Honda Grom banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently got a Grom and am having the hardest time getting the front wheel up more than 6 inches to a foot. I'm no stranger to clutch-ups so that's why this is so frustrating. Even under 5mph + near redline + pulling on the bars I can't seem to get it up. Could the clutch be an issue? After watching a few videos it's pretty clear I shouldn't be having this hard of a time. When I drop the clutch I don't get that snap of power like one would expect.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: After going out and trying some more, I took out my frustrations by man-handling the bike even more. I just had to learn the finesse of the "yank". I guess I thought I wouldn't have to do it that much from what these Youtubers were saying, but after reaching the balance point countless times it makes sense now -.- I guess I've just been spoiled from liter bikes/600s for the past few years. I still can't get to the balance point without dropping the clutch though. Maybe I need to yank even harder? Thanks for the comments everyone!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same issue when I first got my grom, i've never been the best at wheelies though..Once the engine is broken in it gets slightly easier. I threw on a 14t front sprocket and can rip wheelies in first without using the clutch at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One thing that's helped me with getting the front up is really choking up on the grips an getting your index fingers as close to the clutch pivot as possible. I also hear the speeds are 11mph in first and 21mph in second. Other than that sounds about right, redline & drop.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't wheelie for [email protected] so have been practicing, you've pretty much got to sit right on the back of the seat, Rev it and drop the clutch... Think I've got it up a foot before I chicken out lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Few days ago I got it up to the balance point for the first time but it freaked me out(was expecting a mini-wheelie, still learning) so I panicked an hit the rear brake. I wanna learn to ride them. Planning on throwing a 14t on to offset the kitaco clutch cover (that extra 2lbs helps get them up).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wasnt really trying last night, but i wheelied at 15 (indicated) with a 17t front on the koso4v by pulling back a bit and blipping the throttle. totally wasnt expecting it.

Theres someone on here that made a decent video where he showed doing it. just stay calm, no sudden movements, keep it smooth, and practice. And a big empty parking lot helps too.
Ill look for the video.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The bike has like 8hp. You're not going to be able to clutch up with speeds over 10mph very easily. most of the epic grom wheelies you see are done by starting the wheelie from a stop or slow speed and shifting up through the gears while holding it up. You can clutch up at faster speeds in a sense but it's really about physically using the fork like a pogo stick and popping it up.

Also lean back lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasnt really trying last night, but i wheelied at 15 (indicated) with a 17t front on the koso4v by pulling back a bit and blipping the throttle. totally wasnt expecting it.

Theres someone on here that made a decent video where he showed doing it. just stay calm, no sudden movements, keep it smooth, and practice. And a big empty parking lot helps too.
Ill look for the video.
I know exactly what video you're talking about. Still having no luck! I'm almost convinced it's not user error. It seems like the clutch isn't dropping fast enough?

The bike has like 8hp. You're not going to be able to clutch up with speeds over 10mph very easily. most of the epic grom wheelies you see are done by starting the wheelie from a stop or slow speed and shifting up through the gears while holding it up. You can clutch up at faster speeds in a sense but it's really about physically using the fork like a pogo stick and popping it up.

Also lean back lol.
Yeah, I'm trying at like 5-8mph. Dropping the clutch near redline + pulling on the bars should be enough, no? Others have said it may be easier once the engine breaks in more. I don't mind changing out the sprocket, but it bugs me that I can't do it with stock gearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Those who are dumping the clutch at WOT do not know how to wheelie. You are just burning your clutch up doing so.
Could you elaborate? I'm not new to wheelies/clutch-ups (though I am on this small of a bike). What's your technique?

EDIT: After going out and trying some more, I took out my frustrations by man-handling the bike even more. I just had to learn the finesse of the "yank". I guess I thought I wouldn't have to do it that much from what these Youtubers were saying, but after reaching the balance point countless times it makes sense now -.- I guess I've just been spoiled from liter bikes/600s for the past few years. I still can't get to the balance point without dropping the clutch though. Maybe I need to yank even harder? Thanks for the comments everyone!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I guess it comes from 17 years of dirbiking experience, and another 10 years of street riding bikes with the ability to power wheelie. I hardly use the clutch on any of my bikes to bring em up into a wheelie.

I can get the grom to clutch up in 2nd gear if i want to, but typically power wheelie in first then click 2nd when i get to the balancing point. All just comes with experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it comes from 17 years of dirbiking experience, and another 10 years of street riding bikes with the ability to power wheelie. I hardly use the clutch on any of my bikes to bring em up into a wheelie.

I can get the grom to clutch up in 2nd gear if i want to, but typically power wheelie in first then click 2nd when i get to the balancing point. All just comes with experience.
What are you doing differently from a clutch up? Also, is it stock gearing? I'm assuming the only difference is a harder bounce of the forks?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
What are you doing differently from a clutch up? Also, is it stock gearing? I'm assuming the only difference is a harder bounce of the forks?

I rock 15/37 gearing which is just a smidge more than ye ole -1 (14t) front. That stated I never really had a problem with the stock gearing getting it to pop up without redline clutch dumping in first. Just bounce the front n yank on the bars!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts