Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am long time lurker of the forums. I am about to purchase a grom to back into riding around town and using it as my commuter.

I had a question, when I used to ride 8 years ago I had a spare Shoei helmet that i never used. It is brand new from the factory and its just been sitting.

Question is, I've read that helmets go "Bad". Is this true or is this a marketing sham from the manufactures to get people to recycle through helmets?

Should I dump this helmet/use it as paper weight and get a new one or is this one still good to ride in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
After 8 years, I'd say get a new one.

Yes, it is true that the helmet will not perform as well as it is designed to after years of sitting.

EPS does degrade and its characteristics do change over time.

Your head is precious!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The helmet is probably okay, but the guts, not so much. If the helmet is a quality one, talk to Shoei about sending it in to be rebuilt (if possible). Either way, Shoei can answer your question for you. My wife and I have been riding for many, many years, and we bought new helmets after leaving the 4-wheeler world and re-entering that of the motorcycles. New features on the helmets are really nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the feedback. I guess my next question is.. if I don't want to spend that kind of money on a helmet now, since I will be mainly riding back roads, any helmet recommendations that you guys might have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly Bell and HJC make great helmets for the money. Bell’s Race Star series and HJC’s RPHA series are pretty ubiquitous on race tracks around the country, and you can often get great deals on last season’s graphics designs (like under $300 kinds of deals.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts