Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this fear that my Grom will arrive laden with ridiculous charcoal canisters and hoses jutting out from under the covers. None have hit any showrooms yet, has anyone seen a California model Grom yet?

This entry in from the Honda Grom website has me concerned - California models "may differ slightly due to emissions equipment"....
specsCapture.JPG

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have this fear that my Grom will arrive laden with ridiculous charcoal canisters and hoses jutting out from under the covers. None have hit any showrooms yet, has anyone seen a California model Grom yet?
It will be okay. The little 125 won't emit enough emissions to bother your nanny state. No gun holsters will be allowed. And no shotgun rack on the back is available to California Groms. Only an In N Out double double holder is the only option.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be okay. The little 125 won't emit enough emissions to bother your nanny state. No gun holsters will be allowed. And no shotgun rack on the back is available to California Groms. Only an In N Out double double holder is the only option.
LOL!

Well, I got news for you, and pictures ( I got lots of pictures if you haven't noticed yet).

Here is my 1993 CT70. This bike is only 70cc and look at the ridiculous emissions junk Honda was forced to hang on it back in '93!

webIMG_8197.jpg

This is off-topic but in response to your "no gun holsters" comment, here is my camping bike. A shotgun as too big for a Monkey.
web20130626_120754.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well good for you. Apparently some people in California think guns are just for killing people. ;)

I have a 1980 CT70. Came with no emissions BS. Idk if that's before or after California became a nanny state or not, as I was born in 1987.

·
Registered
325 Posts
PS a lot of newer bikes have emissions shit like charcoal canisters, and a lot DO NOT. kinda a grab bag.

Either way just remove it and loop that vent hose...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
1993 CT70 had a carb the new Grom is EFI so I am HOPING it does not have a bunch of junk hanging off of it. If it does I my have to re-route it and hide it......in my garage. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1993 CT70 had a carb the new Grom is EFI so I am HOPING it does not have a bunch of junk hanging off of it......
Good point. But I have an '08 DL650 that is EFI and it has emissions junk, though its a bigger bike and the junk is hidden pretty well.

Yeah, I tore all that stuff off the '93 CT and still have it in a box, even though I sold the CT long ago.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Good point. But I have an '08 DL650 that is EFI and it has emissions junk, though its a bigger bike and the junk is hidden pretty well.

Yeah, I tore all that stuff off the '93 CT and still have it in a box, even though I sold the CT long ago.
Not what I wanted to hear. Oh well, whatever. I can work around it if I need to.

·
Registered
325 Posts
a LOT of Suzuki crap has it. as do some Honda dirtbikes. '08 Ruckus doesn't have it... '10 Elite 110 didn't have it.....

·
Registered
955 Posts
The msx 125 has a catalytic converter. I am willing to bet along with the fuel injection that will be sufficient to make it 50 state emission compliant with the grom.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope so too, my 2001 CA Yamaha TW200 had the annoying charcoal canister. Although the Grom isn't water cooled, I guess a catch can conversion would be easy enough, haha.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The msx 125 has a catalytic converter. I am willing to bet along with the fuel injection that will be sufficient to make it 50 state emission compliant with the grom.
That is usually not the case. Most modern cars are EFI and have cataclysmic diverters but not all are California legal. There is the tax money soaking nazi group CARB (California Air Recources Board) that want to feel good about regulating things to help the environment, even if the things they try to regulate have no effect on the environment at all. There is lots of consumer money in CA, so manufacturers like Honda spend the money to comply with CARB so they can do business here. If anyone with authority had the balls to investigate CARB (and pretty much the entire CA legislature) they would find criminal fraud and money laundering everywhere. But I digress.....

This is what makes me think there will be more than a cat converter on the California models:
specsCapture.JPG

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Can you even legally swap engines in scooters and bikes in California? I know with cars engine swapping over there is a mess.
No but there is no safety inspection or check for motorcycles............yet

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

1 - 20 of 50 Posts