Honda Grom banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
A little side note here, any of you have any experience with this?

Or should I just buy an OEM gasket? I figure since I'm going to be taking the header pipe off to ship it back and swap on the new one, and going to need a new gasket, might as well ask.
YES! Me and Opus use this, Worth every cent... Your not going to need ANY sealant.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just installed mine and it has a leak in the same area. Extremely mild but it’s still passing some exhaust. I’m going to take it apart tomorrow and apply some of that silicone. It should fix the issue. On a side note, the exhaust gasket was a bitch to remove. Spent more time doing that than actually installing the pipe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just installed mine and it has a leak in the same area. Extremely mild but it’s still passing some exhaust. I’m going to take it apart tomorrow and apply some of that silicone. It should fix the issue. On a side note, the exhaust gasket was a bitch to remove. Spent more time doing that than actually installing the pipe.
Thats a bummer, sorry to hear that. Maybe a bad batch of Hindles came out of their distributor. I'll report back when I get a new pipe in and see if that does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Thats a bummer, sorry to hear that. Maybe a bad batch of Hindles came out of their distributor. I'll report back when I get a new pipe in and see if that does the same thing.
It’s not bad at all. Not sure how bad yours was but I’m just barely getting exhaust coming through. I’ll let you know how the silicone works. I’m too burned out to mess with it tonight after fighting that exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It’s not bad at all. Not sure how bad yours was but I’m just barely getting exhaust coming through. I’ll let you know how the silicone works. I’m too burned out to mess with it tonight after fighting that exhaust gasket.
Awesome, lemme know how it goes! Mine was pretty bad, especially when I revved it you could hear the leak.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quick update for anyone still interested, my replacement pipe from Hindle should be here on Saturday. Its stuck in NYC right now (it came from Canada), and with the way the virus is going over there, I'm not sure if it'll make it on Saturday since shipping hasn't updated. But, if it does come Saturday, I'll install it and give you all an update on how it acts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the new Hindle pipe in and installed it. Everything looks good! No leaks where I was getting one before, and it all went together nicely. I took it out for a test ride and it seems to be pulling good and sounds nice. I'll probably keep an eye on it for awhile, but so far so good! The Grom Fatherz gasket seems to be working pretty well too. Seems like I must have just gotten a defective part the first time around.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My IXIL exhaust has a crooked flange where it meets the engine head...

...so I simply crumple some aluminum foil into a worm, form it into a circle by overlapping the ends and bolt up the exhaust. It makes a really good exhaust gasket.

Cost: Nothing :)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would assume aluminum foil will eventually burn through being used as a gasket. Those exhaust gases are way too hot for that application. No?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would assume aluminum foil will eventually burn through being used as a gasket. Those exhaust gases are way too hot for that application. No?
Pard, you are correct in your assumption!.

·
Registered
883 Posts
They don't leak. :)

The exposed aluminum gets covered in carbon and has some attrition, but what gets clamped tight between the surfaces remains pristine and maintains a good seal..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts