Honda Grom banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

Tomorrow I'll install the Speedo DRD and get it dialed so I'm not reading very low on the speedo.

These hubs are excellent quality. Definitely a fan of Chimera products. Also see the Chimera lower shock mount spools.

The ones I had from Zeed Parts were a 4 piece design of aluminum and plastic. Didn't like them and vibration loosened one apart do they were replaced with the Chimera stainless versions from Steady Garage.

Also saw their wide wheels which are very tempting but I'm already close to the chain with stock tires. Swapping to a day rear wheel would be all over the chain.

Also, they use 140/70-12 for the rears on the fat wheels. Stretched over the rim.

I think I'd do a 140 on a 4" rim.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Speedo DRD installed and I need to do a final test run but it is looking like 7% correction with 16/34 stock tires partially worn.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Got the JC Racing big valve head and port matched manifold along with Takegawa 34mm throttle body installed. Reset fuel trims and throttle position sensor and idle air screw back to 2 turns out.

Also did cam chain tensioner button upgrade, added the vent line to the cam cover, scrubbed some carbon off of the piston top, added a new spark plugs(NGK CR9EIX without any spacers because the Takegawa S-Stage doesn't contact), Koso ignition coil and I think that is it.

Fresh oil primed, she lit up but doesn't idle well(will let DynoJet dial in the injection). That was to be expected. Also using the included K&N style air filter so it has a lot more air coming into the engine now.

The piston after wiping some of the carbon off. I may do a sea foam to the intake manifold port to try and burn more of that out. Heavy carbon build up is from using the incorrect tunes to get the engine heat cycled.

The combustion chamber of the stock head:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Head looks nice , but i did not understand why not a complete neo kit than
This has been a 'one thing leading to another' build.

Originally I was just going to do basic mods and suspension.

Then decided on just a big bore kit. Then the ported head and bigger throttle body keeping stock crank and transmission.

Now I've got the Takegawa crank on the way and a 5 speed.

If I put those in then I'll add the 5 axis 4 valve kit and get it tuned.

So easy to work on and the changes yield bug fun in both the building and riding.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Understand , same here... i also started with "just a BBK" than bought a neo kit ,than the 4V engine....
bought 8 exhaust systems , different throttle body , pv3 and autotune , other ecus , brembo brakes , swingarms , rear shock , forks , wheels , brake discs ....
Most of the shit sit new in boxes o_O

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You're building a little beast!

Why is the TB body porting not round though?
Funny that you mention it.

It is close to round and everything matches up nicely.

The CNC head from Drow was very much out of round, one of the many issues I had with that head.

The JC Racing head is hand ported.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Understand , same here... i also started with "just a BBK" than bought a neo kit ,than the 4V engine....
bought 8 exhaust systems , different throttle body , pv3 and autotune , other ecus , brembo brakes , swingarms , rear shock , forks , wheels , brake discs ....
Most of the shit sit new in boxes o_O
What other forks are there to try?

I've been looking at other options without finding anything.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
DynoJet appointment is set for next week. Time to hurry up and wait. They said not to ride it since it will be very lean.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I couldn't resist and had to take the bike out for a few miles around the house.

Tuning is way off!

Can't really add much throttle without it falling flat/sputtering. With very light throttle it pulls away with authority though. Like I've added an even bigger displacement engine.

Was cruising 55 mph with maybe 1/3 throttle.

Going to be a big step up!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Odd. The TB looks like it has a bite out of it. Maybe it's the photo exaggerating the defects from hand porting.

It would be nice if the PV3 had autotune. Dynojet's lame excuse that Honda wouldn't allow that holds no weight when you see companies like aRacer doing it. With that being said, some of the aRacer autotune models also have limitations in that there's poor (low) resolution and/or you don't get to choose your AFR target. And Dynojet's WBCX kinda sorta allows you to autotune it from your PC using the logs from that wideband module.

I spoke to a couple of Grom tuners about switching from PV3 to aRacer and was told that the PV3 is very good at what it does and no need to switch. With that being said, if I get another Grom or a Monkey I will most likely try an aRacer setup.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I have a dyno too , but the way it works with the autotune and the closed loop issues are a no go for me .
My goal with the build is to have the cleanest setup possible. I don't want extra wires and gauges. The sleeper look.

I've yet to mount the PV3 unit to monitor live time other than plugging in on return to see oil temps.

Everything is working good so far.

Do you still have the CB1000R?

Not sure if you remember but it was on your advice that I installed the fuel management unit from Europe.

Ever have a proper ECU flash to get rid of the restrictions and achieve full power?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Running an ecu reflash and rapid bike evo.
View attachment 89070
How is it after the flash?

Able to have full power in gears 1-3 plus remove top speed limiter?

Mine was my favorite bike I've ridden. Too bad it was damaged in theft attempt. It was really needing derestriction meet full potential and fun though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Odd. The TB looks like it has a bite out of it. Maybe it's the photo exaggerating the defects from hand porting.

It would be nice if the PV3 had autotune. Dynojet's lame excuse that Honda wouldn't allow that holds no weight when you see companies like aRacer doing it. With that being said, some of the aRacer autotune models also have limitations in that there's poor (low) resolution and/or you don't get to choose your AFR target. And Dynojet's WBCX kinda sorta allows you to autotune it from your PC using the logs from that wideband module.

I spoke to a couple of Grom tuners about switching from PV3 to aRacer and was told that the PV3 is very good at what it does and no need to switch. With that being said, if I get another Grom or a Monkey I will most likely try an aRacer setup.
Part of the capabilities of the products are affected by regulation.

Big fines have been imposed on manufacturers of parts that cause/tamper with emissions tuning of vehicles.

That is why you may not see certain functionality available.

I've never heard of Aracer until starting in on modding the Monkey. Since I want to keep a clean setup with flashing only, not a bunch of extra wires or piggyback options it was easy to choose DJ.

The nice thing is anybody who wants to run a similar setup will now be able to build their bike, get a PV3 and flash their ECU in minutes and then go ride. There won't be a learning curve or screwing with computer programs, riding and watching gauges. Just flash for the setup and go.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts