Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well, why you're in the air box doing the mod of your choice you might as well let it breath a little more. Eliminating the choking paper filter and creating a washable, breathable air filter that never needs replacing.

I went with a Two Stage UNI KTM replacement Part No: NU 1414 ST
IMG_2352.JPG
1. Start out by cutting out the paper element with an instrument of your choice:
IMG_2353.JPG
2. Trim about 1/4" off each side of new filter and check fitment. Then glue/seal it in:
IMG_2360.JPG
3. Oil it up and your ready to RIDE!
IMG_2364.JPG

·
Registered
955 Posts
This looks nice if the stock look is important to you. The other option is buying the r1100 K&N and attaching it directly to the throttle body. All you need to do is remove the snorkel from the box. The snorkel itself is a restrictor so even with the air box mod you won't get as much airflow as the K&N. As for the temp sensor. Just mount it next to the filter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This looks nice if the stock look is important to you. The other option is buying the r1100 K&N and attaching it directly to the throttle body. All you need to do is remove the snorkel from the box. The snorkel itself is a restrictor so even with the air box mod you won't get as much airflow as the K&N. As for the temp sensor. Just mount it next to the filter.
Snakeibf dos the K&N fit in the same space as th the old box ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
As Loaded said - it fits directly to the throttle body.

You just remove the snorkle that comes out of the original air box to give room and then fit this R1100 K&N directly to the throttle body inplace of the snorkle.

You leave the Old filter housing in place (so that it looks stock and holds the side panels in position)

As Snake said for the air temperature sensor - you could

1. leave it where it is - as air will still be inside the box at close on the same temperature.

2. move it next to the air filter cone.

3. Possibly fit it in the small plastic end of the air filter cone - if there is room (I have the filter to fit - just waiting on the Yoshi pipe - then will look if there is room to do this)

·
Registered
955 Posts
It is still tucked way up inside the frame and the body paneling covers it. I don't see it as being a problem in wet and snow. As long as your not hauling ass through rivers, streams and through deep puddles you should be fine. To fit the K&N all you have to do is slightly bend the little tab that holds the some of the cables slightly outward. It fits nice and snug in the space there. I personally left the IAT sensor on the airbox because I had already drilled holes in the fron cover so it should be reading the same ambient temp anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you happen to have a part number from k and n that will fot our bikes?

2004 Honda 919
1978 Triumph Tiger
1989 Honda GL15 ( A work in progress...)
2014 Honda Grom ( Soon to come)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I did it myself, it takes all of 15 minutes if you pause to drink a beer. You just need to remove the side panel. If you look in my Yuminashi light bore installation 2.0 i provide instructions with pics on how to remove the panel.i think I took some pics of it installed as well.

This will also make the bike louder at the intake side. Not too much, but it will have a much different sound.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Snakebif,

Nice I have been waiting for something like this.

Do you have an exhaust? what performance gains have you seen? I thnk I will do this in a couple of weeks so that I can give my grom a little more breakin time. I also want to get a good idea of what the max benefit from my yoshi full exhaust so i know what my baseline is. I already know it gave me an extra 3-4mph on top end speed but i want to see if my MPG are affected. I got 104 miles first tank and 100 miles on second tank.

I'm already at 260 miles and still haven't change the oil.

I just bought Motul 5100 10w40 and my Magnetic drain plug finally came in the mail.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So far I have the 150cc light bore kit, the light bore injector, the K&N filter and a full yoshimura exhaust system. It has a lot more torque than stock and pulls me up hills nicely. Before I had the exhaust I dyno'd at 12hp and about 13 ftlbs of torque. I can feel the difference with the full exhaust. If I were to guess I'm probably putting out around 13 HP now. The new cam, head and EFI controller will make the biggest increase in HP though. I'm hoping for 18hp or more.

Once I get the parts ill make more install threads.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is still tucked way up inside the frame and the body paneling covers it. I don't see it as being a problem in wet and snow. As long as your not hauling ass through rivers, streams and through deep puddles you should be fine. To fit the K&N all you have to do is slightly bend the little tab that holds the some of the cables slightly outward. It fits nice and snug in the space there. I personally left the IAT sensor on the airbox because I had already drilled holes in the fron cover so it should be reading the same ambient temp anyway.
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I didn't mean to hijack your thread loaded. I do like your idea and think it should be an improvement over stock as well. This gives people a couple good options. Some will want to keep the system mostly stock without modding anything major. this is also a good choice if you don't want to remove the side panel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts