Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which helmet / brain bucket / skid lid do you guys wear?

I'm currently wearing an HJC AC-12 Carbon and I really like it because it's light weight, but it's long in the tooth so it's time to replace it. My biggest complaint is the ventilation isn't good.

I'm looking for a light weight helmet that meets all the ratings (DOT, Snell, SHARP) and has good ventilation while still being reasonably quiet.

I was looking at the Arai Corsair-X and the Shoei RF-1200, but I'm reading a ton of mixed stuff about the noise and ventilation on those helmets. The cost of the Arai probably rules that out. The Shoeis, which are just as good IMO, are just over half the price of the Arais. I do like my HJC helmets (both dirt and street) so I'm also considering those. My one complaint is that both are heavier than my current HJC Carbon. I'm also looking at HJC RPHA 11 Pro and RPHA 70 ST.

Do any of you guys have the above helmets and can you give me any feedback?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had an Shoei RF-1000 and upgraded to a RF-1200. It seems like they’ve improved the aerodynamics of it. I don’t feel much drag when I turn my head like it use to, not that there was much to begin with. The ventilation is comfortable during hot days here in Los Angeles. A quick crack of the visor cools my face whenever I’m sitting at light for too long. It’s very light weight and doesn’t strain my neck. I don’t know how it compares noise wise to other helmets, but I don’t find it noisy or loud. I also ride with ear plugs to cut down on the dB of my Yoshimura exhaust. I’d suggest test fitting the helmets. I found that Aria didn’t fit my head shape as comfortably as the Shoei. The Aria M was too tight and the L was too loose. The Shoei M was perfect. The face pads were snug initially, and have conformed to my face shape since. I’d recommend the helmet.

SPEND!!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I use a Bell MX-9 MIPS helmet with 100% Accuri Googles on the Grom. On my big bikes I use a Arai Signet Q but will be getting the Signet X in the near future.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an Shoei RF-1000 and upgraded to a RF-1200. It seems like they’ve improved the aerodynamics of it. I don’t feel much drag when I turn my head like it use to, not that there was much to begin with. The ventilation is comfortable during hot days here in Los Angeles. A quick crack of the visor cools my face whenever I’m sitting at light for too long. It’s very light weight and doesn’t strain my neck. I don’t know how it compares noise wise to other helmets, but I don’t find it noisy or loud. I also ride with ear plugs to cut down on the dB of my Yoshimura exhaust. I’d suggest test fitting the helmets. I found that Aria didn’t fit my head shape as comfortably as the Shoei. The Aria M was too tight and the L was too loose. The Shoei M was perfect. The face pads were snug initially, and have conformed to my face shape since. I’d recommend the helmet.

SPEND!!!
Good to hear that about the RF-1200. Both the Arai Corsair and Shoei fit me just fine. The Shoei is a ton tighter, but other than that they both feel good. I tried them both on numerous times at the same shop and I couldn't pick a clear winner.

I use a Bell MX-9 MIPS helmet with 100% Accuri Googles on the Grom. On my big bikes I use a Arai Signet Q but will be getting the Signet X in the near future.
I tried a Bell Qualifier helmet (flat black with white racing stripes) and I loved the look, but I didn't like the fit at all. It felt like the pads were right on my ears and I had no room for my ears which are probably smaller than average.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I tried a Bell Qualifier helmet (flat black with white racing stripes) and I loved the look, but I didn't like the fit at all. It felt like the pads were right on my ears and I had no room for my ears which are probably smaller than average.
The Bell Qualifier didnt fit me very well either. I have a long oval head so a lot of helmets dont fit well. The Arai Signet Q feels like it was custom made for my head. I love the helmet. The MX-9 MIPS being an offroad style helmet fits great. Plenty of air flow but its loud. I wear earplugs anyway so it doesnt bother me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
RPHA 70 ST for the last year. Absolutely love it. I always used half shells on the road but told myself no way would I be doing lane splitting with a half shell. The RPHA 70 is lighter than my old helmet even with all the comms and gopro on it. Great airflow and minimum drag at speed, San Diego Summer and "Winter" and never had any problems with heat and heat, lol. Absolutely love the built in sunvisor as well, I was tired of always needing to have a pair Oakley M frames with both dark and clear lenses.

The one thing I don't like about it is the BIG ASS HJC emblem right on the damn forehead.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got a big Asian head and rock Arai. I've got an older Quantum and a new XD4 with the peak removed.

I keep seeing the Ruroc Atlas everywhere and I'm pretty sure they are stalking me.

·
Vendor
1,867 Posts
I’m a helmet snob, and though a tight wad, am more than willing to shell out cash on a good lid. I’ve owned too many to count, but Shoei and Bell for me best. Shoei being a bit more of a high end quality piece, Bell being close. Both better than the HJC, which I do feel is a good helmet for the price point. I have little doubt Aria makes great lids, but they’re too heavy for a premium unit to me. Ultimately, it depends on your head shape, and there’s no replacement for trying them on before purchase.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
HJC CL-17 in matte black with the Combat graphic.

Coming from a Ruckus family we only had half helmets and even then would only wear them on long journeys. Free state no helmet law but decided to get a full face helmet, those bugs hurt more at 60 then they do at 35.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Bell Qualifier didnt fit me very well either. I have a long oval head so a lot of helmets dont fit well. The Arai Signet Q feels like it was custom made for my head. I love the helmet. The MX-9 MIPS being an offroad style helmet fits great. Plenty of air flow but its loud. I wear earplugs anyway so it doesnt bother me.
I don't do earplugs which is why I won't want an obnoxiously loud helmet.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I almost always wear sunglasses or safety glasses in my helmet so that I can ride with the shield up. I like the wind flow. I've always been that way. I only put the shield down on highways really.

RPHA 70 ST for the last year. Absolutely love it. I always used half shells on the road but told myself no way would I be doing lane splitting with a half shell. The RPHA 70 is lighter than my old helmet even with all the comms and gopro on it. Great airflow and minimum drag at speed, San Diego Summer and "Winter" and never had any problems with heat and heat, lol. Absolutely love the built in sunvisor as well, I was tired of always needing to have a pair Oakley M frames with both dark and clear lenses.

The one thing I don't like about it is the BIG ASS HJC emblem right on the damn forehead.
I believe it was the RPHA 70 that I tried on and I thought the sun visor was useless. It didn't come down far enough for me. Constantly seeing the edge of that lens would drive me bonkers! I wish they came down farther. Doesn't that bother you?

I've got a big Asian head and rock Arai. I've got an older Quantum and a new XD4 with the peak removed.

I keep seeing the Ruroc Atlas everywhere and I'm pretty sure they are stalking me.
I've seen Ruroc, but is that a new brand? I'm not willing to be a beta tester with my dome piece when it comes to new helmet brands. I did it back in the day in the dirt when HJC was newer, but I was young and stupid then. Now I'm just stupid. LOL

I’m a helmet snob, and though a tight wad, am more than willing to shell out cash on a good lid. I’ve owned too many to count, but Shoei and Bell for me best. Shoei being a bit more of a high end quality piece, Bell being close. Both better than the HJC, which I do feel is a good helmet for the price point. I have little doubt Aria makes great lids, but they’re too heavy for a premium unit to me. Ultimately, it depends on your head shape, and there’s no replacement for trying them on before purchase.....
I definitely try before I buy. I keep leaning towards Shoei. It just bothers me that it's heavier than my HJC. And I wish they had better graphics schemes. The Dedicated TC-5 scheme is the only RF-1200 paint that I really like, but it's a matte finish so I wonder how hard it will be to clean and I also wonder how it will hold up over time.

HJC CL-17 in matte black with the Combat graphic.

Coming from a Ruckus family we only had half helmets and even then would only wear them on long journeys. Free state no helmet law but decided to get a full face helmet, those bugs hurt more at 60 then they do at 35.
I started riding go-karts when I was 3. I could drive karts years before I learned to ride a bicycle and my dad instilled wearing a helmet into me. I couldn't even sit on my go kart without a helmet and it's stuck with me to this day. Yeah I've ridden things without helmets, but not for street rides or for anything more than a test ride. I tried riding my Buell once without a helmet and I couldn't stand it. I felt like I was being suffocated by the wind.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I believe it was the RPHA 70 that I tried on and I thought the sun visor was useless. It didn't come down far enough for me. Constantly seeing the edge of that lens would drive me bonkers! I wish they came down farther. Doesn't that bother you?
There is only about a 3/4" gap on the bottom of the lens when it is all the way down. Maybe the helmet you tried had a defective mechanism, or my forehead is shorter placing my eyes sockets higher in the helmet. Eitherway, for me I don't see the edge of the lens while using it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Currently I own 2 RF-1200's and 2 Bell Star's.

Personally I think there both loud. The bell seems lighter going down the road. Fit with the bell is top drawer.

Transition lens are cool, but wish it was darker on a bright day.

I have heard good things with the Schuberth concerning noise, or lack thereof. Prolly try that one next.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is only about a 3/4" gap on the bottom of the lens when it is all the way down. Maybe the helmet you tried had a defective mechanism, or my forehead is shorter placing my eyes sockets higher in the helmet. Eitherway, for me I don't see the edge of the lens while using it.
Interesting. I'll have to try it on again. Maybe it was the Shoei ST helmet I tried on that had the tinted shield.

Currently I own 2 RF-1200's and 2 Bell Star's.

Personally I think there both loud. The bell seems lighter going down the road. Fit with the bell is top drawer.

Transition lens are cool, but wish it was darker on a bright day.

I have heard good things with the Schuberth concerning noise, or lack thereof. Prolly try that one next.
Do you have anything to compare the Shoei to besides the Bell - specifically in terms of noise?

Schuberth aren't sold around me so I have no place to try them on. And to be honest they are quite ugly IMO. I'd still check them out if a local dealer carried them, but I have not found one except, shudder, Cycle Gear. Trying on helmets there, since it's not far from the ghetto, gives me the skeeves.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do you have anything to compare the Shoei to besides the Bell - specifically in terms of noise?
Nothing as of late.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another helmet to look into is the LS2. I and several of my riding friends have them. They are well known and liked in Europe and are making quite a charge here in the U.S.. They offer many of the high end helmet features at a reasonable price. I have had back surgery and problems with my neck for many years. So your hearing from someone who cannot handle a heavy helmet. I sneeze wrong and my neck acts up! I have only ridden a street bike for a year but I really love my LS2 Stream Axis. It was affordable and after the break in period its has been great. It bothered my jaw at the cheek area some until it began to break in and now it's just like putting on a hat. Perfect! Ventilation is good (2 ports on top and one on the mouth piece which all open/close.) I have taken a couple of slow speed spills in gravel hitting my helmet on the ground and it almost wasn't noticeable with all the padding and the quality shell. It has a drop down sun visor that can be used in a sec by push of a tab, padded quick chin clip/release, anti fog, and more. I also purchased an LS2 mirrored shield that looks simply bad a##. Check it out as it can't hurt to look into. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2-stream-axis-helmet

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another helmet to look into is the LS2. I and several of my riding friends have them. They are well known and liked in Europe and are making quite a charge here in the U.S.. They offer many of the high end helmet features at a reasonable price. I have had back surgery and problems with my neck for many years. So your hearing from someone who cannot handle a heavy helmet. I sneeze wrong and my neck acts up! I have only ridden a street bike for a year but I really love my LS2 Stream Axis. It was affordable and after the break in period its has been great. It bothered my jaw at the cheek area some until it began to break in and now it's just like putting on a hat. Perfect! Ventilation is good (2 ports on top and one on the mouth piece which all open/close.) I have taken a couple of slow speed spills in gravel hitting my helmet on the ground and it almost wasn't noticeable with all the padding and the quality shell. It has a drop down sun visor that can be used in a sec by push of a tab, padded quick chin clip/release, anti fog, and more. I also purchased an LS2 mirrored shield that looks simply bad a##. Check it out as it can't hurt to look into. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2-stream-axis-helmet
I've never heard of LS2, but they are nice looking lids. There's a store about a half hour away from me so I'll check them out if I can. Thanks for the heads up!

I will say 3.58 pounds isn't light to me, but I'm spoiled with my carbon helmet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bell Bullitt carbon with gold iridium visor, loving it!

Bit of a retro look, but so much visibility, feels like I'm not wearing a helmet at all!

Fits me like a dream too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I jus got the Bell Race Star Flex helmet few days ago. I was using my Bell Moto Flex helmet. overall i love the RaceStar helmet, it's so light weight from the 3kCarbon shell and you see so much. the retail price was like 725 but got it for 350 from revzila. getting my girl a RaceStar now. I've always been the guy who wants a good helmet in racing mx and from having crash in my Moto9 flex I knew I had to get a good Bell Helmet for the road. if look for what helmet provided the best protection and look aside the price point. find on you love and then search around for a place that has the best selling price on them. holidays sale helps to on discounts and stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts