy to walk almost anyone through it. All it takes is a tape measure and two friends. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks guys and the reason i asked was i was hoping maybe if i adjusted that pre load thing it would maybe make the bike sit lower lol? is that true
Asked and answered:

The spring preload adjustment on motorcycles is not to adjust it to make it easier for you to balance at stops. The spring preload adjustment is there so that AFTER you put the correct springs in the motorcycle for your weight, you can adjust the "starting point" of where the suspension "sits" within it's up-and-down stroke (travel) with you on the bike in riding gear in a riding position at neutral throttle. Too much preload, and the suspension will top out too much. Too little preload, and the suspension will bottom out too much. And that's assuming you have the correct springs in it. If you don't have the correct springs in it, there's not a lot you can do- you can't polish a turd.
If you're still not understanding this, I can try to break it down a little bit more for you. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmmmm... excuse me for saying this, but I wonder if you are jumping into buying your 2nd bike too soon. I know Grom is your first bike and have ridden it for 2000 miles, but once you get even more experience you won't care so much about being able to flatfoot. By the way, when you say flat foot, are you saying both feet or just 1 foot? I know girls who are shorter than you that rides R6's in its stock form.

If you were my friend, I would advise against getting a new bike just yet, and would recommend getting more experience under your belt. Being able to flatfoot only matters when stopped and going extremely slow. And it's during these times, where people most often drop their bikes.

Additionally, as time goes by you way want to explore other riding experiences. I know just riding around town on the Grom is hella fun, but it may get boring after time, and you may want to hit up the twisties. If so, messing up the geometry of the bike can have a negative impact on handling.

If you really want to lower it, shave the seat!!

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience.

EDIT: As an example, look at Dani Pedrosa.. he's only 5' 2" and he's a Motogp star... Marc Marquez is only an inch taller than you and he's a MotoGP champ. I know these are extreme examples, but experience goes a long way!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I think I've said it couple times in this thread, but I agree, I wouldn't worry about flat footing. It really is a non issue. By the end of your first day with a taller bike you'll feel silly about worrying about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmmmm... excuse me for saying this, but I wonder if you are jumping into buying your 2nd bike too soon. I know Grom is your first bike and have ridden it for 2000 miles, but once you get even more experience you won't care so much about being able to flatfoot. By the way, when you say flat foot, are you saying both feet or just 1 foot? I know girls who are shorter than you that rides R6's in its stock form.

If you were my friend, I would advise against getting a new bike just yet, and would recommend getting more experience under your belt. Being able to flatfoot only matters when stopped and going extremely slow. And it's during these times, where people most often drop their bikes.

Additionally, as time goes by you way want to explore other riding experiences. I know just riding around town on the Grom is hella fun, but it may get boring after time, and you may want to hit up the twisties. If so, messing up the geometry of the bike can have a negative impact on handling.

If you really want to lower it, shave the seat!!

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience.

EDIT: As an example, look at Dani Pedrosa.. he's only 5' 2" and he's a Motogp star... Marc Marquez is only an inch taller than you and he's a MotoGP champ. I know these are extreme examples, but experience goes a long way!
Asked and answered:

If you're still not understanding this, I can try to break it down a little bit more for you. :)
I think I've said it couple times in this thread, but I agree, I wouldn't worry about flat footing. It really is a non issue. By the end of your first day with a taller bike you'll feel silly about worrying about it.
yeah thanks for all the help guys and when i say i flatfoot i meant both feet but before i bought the grom i was about to get a 300 anyways as a starter learning bike since alot of people say to start with those or the 250s.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well spoken, brother. :)

141 - 158 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.