Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I just hopped on my girlfriends Grom yesterday and first impression was how doggy it was. I'm used to riding my 450 Supermoto and my Honda 50 (both can pull up wheelies in any gear). I'm not a fan of how far you have to let the clutch out on the Grom but I can deal with it. I let plenty of air out of the back so it won't dog walk all over the place in a wheelie too. Now, 2nd gear sucks. I usually go about 19mph and hit rev limiter (maybe too much) and tank till I feel like my arms are gonna fall off and boom. 2nd gear wheelies. It's a nice bike to wheelie once it's up, but it likes to lean it seems like. I've only ride it a day now so I just need more time but being able to ride second gear wheelies for a mile seems to be doing pretty well lol. I'm always nervous on shifting from 1st to second though in a wheelie in fear of looping. I've done it on the 50 but the Supermoto is fine. But if I can pop it up in 2nd then I'm not too worried.
Whats some tricks? I know how to ride and have since I was 4 but shifting gears while in a wheelie on the Grom are kinda iffy. I did it a few times but one time just about got me (cover cover cover your rear brake at all times. It's the number one thing to know for you beginners)
so if anyone has any pointers they could toss my way go ahead. I'm all ears. Like I said I can shift through 4th gear on my Supermoto but the Grom is kinda iffy lol
Also, if anyone has any tips on exhaust let me know. My girlfriend wants her Grom to be louder but we don't have the cash for an exhaust set up right now so I was just gonna shorten it. Thanks guys ?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have no tips, but I can see why it's an issue for someone with plenty of wheelie experience. The Groms clutch is either engaged, or it's not, doesn't seem to be any real in between. On or Off.

A few people have shortened the stocker with good results. One local guy just cut the exhaust off. Just completely off. The header is still there, but the can is just cut off. Gone. Kaput. More raspy than an aftermarket exhaust, but it's not THAT bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah let me rephrase that. Not exactly a mile. I usually count in my head for about 30 seconds then set it down going about 30. The oil pickup from what I've read sucks and isn't the best for long wheelies. But hey, a 30 second wheelie is a good wheelie to most ����. I usually roll about 15-20mph then flick the clutch out. But damn, it takes some pulling ���� I woke up Today and could barely move my arms. Also the stock grips blow!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? I still want it to look decent and not sound like a push mower lol. So I may shorten the can. Idk. And yes, the clutch is goofy! On or off is absolutely correct. I accidentally pulled in the clutch while in a wheelie yesterday (thinking it was a rear handbrake) and about lost it BUT (Cover cover cover that rear brake) lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oil starvation shouldn't be a problem on a stock motor, but I've heard people with BBKs having issues. I've watched people ride wheelie's out in 1st and 2nd gear for pretty long distances on stock Groms.

If you want a cheap loud option... a few of my buddies just took the muffler off. Next cheapest would be a $100 exhaust off of eBay, or a Mad shorty exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil starvation shouldn't be a problem on a stock motor, but I've heard people with BBKs having issues. I've watched people ride wheelie's out in 1st and 2nd gear for pretty long distances on stock Groms.

If you want a cheap loud option... a few of my buddies just took the muffler off. Next cheapest would be a $100 exhaust off of eBay, or a Mad shorty exhaust.
yeah a hall I did was just cut the pipe and shorten it. Ground out the rivets, cut the pipe in half being careful not to cut through the smaller walls inside. Then just moved the end cap to the shorter muffler. Took about 5 inches off and sounds good. I've seen crazy long Grom wheelies with no issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts