Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I believe it's short for Grommet, which (besides being hardware) is an old surfer term for a newbie.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If your spanish.... its still Grom.

It's a name. You wouldn't call an American Robert "Roberto" his name is Robert. Just as you wouldn't call a Spanish Alejandro "Alex" it's not his name.
I think he means more along the lines of the way they pronounce stuff. My name is Sean (Shawn), but my mommy in law who was born and raised in Puerto Rico calls me Chon. She just can't say it properly.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If your spanish.... its still Grom.

It's a name. You wouldn't call an American Robert "Roberto" his name is Robert. Just as you wouldn't call a Spanish Alejandro "Alex" it's not his name.
Mexican would be more correct than Spanish. He was just being PCish, maybe?

Source: Married into a Mexican family. I swear they mispronounce stuff on purpose.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Source: Married into a Mexican family. I swear they mispronounce stuff on purpose.
Right?!?! I finally gave up correcting them (my married into full blood Puerto Rican family). Now I do it in more of a passive aggressive manor. They always ask if I want a Tore-tea-ah with my meal. Sigh. So I always reply with yes, I'll have a Tore-till-ah. :D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Right?!?! I finally gave up correcting them (my married into full blood Puerto Rican family). Now I do it in more of a passive aggressive manor. They always ask if I want a Tore-tea-ah with my meal. Sigh. So I always reply with yes, I'll have a Tore-till-ah. :D
You're brave, especially with how...aggressive PR women can be.

My wife used to complain about her Grandfather:

"Mija, you need to chare."

"Mija, sit in the shair."

Grandpa, just switch them!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You're brave, especially with how...aggressive PR women can be.

My wife used to complain about her Grandfather:

"Mija, you need to chare."

"Mija, sit in the shair."

Grandpa, just switch them!
I'm literally cracking up at my desk right now, damn near tears. I'm totally stealing this. My mommy in law does the same thing with chair and share.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I think he means more along the lines of the way they pronounce stuff. My name is Sean (Shawn), but my mommy in law who was born and raised in Puerto Rico calls me Chon. She just can't say it properly.
This guy gets it. Just a joke coming from talking to people who speak Spanish as their primary language. More times than not they say Groom or Rookus or Rookoos

1 - 20 of 20 Posts