Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yuminashi 164bbk. Has the high compression piston and valves. Ive been running it on the stock ecu and injector for awhile now (the ones it came with were no good) and it ran pretty good. Plenty of power etc. I know it was running lean because of the bbk so I just bought the pcx150 injector, PCV, and WB2. I installed all of that and now it wont hardly run at all. I know I installed it correctly. When I try to open the throttle past 50% or so it just sputters and tries to die until I let off the throttle. Ive tried changing the injector, changing spark plug, clearing dtc's, reseting the ecu/tps, and changing different maps.

I dont know what to do anymore, because I cant find any forum threads of people with the same issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have a bbk, but at one point I removed my EJK fuel controller and after I installed it it would sputter and stall exactly like yours is. I know sometimes you may need to reset the ECU more than once. I would try disconnecting and reconnecting all of your connections just to make sure they are all solid (mine were in all the correct places too when this happened) and then reset the ECU again. Before you put the plastics back on, take the bike for a spin, try to get at least into 2nd gear and see what happens. If it still sputters, I'd try resetting one more time. I think I had to do it 3 times "successfully" before the problem ceased. Make sure you cleared the codes first and that you get the successful blinking pattern after the reset. Not sure if this is completely relevant to the issue at hand, but I have heard more than once about having to reset the ECU multiple times...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said in the original post, I tried changing between every map DynoJet offers for the grom. It still does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Unhook the wb2 and see if it still acts up. Perhaps it's not grounded well or hooked up to wrong fuse? Always a possibility the o2 sensor is defective

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought someone else had a similar issue and it turned out to be a ground. As previously stated, check all your connections again (not just that they're connected, but also they're in the right place), especially the groundS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I unhooked the pcv/wb2, hooked the stock o2 sensor back up, put the stock injector back in, and did the dtc/ecu/tps reset and it still does the same thing. I'm noticing it starts to lose power and die at exactly %20 throttle now. I can't even ride it now. Could it be the tps is bad?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Figured out the issue! It was a simple fix. It made me mad and happy at the same time. Apparently my intake tube from the filter to the throttle body sucked itself closed. I guess that was not allowing enough air and messing with the IAT sensor.

I had taken the airbox off and put a cone filter on the end of the tube, then I cut a hole in the tube for the IAT sensor. I guess it was flimsy enough to suck itself closed.

I did it at the exact same time l installed the pcx150, pcv, and autotune, so I never thought to look there because it seemed like a throttle issue with it cutting out at exactly 20% throttle.

My grom was down 2 -1/2 months because of it. I also spent an extra $300 on a wb2 thinking my Autotune wasnt working. Didn't get to ride it at the Crawl either. But I'm glad it's fixed and maybe this will help someone else in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts