Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So I just bought a Hindle and installed it, but I think I have an exhaust leak. When I rev the engine and put my finger near the mating point of the header pipe and the flange pipe, I can feel exhaust coming out of where I circled in the picture. Anyone have any idea if this is normal, or if I installed the pipe incorrectly?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you install a new exhaust gasket when you installed the pipe?
Yep, I put a new exhaust gasket where the flange pipe meets the engine. Doesn't seem to be leaking from there. Not sure if this is just something with the Hindle itself, or if there is something I'm missing here.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Yep, I put a new exhaust gasket where the flange pipe meets the engine. Doesn't seem to be leaking from there. Not sure if this is just something with the Hindle itself, or if there is something I'm missing here.
Well I have a hindle on the way (should be here Thursday). I’ll report back if I end up having the same issue. You have me nervous with this.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's definitely strange and not a common problem with Hindles. The flange and header should be a pretty tight fit when cold. I would reach out to Hindle directly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have a hindle on the way (should be here Thursday). I’ll report back if I end up having the same issue. You have me nervous with this.
Let me know how it goes for you! Its definitely an odd issue that I'm having. Curious to know how yours turns out, since it looks like mine is a one-off issue.

Use a stainless steel adjustable band to crimp close... its not like it has to hold pressure, but you def dont want it leaking.
Hmm sounds like that could work, I'm just confused on why this is leaking.
That's definitely strange and not a common problem with Hindles. The flange and header should be a pretty tight fit when cold. I would reach out to Hindle directly.
Interesting. I reached out to Hindle, and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Hindle Exhaust Systems, and I can certainly assist.

Unfortunately, it can happen from time to time , but the good news is, it's a pretty simple fix. If you apply some high temp silicone on the flange this should stop the leakage.

Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions about our products. We are here to help."

I'm not sure if I should ask for a warranty replacement, or just deal with it the way I was told...

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Let me know how it goes for you! Its definitely an odd issue that I'm having. Curious to know how yours turns out, since it looks like mine is a one-off issue.

Hmm sounds like that could work, I'm just confused on why this is leaking.

Interesting. I reached out to Hindle, and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Hindle Exhaust Systems, and I can certainly assist.

Unfortunately, it can happen from time to time , but the good news is, it's a pretty simple fix. If you apply some high temp silicone on the flange this should stop the leakage.

Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions about our products. We are here to help."

I'm not sure if I should ask for a warranty replacement, or just deal with it the way I was told...
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered some Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper in case I end up having the same issue. Wont be delivered until next Monday and my exhaust is due this Thursday. It looks like potential for another weekend down without riding :cautious:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered some Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper in case I end up having the same issue. Wont be delivered until next Monday and my exhaust is due this Thursday. It looks like potential for another weekend down without riding :cautious:
No problem! Let me know how the install goes for you. I emailed them again and asked if I could get it replaced under warranty, just to see if maybe a new one won't have the same issue. Just would rather try that before putting some sealant on it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
No problem! Let me know how the install goes for you. I emailed them again and asked if I could get it replaced under warranty, just to see if maybe a new one won't have the same issue. Just would rather try that before putting some sealant on it.
Yeah I'm with you. When you pay a decent amount of money for something you kinda expect it to fit properly without any issues. I have the worst luck so figured I'd play it safe and order the silicone just so I have it. I'll definitely report back how mine goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'm with you. When you pay a decent amount of money for something you kinda expect it to fit properly without any issues. I have the worst luck so figured I'd play it safe and order the silicone just so I have it. I'll definitely report back how mine goes.
Oh definitely. I also have the worst luck. I'm currently having issues with DHMotoring as well...item shipped out the 21st, but has been showing "pre-shipment" since then, and no response from DHM after emailing. I'm sure it'll get sorted, but just kind of sucks.

The Hindle thing kinda bums me out, because of how much positivity I have read about it around here, I thought it would go right on and off I go. :( Sigh...someone has to get the crap end of the stick right? lol.

·
Registered
705 Posts
For what its worth, even on high end full exhaust systems, using hi temp silicone between pipe joints is commonplace.

Bad luck on this one I think :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what its worth, even on high end full exhaust systems, using hi temp silicone between pipe joints is commonplace.

Bad luck on this one I think :(
That sucks. :( I haven't really encountered this before with a car exhaust, but this is my first motorcycle so it must be different in the 2 wheel world. I got another email from Hindle asking for videos of the bike running; I sent them over and will update again. They said that it is a common occurrence with the Hindle exhaust, so I just advise all of you out there with the Hindle to take a feel around that mating point and see if you have a leak. Kind of disappointing in a way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check out the video at 5:15 minutes. Just use some sealant and ride. Don't be bummed about it unless Hindle gets back to you after sending a video that indeed you have a defective part.

Not a Hindle, but same idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out the video at 5:15 minutes. Just use some sealant and ride. Don't be bummed about it unless Hindle gets back to you after sending a video that indeed you have a defective part.

Not a Hindle, but same idea.

Thanks! Good to know how to do that now, since I was wondering lol. Hindle actually did get back to me and this is what they said about the videos I sent:

Thanks for getting that to me.

Yeah, that’s not great – do you know where you purchased this from?

Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions about our products. We are here to help

So turns out my flange and header pipe was definitely messed up! They are sending me a new header pipe and flange, so I'm very happy with Hindle customer service.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little side note here, any of you have any experience with this?

Or should I just buy an OEM gasket? I figure since I'm going to be taking the header pipe off to ship it back and swap on the new one, and going to need a new gasket, might as well ask.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
A little side note here, any of you have any experience with this?

Or should I just buy an OEM gasket? I figure since I'm going to be taking the header pipe off to ship it back and swap on the new one, and going to need a new gasket, might as well ask.
Thats not bad considering the cost of the original gaskets will add up. Guess it depends on how often you plan on removing your exhaust. If you get one report back what you think. I might have to pick one up myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats not bad considering the cost of the original gaskets will add up. Guess it depends on how often you plan on removing your exhaust. If you get one report back what you think. I might have to pick one up myself.
Yeah, I saw this posted somewhere else and thought it was interesting. I guess my concern is since its billet, it won't compress to really seal up any imperfections on the surface, but I may just be paranoid now haha.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Yeah, I saw this posted somewhere else and thought it was interesting. I guess my concern is since its billet, it won't compress to really seal up any imperfections on the surface, but I may just be paranoid now haha.
Justifiably so! Haha. If I get one I’d probably still use the high temp silicone since I bought some out of paranoia.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Justifiably so! Haha. If I get one I’d probably still use the high temp silicone since I bought some out of paranoia.
For sure! Sorry about causing you paranoia, haha. I just knew something wasn't right with my header pipe. Let me know how yours goes when you get it all installed up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts