·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I can't get a break on this build.

Takegawa 4V CNC ported kit:

Hard Racing sold out.

Webike said it is discontinued (their 5 axis ported head/manifold plus cylinder without throttle body/injection controller).

They do sell a complete kit but then you get all of the extra stuff which I don't need.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I've got a Kitaco Type 2 cam and the cam bolt/retainer plate on the way. The current setup will be tested after all.

Tired of waiting on everybody dicking around when you contact people or order and they are out of stock when they are supposed to be in stock.

Waiting on reply back from a couple places about the Takegawa 4V ported kit to put on when the cases are split post 2V dyno tuning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Also finally got the 4 Valve Super Head kit CNC ported on order.

It will be a few weeks until arrival though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I'm getting excited now. Friday everything should be here for the engine to be out back together. Today or tomorrow I'll pull the clutch side cover off and check the screen and sump as well as oil pump. Make sure everything is clean.

Friday night or Saturday, button it up with new parts and get back to business.

Judging by the spark plugs from the timing session they were already close to having a decent setup. Nice mocha colored insulator. I know that doesn't say much in the grand scheme but somewhere it was running well.

Now that I think about it, the Kitaco Type 2 cam will throw off the settings since max power is moved up a couple of thousand rpm I believe.

Just hope that the setup isn't power to the point that switching to 4 valve isn't as big of a leap.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

Kitaco Type 2 cam has arrived. From Japan, faster than I get stuff in the USA.

Have to check the mailbox for the cam retainer bolt/plate.

Time to pull covers and get flushing!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

I can't see a big difference visually between the two.

Next step is inspecting the head through the valve inspection covers to make sure there is no major damage inside.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Got the bike patched up after removing covers, dumping a lot of oil through the engine, and toweling and swabbing areas like the cam chain tunnel and the flywheel area.

No odd noises and the bike fires to life and idles strong.

I don't have a compression tester but I'm curious if I lost compression or this cam is so top end heavy that starting is easier? Not once has it had difficulty on startup the way it randomly did before.

Tuning is off too but it wasn't totally dialed on the Takegawa cam either.

It really winds out now though so that is helping me on the decision of what cam on the 4 valve: I think I'll stick to the 10/10D to maintain decent low end and not have to be screaming around at high rpm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Bike is back at DynoJet. Kitaco Type 2 cam here we come.

I rode it over to DynoJet from my house which with the route I took was about 25 miles.

Even without tuning on the new cam the ecu was dialing in nicely. The cam is much more top end heavy compared to the Takegawa N20 in the kit.

Without the open loop dialed in you can't tell what it will do up top though. By midrange, guessing 5k rpm with the new cam it starts to pull.

Then it is flat(lean feeling) to higher rpm.

Hopefully tomorrow we have some numbers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
An update on dyno sessions.

Got the bike back and I'm really disappointed in the numbers after the parts I'd installed.

AFR was set to 13:1. It runs great and pulls all the way through but I definitely chose wrong on the cam. Should have went Kitaco Type 1 instead of 2.

I lost my grunty tall gear pulling low end for top end scream.

Also, the exhaust I'm running is a major restriction.

Lastly, I went from 16/38 gearing on my last dyno to this latest session with 34mm throttle body, ported intake manifold/head, and larger valves and 16/34 gearing.

The bike runs fine. Winds out but since it lost torque it falls in 4th gear.

Dynojet said I can bring it back for exhaust testing next week if I'd like. I really want to ride some before I tear it down for the real build. See what happens with the ECU doing some learning and breaking in the cylinder more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So you're saying the Takegawa N20 cam is better down low then the Kitaco type 2?

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
So you're saying the Takegawa N20 cam is better down low then the Kitaco type 2?
Yes. It had a better low to mid-range and revving really high was useless.

It pulled the taller gearing easily and if in first gear at 10 mph just whack the throttle and it stood right up.

Now... It doesn't! No wheelies unless you clutch up and I've never done that with this bike and never will.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
I think those numbers are respectable, you probably don't have enough head flow to use a higher rpm cam like that with your engine displacement. Thanks for sharing your progress and good luck!

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I think those numbers are respectable, you probably don't have enough head flow to use a higher rpm cam like that with your engine displacement. Thanks for sharing your progress and good luck!
The exhaust is where I'm leaving hp on the table. Will do another exhaust when I go 4 valve. No reason to choke the engine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What exhaust next?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
What exhaust next?
I'm thinking of the Takegawa Tapered Cone because it is the setup that makes 26.6 hp with the rest of the engine kit I have coming in.

There is only one other muffler that I like the looks/design of but I can't find any information regarding construction of the muffler itself. I don't want another muffler that is choking the engine. It is my favorite as far as low mufflers and looks(looks fitting for a Dakar Rally bike). K-Factory

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why not just remove that perforated plate in the Hotlap exhaust and see how that goes?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Why not just remove that perforated plate in the Hotlap exhaust and see how that goes?
It is a sealed unit so maybe a long drill bit and get some bigger holes into it.

I'd rather leave it as is and let somebody else get enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
A video update of how it runs presently.

Cam is for power way up high which I don't like.

Still got a new flat-ish ground top speed: 75 mph. Fastest I've ever seen was 76 mph going down a steep and long downhill run. Could probably see 90+ on that same hill now!

101 - 120 of 120 Posts