Honda Grom banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
It truly is a pain sourcing the right exhaust.

Not seeing a source for the Zoom exhaust.

Also, Over headers are too low for off-road use so Takegawa is looking like the only option.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
My Zoom is for sale , but postage could be the killer
The Zoom is very inexpensive here. Would cost almost as much to ship.

Does the 4 valve head have an oxygen sensor port like stock or necessary in the header?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Next up for mods is switching to Honda 10w-40 HP4 from Motul 300V 5w-30.

Looking at heavier weight due to the extra performance and temperatures to be had in the desert with the big bore.

Then it is time for new tires as well with some Run On tire sealant/balancer to cure the high speed heavy vibration that the newly attainable big bore speeds the bike is capable of. Plus some more tread for the rear tire.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
300V? will drink it like water , it´s an air cooled angine. Will stick with a 7100 or a 5100
I initially had consumption issues but that was from high rpm dyno sessions.

My riding which is mostly mild except heat build up from slow going off road has shown no issues.

It does seep through valve cover gaskets though so hopefully the HP4 will not do the same.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I ordered an adapter to try my Kitaco intake on the 34mm Takegawa throttle body. The filter on the Kitaco intake is tiny so that may need to be switched for something larger.

The logic I'm using is that the 34 mm bore is smaller than the inner diameter of the Kitaco and stock throttle body aftermarket intakes so there should not be any choking off of airflow.

For off-road riding I really want a good foam filter though instead of the K&N style with a dust cover over it.

When it is time for 4 valve heavy breathing I may be looking elsewhere for intake solutions.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
That 10w-40 feels much better in the bike than the Motul 300V 5w-30. Clutch grabbiness, shifting notchiness, and engine noise have all been reduced.

I'll be sticking with the HP4 at $8.99 a bottle.

@Ghostrider.1127 have you tried the Akrapovic or Termignoni exhausts?

Both have the O2 bung, clear the clutch cover, and the Termignonj at least has a larger diameter from flange all the way through.

Can't tell what diameter is with the Akrapovic.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Finally my 4 valve kit is en route. Thought the day would never come!

I'm also waiting on some other stock Honda internals to arrive and I still do not know what exhaust I'm going to run.

I've got some rides I plan on doing before the tear down as well but I can't wait to get to work on the build.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I'm sort of unimpressed with the Takegawa 4 valve head. Going to look for a local machine shop to see about opening up the exhaust port. Looks like the 4 valve kit doesn't port the exhaust side.

Also, stock O2 sensor has a threaded port. It isn't sealed up.

Intake looks good.

Need to finalize a few details and get some more parts before the build begins.

Plus I may have somebody work the exhaust port.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
something wrong with your head on the Ex side , may they forgot to port it ?
Do you have pictures of the same kit being different?

I can't find any information stating exhaust port is different from their standard head.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I'm going another direction for the exhaust system. Taking a gamble as usual since data is tough to find on many of the exhausts from Japan.

Was planning on a high pipe but I want to get rid of the heat shield touching the right leg, especially with rearsets on the way.

Most offerings lose out on clearance(Over Racing) or looks.

One that seems to marry clearance and good looks(no idea about performance) is the option from K-Factory in Japan. Looks like a rally inspired design and quality looks high.

Almost went Takegawa as they have clearance and we'll designed mounting. In the end this K-Factory looks better to me.

Now the wait...as usual.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
If anybody is looking for iridium plugs for the Takegawa 4 valve head, here they are. Surprised to see them available and cheap.

NGK CR8EHIX-9

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Looks like a month until the exhaust arrives.

Wonder if these K-Factory are handmade like the HotLap ones.

We are in prime riding weather so I want all parts here before I get busy working on building the engine.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts