Honda Grom banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Im flashing my ecu since I got a pipe and intake. It shows with the flash it improves peak HP to about 11 compared to 8HP stock.
With a cam, it shows with the ecu flash it improves peak HP to 12.5 compared to 8HP stock. But, below 5,000 rpm’s you lose a decent amount of power, anything above 5,000 rpm’s it is no comparison, the cam hauls. I was gonna invest in the TBolt cam if I do this.
My question is, for normal traffic that has the occasional stop and go and normal turns (I live in Pennsylvania), has anyone tried both setups and have an opinion for each? Not sure if the lose at bottom end is worth it, but someone else might say different. Thanks!fedloan irs.gov easybib

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not as bad as what everyone says, you still have power on the bottom end. Just not quuuuite as much, but plenty for dealing with traffic. After riding my bike internally stock (no reflash either) for years, then doing the TB cam and DHM reflash, I really wondered why I didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
When buying Grom parts you are not investing into it, a grom is a money pit, with lots of fun if done correctly.

correct cam, correct full exhaust system will get HP. Want to increase it more do a head porting and inlet tube porting and polishing and port matching and you will see and feel the difference. A good modified air-box system and a good aftermarket ECU will also help

good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went with the Yosh ST-1M cam instead of the TB so that I could have low/mid increase. Stop light to stop light is all about the lower RPMs, and my Yosh RS2 is also setup of mid range power (loop instead of straight pipe). I also added the dinger bilt mid intake since it matches the mid of the RS2 and Yosh cam. The dinger short would match the TB.

If you don't match the parts correctly, you can spend lots of money with little gain. If you match them correctly, the Grom can be a blast.

Have fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's not as bad as what everyone says, you still have power on the bottom end. Just not quuuuite as much, but plenty for dealing with traffic. After riding my bike internally stock (no reflash either) for years, then doing the TB cam and DHM reflash, I really wondered why I didn't do it sooner.
Still greater than stock, or is it less?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Truthfully, If you are not racing above 5,000+ rpms every time you take off, you are not riding the Grom correctly in my opinion :p. You will notice it the first few rides, then it becomes the norm and will likely forget you even had that .5 hp down low. Unless you are going to stunt, the Cam/Exhaust/proper intake and a Flash or a Proper fuel controller like the Aracer is your best bang for your dollar. Be smart though, purchase mods you can use down the road that fit your goals. otherwise, like myself and many other you buy the same parts twice or even 3 times. If your goals are performance, get a Hindle Exhaust. If you have no care in the world about performance and just want sound, basically anything will work. Same goes for Intakes. if you are going for performance, do not waste your money on a intake for the stock TB. Hold off as You will want a 34mm throttle body and therefore a 34mm intake to match. Same goes for ECUs etc. Anything more then a cam/exhaust get a proper fuel controller.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I went with the Yosh ST-1M cam instead of the TB so that I could have low/mid increase. Stop light to stop light is all about the lower RPMs, and my Yosh RS2 is also setup of mid range power (loop instead of straight pipe). I also added the dinger bilt mid intake since it matches the mid of the RS2 and Yosh cam. The dinger short would match the TB.

If you don't match the parts correctly, you can spend lots of money with little gain. If you match them correctly, the Grom can be a blast.

Have fun.
I took a similar approach and went all in for low rpm pull with the goal of a bike that easily keeps up with traffic flow without needing to pin the throttle and wind out the engine. It's a different way to enjoy riding a bike. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Truthfully, If you are not racing above 5,000+ rpms every time you take off, you are not riding the Grom correctly in my opinion :p.
There is no correct way to ride a Grom... just what is correct for each rider. Each of us tailors their bike to fit their uses. :)

We live up in a canyon 10 miles outside town, so I use my Grom for efficient reliable daily utility transportation in my business to pick up materials and to make minor local service calls.

IMG_1320.JPG

It's also perfect for grocery shopping and running other errands in town so I don't need a high revving racer. Just something to putt around on that takes me from here to there. I don't mind spending $2k customizing my grom because it's a useful tool that makes me money. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is no correct way to ride a Grom... just what is correct for each rider. Each of us tailors their bike to fit their uses. :)

We live up in a canyon 10 miles outside town, so I use my Grom for efficient reliable daily utility transportation in my business to pick up materials and to make minor local service calls.

View attachment 84096

It's also perfect for grocery shopping and running other errands in town so I don't need a high revving racer. Just something to putt around on that takes me from here to there. I don't mind spending $2k customizing my grom because it's a useful tool that makes me money. :)
You clearly missed my Emoji joke face LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
efficace et fiable dans mon entreprise pour ramasser du matériel et faire des appels de services locaux mineurs. Il est également parfait pour faire l'épicerie et faire d'autres cours en ville, donc je n'ai pas besoin d'un coureur à haut régime

·
Registered
861 Posts
efficace et fiable dans mon entreprise pour ramasser du matériel et faire des appels de services locaux mineurs. Il est également parfait pour faire l'épicerie et faire d'autres cours en ville, donc je n'ai pas besoin d'un coureur à haut régime
Yes. That's what I said translated into French. ;)

... in response to the title of this thread:

Groms won't run without a cam. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
efficace et fiable dans mon entreprise pour ramasser du matériel et faire des appels de services locaux mineurs. Il est auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver également parfait pour faire l'épicerie et faire d'autres cours en ville, donc je n'ai pas besoin d'un coureur à haut régime
faire l'épicerie et faire d'autres cours en ville, donc je n'ai pas besoin d'un coureur à haut régime

·
Registered
40 Posts
I pretty much ride my Grom at WOT all the time and the am pretty much shifting at or close to redline all the time. For me the TB parts cam and CJR ECU flash was completely worth it. Power above 6k rpm is much improved and the overrev is really nice to have. If you want to be able to get off the line easier, change the gearing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be smart though, purchase mods you can use down the road that fit your goals. otherwise, like myself and many other you buy the same auto clicker parts twice or even 3 times. If your goals are performance, get a Hindle Exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts