Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a kitaco cover and while i was at it i added a takegawa oil pump and a billet clutch plate with heavy springs. After i buttoned up back up added oil and started it, i have good clutch lever feel but the clutch won't disengage. I think, i can shift through the gears and release the clutch lever and the bike will not pull. Any thoughts on what i could have done wrong? Do i just need to readjust the clutch? Did i torque plate down too tight? Appreciate any help, Thanks!
phone 014.JPG

·
Vendor
4,005 Posts
I just installed a kitaco cover and while i was at it i added a takegawa oil pump and a billet clutch plate with heavy springs. After i buttoned up back up added oil and started it, i have good clutch lever feel but the clutch won't disengage. I think, i can shift through the gears and release the clutch lever and the bike will not pull. Any thoughts on what i could have done wrong? Do i just need to readjust the clutch? Did i torque plate down too tight? Appreciate any help, Thanks!
View attachment 25423

If your clutch won't "DIS-engage" ...... meaning you pull in the lever, and the bike keeps moving forward, then it sounds like the plunger inside the cover is not pushing in on the clutch.
It's rare, but sometimes guys dont set the plunger correctly inside the cover, and when the Lever is pulled the plunger doesn't move.

The other possibility could be the Billet plate was not aligned correctly or the bearing wasn't set correctly , which is also not allowing the plates to pull apart far enough to "dis-engage".

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply HardRacing. I may have described my issue incorrectly. It is actually opposite of that. I have great lever feel but it is like the clutch is stuck in the on position. The bike does not try to pull at all. I'm going to try what Stokd GE advised and go from there. I do want to thank you for the Kitaco install video, I have made a few purchases from you guys and the service and install videos are really great!

·
Vendor
4,005 Posts
Thanks for the reply HardRacing. I may have described my issue incorrectly. It is actually opposite of that. I have great lever feel but it is like the clutch is stuck in the on position. The bike does not try to pull at all. I'm going to try what Stokd GE advised and go from there. I do want to thank you for the Kitaco install video, I have made a few purchases from you guys and the service and install videos are really great!

Thank you very much for the kind words.

We greatly appreciate that.

As for your clutch, since it's not "engaging" :) Strokd_GE is correct, start with cable slack.

If that's not the problem, could be alignment inside. Could also be the plunger is getting hung up.

Also Did you change to a different type of Motor Oil ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm having a similar issue... I just installed the Kitaco cover, Takegawa oil pump, billet clutch plate and new springs, and now when I get going past 1st gear it feels like the clutch is still engaged even though it's fully let out. I can shift up through the gears but it hardly pulls at all. The is my first oil change since getting the bike used, I have no way to contact the seller and am at 3300 miles so I put a Mobil 1 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic. Is the clutch plate not set right? Just want to get some thoughts before I split the cases again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I'm having a similar issue... I just installed the Kitaco cover, Takegawa oil pump, billet clutch plate and new springs, and now when I get going past 1st gear it feels like the clutch is still engaged even though it's fully let out. I can shift up through the gears but it hardly pulls at all. The is my first oil change since getting the bike used, I have no way to contact the seller and am at 3300 miles so I put a Mobil 1 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic. Is the clutch plate not set right? Just want to get some thoughts before I split the cases again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You used 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic oil, or 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil?

So when its in gear, but you pull the clutch in, the engine will keep running, right? Does it feel like the clutch is trying to engage still?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You used 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic oil, or 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil?

So when its in gear, but you pull the clutch in, the engine will keep running, right? Does it feel like the clutch is trying to engage still?
I used 4 stroke 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil. And as far as my issue, I fixed it. Turned out it all I needed to do was loosen up the clutch cable. Once I loosened it up, the bike was right back to normal. I didn't think it could possibly be such an easily solution. Actually it's not back to normal, it seems to rev and put power to the wheel faster. Thankfully I didn't need to open it all back up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am going to put the csk197 springs in the stock clutch as for clutch cable im going to try shorten it by 20mm as i have it fully extended at the lever end and clutch side to get it to engage properly.. will let you know how i go

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey guys im having a similar issue and was curious if anyone could help. I have 2018 with 140 miles, I swapped the springs for sex machine racing 30% stiffer and I did change all the springs not just 3, I also added the koso lifter plate and when I bolted everything back it bogs alittle when coming of the clutch and It has power but no where near what it had before.. when I go to dump the clutch it just revs and slowly takes off, there is no bite to it even when I go for a cruise it screaming but the bikes not going faster. please help lol

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
hey guys im having a similar issue and was curious if anyone could help. I have 2018 with 140 miles, I swapped the springs for sex machine racing 30% stiffer and I did change all the springs not just 3, I also added the koso lifter plate and when I bolted everything back it bogs alittle when coming of the clutch and It has power but no where near what it had before.. when I go to dump the clutch it just revs and slowly takes off, there is no bite to it even when I go for a cruise it screaming but the bikes not going faster. please help lol
Usually Sex Machine springs are 60% stiffer, not sure what is the wt of the rider but you should have also replaced the clutch plates with SEX machine stuff. The spring holder unit should have been a CNC unit such as what RPM "Race Proven Motor" makes. Clutch plates soaked in over night and installed the next day.

Tips on HD spring install and Sex machine clutch plates, thanks to BiLL Ramseyer for posting on youtube.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There are several of us on this forum, including me, that has had probs with the Koso plate. Personally I do not think the hole is bored deep enough for the bearing.

Ditch the Koso plate and either go back to stock, or another better machined plate.

Reactions: Paultergeist

·
Vendor
4,005 Posts
There are several of us on this forum, including me, that has had probs with the Koso plate. Personally I do not think the hole is bored deep enough for the bearing.

Ditch the Koso plate and either go back to stock, or another better machined plate.

This is True.
We've heard the same thing.
That's why we only opted to carry one version.

https://store.hardracing.com/RP-BSP.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will attest to this. Wish I'd seen this post b4 installing this koso plate today with the new cover and stunt pump. After closing it up and giving her a test run.... no power, barely would engage. Cable adjustments helped 5% maybe. Found this post and swapped it back out for OEM plate, problem solved... Thanks guys, saved me a lot of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts