Honda Grom banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Part of the capabilities of the products are affected by regulation.

Big fines have been imposed on manufacturers of parts that cause/tamper with emissions tuning of vehicles.

That is why you may not see certain functionality available.

I've never heard of Aracer until starting in on modding the Monkey. Since I want to keep a clean setup with flashing only, not a bunch of extra wires or piggyback options it was easy to choose DJ.

The nice thing is anybody who wants to run a similar setup will now be able to build there bike, get a PV3 and flash their ECU in minutes and then go ride. There won't be a learning curve or screwing with computer programs, riding and watching gauges. Just flash for the setup and go.
Interesting point about regulation. That may be a big reason they don't allow auto-tuning. But you can manually tune very rich which is still band for the environment and the PV3 doesn't stop you from doing that.

I never heard of aRacer before the Grom either.

Hopefully Dynojet uploads your tune. They haven't uploaded the ones they've created using my WBCX logs.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Interesting point about regulation. That may be a big reason they don't allow auto-tuning. But you can manually tune very rich which is still band for the environment and the PV3 doesn't stop you from doing that.

I never heard of aRacer before the Grom either.

Hopefully Dynojet uploads your tune. They haven't uploaded the ones they've created using my WBCX logs.
After talking with one of the guys he said they were heavily fined by EPA and CARB like Harley Davidson was for their Screamin Eagle pipes without catalytic converters and tuners that brought bikes out of emissions spec.

It is holiday season so it may take time for them to upload.

I believe they are off all this week.

Monday I get this latest setup done.

I'm seriously contemplating getting the 4V Takegawa kit with 5 axis porting and then they'd have that time for people to be able to easily upload to their bikes.

Takegawa claims 24 hp for that setup. Betting DynoJet could squeeze more from it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Magura Radial Brake Master Cylinder now installed. Going to the auto parts store to get some crimp on blade connectors for the brake light switch.

With Spiegler braided lines it is nice and tight. Will test out later after I swap the rear line.

Thanks to @MNNTHBX for offering these. Love the function and the look.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
More goodies have arrived. Not sure they will be going on my build or not. Just saw a good deal and jumped on it.

If they do go in then there is only one other thing to do and that is the Takegawa 4V Superhead 5 Axis ported top end.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Still waiting on dyno tuning the bike on Monday and going over everything to make sure the bike will be good to go.

I broke out the Japanese instructions for the Takegawa 34mm throttle body and noticed they said(had to use google translate) to adjust the butterfly set screw to just touching and then 1/4 turn more inward.

When I received the parts I'd just installed and thought it was good. Did all of the required resets and assumed everything was as should be.

Pulled the throttle pulley cover and it was adjusted in a lot. It was at least three threads showing on the throttle pulley contact side.

Readjusted, went through all of the resets again and will leave it be. Planning on going for a little ride here soon just to let the computer adjust and see if anything is different.

Also put the air screw back to 2 turns out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
On my bike i had to back off a bit from 1/4 , otherwise idling was surging

here 34 for grom instructions in english
I'm idling very low but setting the 1/4 turn out has helped it at least stay running compared to the higher setting it had on arrival.

I reset everything, TPS included once the adjustment was made. It is relearning fuel trims. I may back it out a little more and see what happens but really, without actual fuel values being adjusted I don't want to set it away from baseline spec for the tuning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
On my bike i had to back off a bit from 1/4 , otherwise idling was surging

here 34 for grom instructions in english
Do you remember what you ended up with for the throttle plate screw setting?

Wondering if I should close mine more.

It doesn't hold an idle at present.

The DynoJet crew will be looking into it. It is at the baseline 1/4 turn on butterfly and 2 turns air screw.

I believe they said it should be done by tomorrow.

Hoping for 18 to 20 hp.

If they get it that high then I may skip the 4 valve setup. Takegawa shows the ported 4 valve at around 22 hp with the 10D cam. I'd most likely forego the 15D cam with the loss of bottom and midrange for an hp or two way up high.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Son of a... Got a call from the dyno tech and they said they got a pop and a rattle.

Have to get the bike and trouble shoot what went wrong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Not looking good.

Just pulled covers from timing plugs, tappets, and cam. Noticed immediately wear on the cam cover where the cam chain was pushing on it.

Then lined up the crank to TDC and removed the cam sprocket and my fears were confirmed, the cam bearing holder came out.

There is wear on the bolt, the plate, and the cam cover and head.

Here is the odd thing to me, the rocker shafts would no go back in all of the way. Maybe an air pocket in the oil causing a cushion.

I torqued the cam retaining plate bolt when I reinstalled it. Not sure why it would have backed out.

Now, I could flush the system and replace the galled parts and finish the tune. I don't know how much material may have made it into the engine though.

I could just order the rest of the parts for the big build and crack the case replacing everything.

I've already got the crank, transmission, and intend on getting the 4V 5 axis top end.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this, wish you the best of luck! Do you think the bolt backing out caused the failure?

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Very sorry to hear about this, wish you the best of luck! Do you think the bolt backing out caused the failure?
I couldn't say. The bolt is chewed up and the retaining plate as well. The cam pushed out to where the sprocket/chain ground into the head at the cam cover area.

The fact that I was unable to move the rocker arms fully into their pocket seems weird to me. Don't know why they would have that resistance. Nothing was in there. Almost felt like water or air/oil forcing them out. Eventually I was able to push them back in.

Wish I knew what caused the backing out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I have to see what this head produces on the dyno so I'm going to flush the case, replace the retainer and bolt, make sure there is no metal to fall in the motor and get back to the dyno.

Going to take time to get other build parts anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
We aren't going to hear the numbers after all. Upon further survey of the damage yesterday the cam backing out caused some contact with the head on a lobe.

Here you can see the other damage which isn't bad. If I didn't need a new cam it would go back to the dyno but I'd rather just put the funds towards the new build.

I've already got the crank/rod and 5 speed ready to go.

Now it is down to which top end.

Hard Racing says Neo because it makes big power and is reliable/low maintenance.

I still want to see what the Takegawa can do but apparently it kills tensioners and chain guides.

Neo would be very cheap compared to Takegawa.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That’s no good. The build continues 👍

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Takegawa 4 valve 5 axis on the way.

Damn shame I couldn't see output on current setup but no more messing around!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Are there any items to upgrade with the Takegawa 4 valve cylinder and head?

I've currently got the PCX150 injector.

A few companies sell the larger injector fuel line so I think I'll order one up.

Takegawa forged crank/rod going in along with the 5 speed.

Already have Takegawa oil pump, slipper clutch, upgraded tensioner and button, throttle body.

Going to go locally made custom oil lines for oil cooler and the cylinder head bypass.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shitty end for the new head ....
Forza 300 injector , i have few , can take a pic for you.
Thinking to do my 2nd engine with the neo (have one brand new o_O never used ) to compare , but before have to finish few parts on my ATAS 1100 and on the H2

81 - 100 of 120 Posts