Honda Grom banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is the bike stock or do you know if the previous own screwed with the jetting? If everything is stock you shouldn’t need jetting. Matter of fact if everything is stock it should be running on the leaner side not rich. Try cleaning first before buying jets. Something is stuck open causing the fuel dump. Could also be the choke being stuck.
The previous owner put an after market exhaust on it but other than that I don’t think it has anything else. The air filter on the carb is the small silver metal one. I think that’s aftermarket but it could stock. I haven’t cleaned the little square oil filter on the bottom of the engine yet cause I couldn’t get the peg assembly off. I didn’t have the right tool but I did an oil change the bike says see15w-30 but I put 10w 40

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is the bike stock or do you know if the previous own screwed with the jetting? If everything is stock you shouldn’t need jetting. Matter of fact if everything is stock it should be running on the leaner side not rich. Try cleaning first before buying jets. Something is stuck open causing the fuel dump. Could also be the choke being stuck.
The owner did say a cable was being pinched on the choke on the top left side of the engine. He said when the bike dies like that move the choke around and it’ll run fine. It would run for maybe a minute and start bogging down. The black switch on the handlebars that’s supposed to be the choke doesn’t do anything.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
The owner did say a cable was being pinched on the choke on the top left side of the engine. He said when the bike dies like that move the choke around and it’ll run fine. It would run for maybe a minute and start bogging down. The black switch on the handlebars that’s supposed to be the choke doesn’t do anything.
You need to find out why it’s pinching and remedy the situation. That’s most likely your issue, your choke is stuck on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’ll post a pic of the choke where he said it was pinching and a pic of the carburetor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’ll post a link to a video on the bike when I upload it so I can show you guys the pinched wire he was talking about

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found a problem I’m guessing that’s the intake hose and it’s not going to anything

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This lines up perfect I took the metal filter and put the hose on the carburetor it likes up like it’s supposed to be there so could that be the issue?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Where is the pic of the pinched choke line? Did you try running the bike after hooking up the air box?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah I’ve been trying to start the bike with the air box attached and it doesn’t even start. It’ll start but idle at maybe 2 to 500 rpm then immediately die. I took videos of everything Like the choke and the carb and I’m about to upload it to YouTube as a private link and post it on here.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah I’ve been trying to start the bike with the air box attached and it doesn’t even start. It’ll start but idle at maybe 2 to 500 rpm then immediately die. I took videos of everything Like the choke and the carb and I’m about to upload it to YouTube as a private link and post it on here.
Can you adjust the idle using the idle screw? The previous owner most likely had to lower the idle after bypassing the air box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I tried the idle and the air fuel screw but nothing. Every time the engine Tried to start running Very little white smoke would come out the exhaust

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I believe I found the issue causing it. The choke lever on the carb was getting caught in the closed position the whole time. Wasn’t getting air at all

·
Registered
23 Posts
After having owned and played with one of these chinese grom clones before, you'll want to get a Mikuni VM22 carb (or a Nibbi, or whatever aftermarket you choose). This will allow you to play with the different jets inside the carb to tune it properly. Unlike F/I bikes, there's no computer that adjusts the air/fuel.

Second, the cone filter that you pulled off to put the intake tube to the airbox on. If you decide to run the cone filter, you can take the airbox off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After having owned and played with one of these chinese grom clones before, you'll want to get a Mikuni VM22 carb (or a Nibbi, or whatever aftermarket you choose). This will allow you to play with the different jets inside the carb to tune it properly. Unlike F/I bikes, there's no computer that adjusts the air/fuel.

Second, the cone filter that you pulled off to put the intake tube to the airbox on. If you decide to run the cone filter, you can take the airbox off.
I was about to take the stock air box off but there’s a line running from the air box to a small box mounted on the carb

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was about to take the stock air box off but there’s a line running from the air box to a small box mounted on the carb
Not really sure what line you're referring to. If yo have the Icebear Fuerza, it does NOT have all the emission stuff on there. If you have the Taotao Hellcat or the Boom Vader (or one of the rebranded Boom Vaders which will still register as a Baodiao Jiangsu BD125) then you will have an emissions control.

One of the lines going to the air box is the crankcase vent. This can be left open or you can put a breather filter on. Make sure this does't get kinked/pinched.

The emission equipment can be removed. You'll need a blockoff plate. You'll probably want to check Chinariders.net. Others have detailed out what to do to remove the emissions equipment and block it off.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts