Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think your on to something. Lol.
I bought a new flat seat from MX125, it was cheap but total junk! Fit and finish was horrible and I threw it away, sucked. Didn't consider modifying stock seat. If it works out update the post.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a Bride flat profile seat for the FS. Looked great, but was more uncomfortable than stock (how? I hear you ask) so I took it off after one ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking of shaving the seat flat on my sf but was wondering if anyone has done it first
I haven't shaved the Grom seat (picking up my wife's Grom today, and it came with a very comfy aftermarket seat, brand unknown), but I have worked on many others, so here are some general observations:

1. Remove the cover (duh) by pulling out the staples with pliers
2. Wear a dust filter mask
3. Depending on how much foam you want to remove, the necessary tools are a very sharp, long knife, and a power sander. I found a rotary disk difficult to control; a belt sander may work better, while a palm sander will offer most control (but also require the most work). Start with a very coarse grit (60-80); finish by hand sanding. The sharp edges of the stock seat can be reshaped entirely with sanding. More extensive reshaping requires cutting to a rough profile, then sanding.
4. When you have achieved the desired shape, place a layer of either some polyester batting (found in most hobby stores) or a thin sheet of memory foam with a cloth backing between seat and cover. You can usually pick up a scrap big enough for a motorcycle seat at an auto upholstery shop. OR, go to Target, Walmart, etc., and look for memory foam mats in the kitchen/bath section, cut to fit, then strip off one layer of the fabric backing.

5. The hardest part is putting the cover back on, unless you have a power stapling gun. A heavy duty spring stapler can be used, but expect to have to re-shoot 30-50% of the staples. Start from the front, and work your way back.

See also videos on Youtube, such as this one:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm anxiously waiting for my Corbin seat. After the crappy stock forks, the seat was my #2 largest complaint with the Grom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking of shaving the seat flat on my sf but was wondering if anyone has done it first
A friend of mine, an upholsterer shaved our 2019 Grom seats as the pillion seats have a stepped hump, put different vinyl over them £100 for whole job

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
888 Posts
I'm pretty sure I seen a youtube video where it was done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts