Honda Grom banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd turn a student loose on the GROM and see what transpired. So far so Good (we'll work on his turning technique tomorrow)

The student reports that the bike is stupid easy to ride and that he doesn't feel at all challenged by the exercises. I'm not sure if that is a good thing?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling Asphalt Vehicle Recreation Bicycle accessory Road Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I hope it IS a good thing because I am stupid easy to ride and most folks are not challenged by me.

Reactions: banks619

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I would think a student should learn on the good ol' 250, 20 or 21" wheel bikes. They might get lulled in to overconfidence. I believe learning how to deal with the weight of a regular sized bike is almost as important as basic riding skills. Backing a Grom out of an unfortunate parking place is cake. Doing that with a bigger heavier bike can be dangerous to the rider and people/property nearby if the rider is not used to wrestling a full size bike around.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i almost crashed my r1 right when i jumped on it - after riding the grom around for a week, i was so used to the quick fast turning reaction/leverage i get from the handlebars,

i almost side swiped my truck because the r1 clip ons doesnt turn direction as fast as the grom handlebar does, plus i have a damper on the r1

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would think a student should learn on the good ol' 250, 20 or 21" wheel bikes. They might get lulled in to overconfidence. I believe learning how to deal with the weight of a regular sized bike is almost as important as basic riding skills. Backing a Grom out of an unfortunate parking place is cake. Doing that with a bigger heavier bike can be dangerous to the rider and people/property nearby if the rider is not used to wrestling a full size bike around.
To An extent I see this as valid. Turns out, dude bought a scooter. So the opposite could also be true. If I train him on a BN or TW the twitchy little scooter could pose a challenge.

The bikes we use aren't "normal" size intentionally. The Principle is to have the students focus on the techniques rather than be intimidated by a large bike. A vast majority of people get too much bike too quick and never really find actual confidence.

I witness this in the Intermediate and advanced courses all the time. People show up that "know how to ride" and and are absolutely horrible and waste 90% of the class screwing around trying to overcome really bad riding habits developed from being scared of the bike.

We'll see how this turns out. I'm schooling him on Precision because the Grom is easy but it doesn't suffer stupid very well. If you are ham fisted or do anything silly it'll let you know pretty quickly

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Every tool that a human uses have to deal first with safety than learn to handle the tool. It is the same principle that is used when riding a motorcycle. You would not ride a dirt motorcycle the same way you would ride a sport motorcycle. You just have to adapt your riding skills to the situation and the tools at hand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Dude passed with 1 (ONE!) penalty point for being .01 seconds too slow in the 135 degree turn. My average penalty points for 7,000 students and ten years is around 13.8 (I haven't factored in the last two quarters)

Kid was good followed directions and ended up being quite smooth. I think I'll use the Grom selectively and keep a close eye on which people are allowed to use it. My business pays me $180/class for each bike of mine it uses :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well, Dude passed with 1 (ONE!) penalty point for being .01 seconds too slow in the 135 degree turn. My average penalty points for 7,000 students and ten years is around 13.8 (I haven't factored in the last two quarters)

Kid was good followed directions and ended up being quite smooth. I think I'll use the Grom selectively and keep a close eye on which people are allowed to use it. My business pays me $180/class for each bike of mine it uses :)
Dude, you'll pay the Grom off in no time at that rate! Dooo eeet!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Nice pay off lol

When I took my class, the second day I rode the Grom to the class but not in the class because the instructor was super stoked about it and had him run a few demos on it.. Fun to see, also that 135 degree turn was my favorite, I was hesitant to really push it in fear of dragging the chassis/peg (didn't know how he'd react to me doing that) but still did a bit under state requirement in time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts