Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’ve recently purchased a “Honda grom clone” and every time I would start the bike and it would idle really low and stall out. It would run fine for a few seconds then bog down and didn’t get any throttle response. Today I changed the oil and the spark plug. The spark plug was pitch black. Once I replaced it the bike ran better than it did before but would idle at 2000 rpm. I let it run for about a minute to get the oil circulating and I started to smell gas like the engine was getting too much gas and the spark plug started smoking. I immediately turned it off and pulled the spark plug out and it was black.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The spark plug on the left is the one that was in the bike when I got it. The one on the right is the one I replaced but burnt right after I installed it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what a f/I is but I believe it does have a carburetor. This is my first bike

·
Registered
450 Posts
He means is it fuel injected? Or carburetor?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I got it it would take a few tries to start then once it started it would run for a few seconds then bog down and stall. After changing the spark plug it sounds and feels Ike it’s idling right but when I give it throttle it doesn’t rev up it only goes to about 2500 rpm then starts to bog down

·
Registered
450 Posts
Carb needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Do a google seach on the carb that is in your Grom clone, there is a lot of Asian motors that use the same or simular carb. You can also do a google search on how to remove the jet on your carb and check the number on the main jet. Example after removing the main jet there will be a stamped number on it like 76 or something like that and I think you want to get a jet kit that comes with different sizes so if you have a 76 and your spark plug is gunked you want to go down to a 68 or something like that.

Like I said do a google search on Asian engines and someone might have posted something on how to change out the main jets.

here is a example of clone groms

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also tried to run the bike yesterday and I couldn’t get it over 12mph it would bog down after full throttle

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
It sounds like the carb is the issue. If the previous owner didn’t mess with the jetting then it’s probably just needing a thorough cleaning. I’m wondering if the float is stuck which is causing the fuel dump. The Chinese carbs on those bike haven’t been known to be the most reliable. All the info CiscoSanJose gave you will help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like the carb is the issue. If the previous owner didn’t mess with the jetting then it’s probably just needing a thorough cleaning. I’m wondering if the float is stuck which is causing the fuel dump. The Chinese carbs on those bike haven’t been known to be the most reliable. All the info CiscoSanJose gave you will help.
Yeah i watched the video and it seems like it’s the issue. So should I just take it off and clean it or should I get new jets or should I just replace it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah i watched the video and it seems like it’s the issue. So should I just take it off and clean it or should I get new jets or should I just replace it.
Is the bike stock or do you know if the previous own screwed with the jetting? If everything is stock you shouldn’t need jetting. Matter of fact if everything is stock it should be running on the leaner side not rich. Try cleaning first before buying jets. Something is stuck open causing the fuel dump. Could also be the choke being stuck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts