Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I start my grom the guage panel goes blank and restarts like when I trun the key for the first time turning on the bike.
I have check the battery and its fully charged and even placed it on a battery tender and it still does the same thing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
Put a multimeter across the battery terminals. When you start the bike, you will notice that the battery's voltage drops low. After the bike starts full power is restored. If your battery is in good condition, I suspect that because of what sounds like a BBK, more voltage / amperage is needed to start. You might spring for the Kitty Cat starter. Or a better battery. Or do nothing and continue as you are. You are not harming anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1.

It once didn't started because it slept outside in the cold, temps' went down to -5°c (23 ferenheit)
I just pulled it clutched on first and it started right away. It's so easy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a multimeter across the battery terminals. When you start the bike, you will notice that the battery's voltage drops low. After the bike starts full power is restored. If your battery is in good condition, I suspect that because of what sounds like a BBK, more voltage / amperage is needed to start. You might spring for the Kitty Cat starter. Or a better battery. Or do nothing and continue as you are. You are not harming anything.
What i have tried
1. Had a volt meter across the battery. It started just fine, however the volts dropped from 13 to 9 when starting. Once started it maintained its voltage.
2. I would turn off the key and the voltage on the battery started to drop .01 volts every 3- 5 seconds. (thinking it could be a short.)
3. It started happening this winter. (it is the original battery on the bike; maybe time to replace?)
4. If I turn on my bike with out starting it and leave the ignition on for about 30 seconds then start there is usually not an issues, (I say usually because there was an exception one time)
5. The kick stand switch works. (Manual said to check it),
6. So does the neutral switch. (Wont start in gear)
7. I dont have a BBK but a cam, There were times when you could tell starting it that it was on the lobe but it never caused the panel to do that.
8. Checked all fuses and everything is ok.
9.I dont have any electronic devices plugged into the bike. Its all stock wiring and no LED's, speedo healer or anything.

The only thing that I have not been able to get is a reading of the battery before I start it and it does the dash thing. I will try in the morning when the bike is cold and it will be chilly in the morning as well.

Honestly Kinda stumped. If there is a short then I will be chasing it for days....
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My guess is replace the battery.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out this morning and tested and the battery was at 12.5. When I started it it dropped to 9 volts and started normally and voltage went to 13......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts