Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2018 grom and all im doing is a air intake and exhaust nothing else. I hear alot of people saying it will run lean(makes sense). Some say its fine ,some say its not and requires tuning etc.... what does everyone recommend?? Ive search and search but cant seem to fine a direct answer... THANKS!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
It will run at the same AFR as stock, the injection system can cope with the small change just fine.
People saying otherwise have not monitored AFRs on a stock / stockish Grom.

If you want to spend $$$ you can add a fuel tuner. You'll get worse mileage, no performance gain and maybe a few degrees cooler oil, maybe.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I ran a pipe and chimera for a while as others have... runs a bit lean but the ECU will compinsate enough that it won't burn down.Throw some gearing in also and it will run strong. Remove as much Xtra shit too helps.... charcole canister ect,

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to spend $$$ you can add a fuel tuner. You'll get worse mileage, no performance gain and maybe a few degrees cooler oil, maybe.
This. When I bought my dobeck ejk, my 2018 was at the same stage yours is: 14t + chimera intake with a zoom loop exhaust. MPGs went down slightly, it actually helped my top end, but overall it didn't feel like it was worth the $$$.

Unless you plan to mod the crap out of your engine, you really don't need a full blown pcv or aracer setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Brian,

If it was me I would invest in a 30 dollar EIFE and be done with it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Tuners are only as good as the map you load. If you've added a quality tuner, and didn't gain solid performance, you don't have a good map for your bike. Fact.
Mnnthbx Half these guys that shit falls on def ears... Proper fuel management is Key No matter what any of these Grommers say. Shit even if all someone did was put fuel management and auto-tuner no other mods could tune the shit out of it to see gains... FACT! lol

·
Registered
865 Posts
Brian,

If it was me I would invest in a 30 dollar EIFE and be done with it.
This is the best advice I can imagine for the OP's situation.

Getting into the "real tuners" is extremely expensive, and comes with a very steep learning curve. Just getting a piggy-back ECU module, along with WB / O2 sensor and maybe a A/F gauge can easily total up to -- like -- 25% of the initial cost of the motorcycle. Then there are the maps to be downloaded, and yet still auto-tuning (never understood why the map was so critical if the user was asking the system to auto-tune in the first place.....but I digress). Suffice to say that this sort of "tuning" is almost an entirely separate hobby unto itself. Do it IF you really want to pursue the ultimate in performance out of your Grom, can accept the costs, and enjoy software tinkering.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Suffice to say that this sort of "tuning" is almost an entirely separate hobby unto itself. Do it IF you really want to pursue the ultimate in performance out of your Grom, can accept the costs, and enjoy software tinkering.
Well put Paul... with that said it is not impossible to get past that learning curve and does not happen overnight, but once you get the hang of it understand where? & why? (Technician) its Awesome...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tuners are only as good as the map you load. If you've added a quality tuner, and didn't gain solid performance, you don't have a good map for your bike. Fact.
Ok, I agree, with a quality tuner and a good map you'll see gains but I think we have a different perception of ''gain solid performance'' on an intake / exhaust set-up.
And besides eventual performance gains wouldn't you agree that running an intake / exhaust on stock EFI is still safe technically speaking?

Mnnthbx Half these guys that shit falls on def ears... Proper fuel management is Key No matter what any of these Grommers say. Shit even if all someone did was put fuel management and auto-tuner no other mods could tune the shit out of it to see gains... FACT! lol
No one in this thread said that proper fuel management is not important, I agree it is crucial on a heavily modded machine. It's just as important on a stock Grom and thankfully Honda did a descent job on the Grom. The EFI system works pretty well, is cheap, simple, reliable and easy to diagnose.
Brian was basically asking if he can run his Grom with minor mods without a controller of some sort or not. Answer is yes yes. DOUBLE FACT! lol

·
Registered
903 Posts
No one in this thread said that proper fuel management is not important, I agree it is crucial on a heavily modded machine. It's just as important on a stock Grom and thankfully Honda did a descent job on the Grom. The EFI system works pretty well, is cheap, simple, reliable and easy to diagnose.
Brian was basically asking if he can run his Grom with minor mods without a controller of some sort or not. Answer is yes yes. DOUBLE FACT! lol
David you are right no one in this thread has said or disagreed about proper fuel management, probly no where on this forum as well...

I was only imposing my opinion, due to the fact there are several here that have not been successful at the attempt of Understanding or Using said devices.

So back to OP my bad for not giving any useful insight, But I do agree with David on simple and ease of use for your CURRENT choice of mods, but like everyone else that will change... :cool2:

"Answer is yes yes. DOUBLE FACT!" this is what I was talking about... thanks for having a sense of humor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy s***!! Thank you everybody! I got no notifications and logged on today and saw y'alls responses. That's what I figured but would rather the peace at mind knowing it would be okay ,if anything I will probably do that $30 EFEI. But yeah just a exhaust and air box mod is all I'm doing not going crazy cam ,Big Bore, ect....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts