Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Joined up here to research and possibly reply some regarding the Monkey.

My main forum home is over on ADVRider where I post up my rides with my bikes.

Building a Monkey that can go anywhere with relative ease.

So far I've added a Takegawa 181 2v kit with N-20 cam and other goodies to keep it cool and reliable.

In the process of adding Takegawa 34 mm throttle body and Drow CNC head. Waiting on throttle body and not happy with the CNC head that was sent to me.

Once those issues are ironed out it will be off to DynoJet, which is here in Vegas too, to get final mapping squared away.

I've already done a few 400 mile days, much of those days in the dirt, and don't hesitate to go where the big bikes go when it comes to off-road runs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have enjoyed watching your build on advrider, keep us updated.

Question for you, now that you are going a bigger throttle body and head, would it have not been best to have gone with the Kitaco neo kit?

With those last 2 additions with the 181cc on the stock crank are you not now lowering that reliability you want?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have enjoyed watching your build on advrider, keep us updated.

Question for you, now that you are going a bigger throttle body and head, would it have not been best to have gone with the Kitaco neo kit?

With those last 2 additions with the 181cc on the stock crank are you not now lowering that reliability you want?
Everything I've researched says stock crank is fine if you keep revs below 10k rpm.

As I've no plans for a 5 speed and no intentions of huge power or high revs I think it will be fine.

If the cases end up being split for a crank then serious consideration of a 4V kit would be made.

I didn't intend on going as far as it has. It has been a lot of fun to keep adding more stuff to it though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't intend on going as far as it has. It has been a lot of fun to keep adding more stuff to it though.
I know it’s fun to research for new additions to the bike.

Everything I've researched says stock crank is fine if you keep revs below 10k rpm.
That’s interesting, I’d think the extra torque you’re generating would be a factor also.

Looking fwd to seeing the results once your done 👍

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome build!

What’s wrong with the Drow head?

How do you like the hydraulic clutch?
Has a lot of dings and nicks and the exhaust port wasn't finished so there is a big lip on the edge of the exit and it isn't round since the cut wasn't done completely out of the head.

The gouge in the bottom of tappet cover mount won't hurt anything.

Little gouges in the cam port will not either.

The head gasket surface has small dings which I don't think will cause anything to leak.

I used to work for an engine builder when I was younger and this wouldn't fly. The package was wrapped well so this wasn't a beating in transit. It was a beat up head that was worked on and sold or beat up during machining.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,067 Posts
I would be extremely disappointed in that, are they working with you on it?

Reactions: 50-50 and Chillis

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be extremely disappointed in that, are they working with you on it?
They told me to run it.

I've messaged them back that I'd like a better example. Waiting on their reply. Hope they make it right.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Has a lot of dings and nicks and the exhaust port wasn't finished so there is a big lip on the edge of the exit and it isn't round since the cut wasn't done completely out of the head.

The gouge in the bottom of tappet cover mount won't hurt anything.

Little gouges in the cam port will not either.

The head gasket surface has small dings which I don't think will cause anything to leak.

I used to work for an engine builder when I was younger and this wouldn't fly. The package was wrapped well so this wasn't a beating in transit. It was a beat up head that was worked on and sold or beat up during machining.
Wow that's garbage work and completely inexcusable especially for the price they are charging. I can't believe they aren't scrambling to replace it ASAP. I'd be embarrassed if it was my company that sold that head. If you don't have a tracking number for a replacement in a week or so I'd highly suggest reaching out to PayPal or your credit card and getting a refund if they aren't going to stand good for it.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that's garbage work and completely inexcusable especially for the price they are charging. I can't believe they aren't scrambling to replace it ASAP. I'd be embarrassed if it was my company that sold that head. If you don't have a tracking number for a replacement in a week or so I'd highly suggest reaching out to PayPal or your credit card and getting a refund if they aren't going to stand good for it.

Thanks for sharing.
Just called them back to see what they can do.

Hope they take care of it. Offered to drive down from Vegas to show them and get a replacement.

MNNTHBX on the other hand, after their sending me 2 incorrect parts answered my email on the weekend and are sending out the correct parts with a return shipping label included in the box.

I get it that things happen but at least they are taking care of the issue and I'm just losing time on the build.

DynoJet has been waiting on the bike to develope tunes for a month now. Part my fault because I've continued to build the bike up to something I don't want to modify more later and then the issue with getting parts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DynoJet said bring my bike in with the stock head and throttle body. Tomorrow I'll drop it off for them to have that tuning level of Takegawa 181 S-Stage which has the N-20 cam and 11:1 compression ratio. HotLap Japan Trail exhaust without quiet insert, Kitaco intake, and PCX150 injector.

Anybody else that wants to do a similar setup and not wanting to mess with tuning themselves can get a Power Vision from DynoJet and flash a map in a couple minutes and be ready to rip.

Once the new head and throttle body arrive I'll put that on and get that dyno tuned as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade the suspension so it doesn't button out. Love the idea of taking the Monkey out into the wilderness great choice for mods. Also look into an oil cooler for the 181cc if you haven't yet. It makes the engine a little more reliable since it's Air Cooled.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Don't forget to upgrade the suspension so it doesn't button out. Love the idea of taking the Monkey out into the wilderness great choice for mods. Also look into an oil cooler for the 181cc if you haven't yet. It makes the engine a little more reliable since it's Air Cooled.
Already done front and rear suspension.

Zoom in on the pics in post one and you'll see some of the goodies in the outside.

Power Vision ECU flasher
Kitaco 5 row cooler
Takegawa Super Oil Pump
Takegawa clutch cover
Takegawa oil thermostat
Takegawa Slipper clutch
Barnett clutch kit
Chimera clutch lifter plate
Takegawa HD cam chain tensioner
Takegawa crank support bracket/bearing
Drow heatsink valve and cam covers
Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch(radial)
Magura radial brake master cylinder
YSS fork internals
YSS piggyback reservoir shocks(rebound, length, preload adjustable)
MRU chain
Lightweight steel sprockets
Plus some other goodies that are not performance related.

Waiting on CJ Racing ported big valve head and Takegawa 34mm throttle body with matched ported manifold to head.

·
Registered
994 Posts
DynoJet said bring my bike in with the stock head and throttle body. Tomorrow I'll drop it off for them to have that tuning level of Takegawa 181 S-Stage which has the N-20 cam and 11:1 compression ratio. HotLap Japan Trail exhaust without quiet insert, Kitaco intake, and PCX150 injector.

Anybody else that wants to do a similar setup and not wanting to mess with tuning themselves can get a Power Vision from DynoJet and flash a map in a couple minutes and be ready to rip.

Once the new head and throttle body arrive I'll put that on and get that dyno tuned as well.
Very cool. I wish I lived close to DynoJet. They don’t have dyno runs on my setup so I got a slightly modified, canned tune. I then talked to Cameron Jones for a better tune.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took my bike to Dynojet today. They said with stock head and throttle body it will probably make around 13 hp to the wheel.

I've got a head being done by JC Racing out of Louisiana. Sending him my Takegawa 34mm intake manifold tomorrow because it tapers to a 21mm hole! No wonder the Takegawa 2v kits don't put out big numbers with their throttle body kit! Their dyno graph shows around 14hp.

Dynojet said that with the ported head, larger valves, everything matched and big throttle body I should see 18 to 20 hp to the wheel. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

A couple of the guys there, including the one doing my tune, have Groms.

One last thought here is that looking at the intake manifold for these bikes it is a massive bottleneck for flow. No wonder Grom Fatherz does that more vertical intake manifold to straighten out the air column flowing into the head.

The stock setup is like a pinched garden hose!

·
Registered
994 Posts
18 to 20 horsepower to the wheel? That's tough to believe, but at the same time I don't know what realistic power numbers are for that setup. That much power would be a blast! Good luck!

I think Takegawa likes making reliable horsepower rather than pushing the maximum power envelope.

Dinger Built makes a sweet intake for the Grom in stock and big bore carbs. Not sure they fit the Monkey.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
18 to 20 horsepower to the wheel? That's tough to believe, but at the same time I don't know what realistic power numbers are for that setup. That much power would be a blast! Good luck!

I think Takegawa likes making reliable horsepower rather than pushing the maximum power envelope.

Dinger Built makes a sweet intake for the Grom in stock and big bore carbs. Not sure they fit the Monkey.
I spoke to Dinger Built about his intakes. The large bore can be fit if you add those tank risers and it still is a tight fit.

I'm still trying to figure out which direction to take that will give flow/power, looks and fits well, and isn't super loud.

My ears are ringing like crazy after my 400 mile day ride with the Mtake as the only performance mod to the bike.

Thinking radiator hose/muffler piping to a big foam filter.

The Takegawa throttle body comes with a small K&N style filter you fit directly to the throttle body. That isn't going to fly for me. Sound waves aimed right up at your right ear. No thanks!

If anybody has any ideas for a clean setup that is quiet and flows and doesn't require lifting the tank or hitting the oil cooler or fuel tank, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your build is similar to eastcoastish, he might be good to message for info

Reactions: Chillis
1 - 20 of 108 Posts