Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In traffic they dont accelerate fast enough so you can dictate position in traffic flow to other vehicles. Mine tops out at 55 with my 250 pounds aboard.

But against the wind or up hill it might not do 50. Every other bike I have ridden if I wanted to I could quickly and easily outpace traffic. I could pass who I wanted and fit in where ever I wanted, when I wanted. No matter how fast they were going.

The Grom makes me think more about it. And it also possible in some situations that I cant do what I want when I want to.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In traffic they dont accelerate fast enough so you can dictate position in traffic flow to other vehicles. Mine tops out at 55 with my 250 pounds aboard.

But against the wind or up hill it might not do 50. Every other bike I have ridden if I wanted to I could quickly and easily outpace traffic. I could pass who I wanted and fit in where ever I wanted, when I wanted. No matter how fast they were going.

The Grom makes me think more about it. And it also possible in some situations that I cant do what I want when I want to.
The Grom is best suited (for me) in 45MPH or less traffic. Above that, you make a valid point. I am able to ride in several nearby towns and never get into higher speed limits than 45. I have tons-o-fun around my towns and never feel under powered. It can do 55mph+, but most around here travel 5-10 over so to me I completely feel outgunned in a 55mph speed limit.

If I want to travel faster, I take my bigger bike.

The Grom is a 125cc mini so it is limited in ability. Some consideration should be given as to whether you need more out of your bike than it can deliver. I would not change a thing. I think it is a hoot!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think this post is more about informing people that may be used to bigger faster bikes. This post could save someones life or keep them from getting injured.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There are those who argue that it is safer to get ahead of traffic, meaning the Grom would be too slow...although it does keep up with city traffic. Probably the less you change lanes though the better. And speed is often associated with accidents too, so I'm not so sure you are safer with a faster bike. Fast bikes in the hands of new riders are certainly not safe according to statistics. Knowing what you can't do, you may just be keeping out of danger. I admit it is fun to accelerate fast and get ahead of traffic though.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't know about that mortal. I think those who have bigger, faster bikes know that a 125 is a small motor and probably won't propel you much better than a scooter of equal size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't really think there made for the freeway. City fun, . They have tons of applications but freeway use. Not me

·
Registered
246 Posts
There are those who argue that it is safer to get ahead of traffic, meaning the Grom would be too slow...although it does keep up with city traffic. Probably the less you change lanes though the better. And speed is often associated with accidents too, so I'm not so sure you are safer with a faster bike. Fast bikes in the hands of new riders are certainly not safe according to statistics. Knowing what you can't do, you may just be keeping out of danger. I admit it is fun to accelerate fast and get ahead of traffic though.
It is safer to be ahead in traffic, one of the reasons filtering (lane splitting) is popular elsewhere in the world.

Speed is often blamed for crashes (We safety professionals don't use the word "accident" we use crash because it is predictable and avoidable) because it is determinable and reportable. Actual crash causes are as varied as are people. There are always a confluence of errors that add up to a crash, One major one involves the rider the rider allowing the situation to provide more information than they can process effectively.

Once the person cannot process the information effectively with their fore-brain, the mid and hind brain functions get involved. These portions of the brain have no capacity to reason or measure and the resulting gross motor functions are not conducive to being in control of a complex apparatus nearly always resulting in loss of control and the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

Think of this when you hear someone explaining with great detail their efforts to prevent a crash and then understand that these are mostly rationalizations created by the fore-brain to explain it's absence in the process. Under extreme stress the fore-brain takes a recess so that the other parts of the brain can get down to the business of trying to prevent injury and ensure survival. The fact of the matter is that physics works faster than the brain and things like choice reaction time cannot be effective in such a high speed environment.

Claiming to need a faster bike to be safe is reasonable, as long as the "why's" are understood and appreciated. Most often though people over estimate this importance and use the extra grunt as a "patch" for poor behavioral and planning techniques.

The idea is to make things happen using a well conceived plan established a long time in advance. If put in a position where you are reacting to things that are happening, you will fall behind and eventually pay a price.

Part of this equation being familiar with the vehicles operation, the forces involved, and what the bike will and won't tolerate in terms of inputs BEFORE heading out into an environment filled with a plethora of new information to process. Motorcycles are about twice as complicated as cars to operate and require significantly more attention.

The Grom can be used to high effect in the appropriate environment, once outside of this environment the risk increases exponentially because you then begin to rely on other traffic doing the right thing, which can lead to disappointment and doom.

I don't really think there made for the freeway. City fun, . They have tons of applications but freeway use. Not me
A lot of states have displacement regulations on controlled access highways. Arizona this is 150cc. Grom isn't a freeway traveler around here.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yea, 125cc dude. Its like ordering a 99cent sandwich an expecting a double quarter pounder with bacon lettuce an tomato. Buying a honda fit an expecting it to perform like a nsx. Nissan leaf to gtr. Grom to 600rr. 4 cylinder to v8. What do u expect?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
The issue is you're a 250lb guy on a bike that has a 300lb max load rating and you're expecting it to run like it has a guy half your size on it, it makes less than 10hp.. Lets be realistic

if you love the bike but feel like its a little down on the get-up performance then change that, spend 10$ and run a 13t front sprocket or buy a 150cc big bore.. Or do both! But don't act surprised when those 10 ponies aren't ripping 3rd gear wheelies to get out in front of traffic

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I just don't understand what some people are expecting when they buy a 125cc bike. If you're expecting the grom to hit 80mph and stay with or get ahead of highway traffic you are sadly mistsken. It's made for fun and around town commuting. All these people saying oh man its too slow or can't do this or can't do that need to sell me their grom and buy something else.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts