Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015, Twin Bros Exhaust and Chimera intake. I love the throttle response and power from 2 simple upgrades. I live in Utah, somewhat higher elevation. When I accelerate from a stop, while in 1st & 2nd gear, the bike seems to hesitate and does not accelerate very smooth, its like it pauses for a half second while I open throttle through the lower RPMs. Once I'm above 6k it seems fine, then I shift to 2nd, same thing in the lower RPMs until I get above 6k.
It does not happen, or is not as noticeable once the bike has been running for a while.

Is it running too lean? or do I need to run some cleaner or something in it?

Bike has 1300 miles.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am novice when it comes to any mechanical issues. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
With no fuel controller - it is likely to be running lean with those mods.
It would be worse at lower altitude.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have the same exhaust. I won't do the intake until I have some sort of fuel controller though. Past experience has taught me that exhaust or intake is fine, but both runs too lean without a fuel controller.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elev 4,551'. I have not done an ECU reset. I am embarrassed to say, i'm not quite sure what an ECU is, tbh :( Is that something I can do on my own? Or should I take Reeny and OGN's advice and just invest in a fuel controller device??
I'm down for trying both. I'm having a blast messing with this bike and learning about engines. If there is a good youtube how to on the ecu that you know of, plz, shoot me a link and I will CTSO! (check that s*** out)
And, if you have any good recommendations for fuel controllers that would be equally amazing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any recommendations on good fuel controllers for entry an level rider like myself? Or is it the type of component that pretty much any brand can make well and I just need to find the best price?

·
Registered
293 Posts
In the manual there is a page that describes ECU (computer that controls fuel and ignition) reset and altitude setting. You need a "special tool" (paperclip) to reset it.

And don't waste your money on the Dobeck crap- if you need a fuel controller save a buy a real one with a wideband. I have their EJK and it simply doesn't work, all it allowed me to do was move the dead spot around. The part that sucks is a competent programmer could have made it work well enough for most of our purposes. I've done a bit of reverse engineering on it and decided it was a waste of my time to reverse engineer the assembly code and fix it, especially because it has 2 programmable processors on it. The "load based" thing they advertise is basically a scam- they don't have enough data to know anything about load, so they are assuming the stock ECU is calculating the load. Problem with that is the stock ECU changes the fueling for other reasons too.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Elev 4,551'. I have not done an ECU reset. I am embarrassed to say, i'm not quite sure what an ECU is, tbh :( Is that something I can do on my own? Or should I take Reeny and OGN's advice and just invest in a fuel controller device??
I'm down for trying both. I'm having a blast messing with this bike and learning about engines. If there is a good youtube how to on the ecu that you know of, plz, shoot me a link and I will CTSO! (check that s*** out)
And, if you have any good recommendations for fuel controllers that would be equally amazing.

Do this,

go ride for 30 miles for it to learn proper fueling and you should be good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Did the reset on the ECU. I did it the way the video from Hard Racing said to, although, trying to clear any previous codes didnt work for me, mabe cuz I had no codes. Anyway, no blinking when I tried that procedure first. But, I did get the same blinking light combos for the part with the throttle twist that tells the ECU to learn the new mods, or w/e.
The lag through first and second is not completely gone; however, I can tell an increase in performance after putting about 100 miles on it.
I should be receiving my Kitaco Clutch cover and oil spinner deleter kit. Please don't crucify me, but i'm almost 1400 miles w/o first oil change. I don't have the time to do the oil changes the normal way, so i'm hoping this saves me time, and alsomaybe even helps with some of my throttle response and maybe smooth out that initial acceleration so I can have a more consistent pull at the start of the first 2 gears.

I am trying (emphasis on trying) to make my Grom into a hybrid street fighter/stunt bike. I am going to be swapping the headlights from my Ruckus to my Grom (wish I had done that before ordering new headlight for grom:crazy:)
The reason I mention this is because I would like to know if gearing/sprockets may help me find the balance of power and speed i'm looking for. I do not want to race track on this one. I am planning a build for a 2nd Grom in the future. This one I want to tool around town, have something with a custom unique style and that also I can do wheelies/stoppies/droppies/coppies/hoppies/joppies/bloppies...you get the idea.
I do not expect 70 mph+ with my current mods. And I don't think I even want to go faster that 70. I have maxed out at 65mph so far. The weather in Utah is super lame right now, so everyday I have tried, it's been abnormally windy. Is there a sprocket combo that will help me learn wheelies, give me good control while creeping in first gear trying to do sick stunts, and then if I need to, still let me break 65 mph so I can cruise w/o having to WOT on faster streets?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any Updates?

OP,

I just bought a new 2017 and after installing a Chimera intake I have the exact same issue as you.
I couldn’t have described it any better then you!

Did this pause or hesitation go away after some driving?

Thank you
:)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 and after installing a Chimera intake I have the exact same issue as you.
I couldn’t have described it any better then you!

Did this pause or hesitation go away after some driving?
Update:

Did the reset on the ECU. I did it the way the video from Hard Racing said to, although, trying to clear any previous codes didnt work for me, mabe cuz I had no codes. Anyway, no blinking when I tried that procedure first. But, I did get the same blinking light combos for the part with the throttle twist that tells the ECU to learn the new mods, or w/e.
The lag through first and second is not completely gone; however, I can tell an increase in performance after putting about 100 miles on it.
Like everyone else in this thread is saying Fuel Controller and Auto-tune...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Like everyone else in this thread is saying Fuel Controller and Auto-tune...
I am pretty sure that Grom Guy has a mostly-stock Grom.

I say he should (a) try swapping back to the stock air-box, (b) check all the wiring connections [maybe he knocked something loose when he installed the Chimera], and (c) re-set the stock ECU.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am pretty sure that Grom Guy has a mostly-stock Grom.

I say he should (a) try swapping back to the stock air-box, (b) check all the wiring connections [maybe he knocked something loose when he installed the Chimera], and (c) re-set the stock ECU.
Yes he is mostly stock... Read the original poster description of issue, then read his resolve.

He did not fix issue 100% He said it got better after ECU Reset. The problem both of them are having is Characteristic's of in-proper fueling.

So IMO Proper Fuel Managment is the True Fix...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YO YO YO BUENOSNOCHES IN DA BUILDIN'!!!
So stoked this thread may have helped an up and coming Grommer.

As far as my hesitation issue is concerned....haven't noticed it in about a year.
Why...not exactly sure, but my best guesses are from making the following changes:
-Power Commander Installed
-Dropped a sprocket size in the front
-New chain
-Got Married

Now, I aint no expert, but something tells me one of these, or a combination of these changes has helped smooth things out for ol' Shadynasty.
I'd love to hear how your Grom progresses as you make slight changes.

I am a firm believer that unless you have the money to change every single thing all at once that you want done, your Grom will go through different stages of performance based on how the mods synergize together.

When I got my exhaust system....BAM, instant power
Installed the Chimera intake...BOOM, more power, but slight acceleration issue
Sprocket change...BOW, more torque and faster off the line
Power Commander plugged in....BOOYAH, more consistent performance in all ranges

Groms are like teenagers, they are gonna be dope as hell one day, then get all sassy the next.
Going from stock to your perfect build, you will experience growing pains.

Luckily you have all these rad homies that have done tons of research and tested things out so you can know which direction you want to go.
Keep checking on here for tips and info...I have always been able to find answers to my questions on this forum....and I had a TON.
I hope the rest of your mods go well and you can enjoy your new Grom as much as I have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts