Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the first gen clutch cable is longer than the second gen? The first gen seemed to have taller bars and the clutch cable is a different part number. I just put pro taper klx110 bars on my 2018 and the cable gets a little tight when full lock turn to right. It's not pulling the inner cable though. Just wondering if there is a longer cable available.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Due to the taller bars with the OG version, it would be a good guess that the cable is longer, especially since they have different part numbers. I do not think anything changed on the lever end or the sidecase end.

Hey, those cables are cheap. Order one up & be the guinea pig!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I ran into the same issue. I ordered a 2018 cable to use as a reference for building my own. Had I bothered to look at the part numbers for gen 1 vs gen 2 I would've ordered both to see what the size difference was. The cables are cheap but the shipping kills ya. I ended up routing the clutch line on my 2018 to where there is plenty of slack but I don't like it. I pulled the clutch line from its hanger under the frame and ran it through the hanger that the throttle lines are run through on the side of the frame. Doing that you will have plenty of clutch length but it bugs the piss out of me. I hate doing things improper and it just feels improper.

I'm placing an order for a gen 1 cable now. If you want to wait I'll report back the differences if any. I'm betting it is longer because its a $1.11 more for the gen 1 cable. How much longer is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have klx110 bars on both my groms, one is a 2015 and the other is a 2018, I had to reroute the clutch cable on the 2018 slightly to get some more slack. On the 2015 I didn't really have to reroute it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys....I'll wait and see what you find out Phoenix. Sounds like it is longer reading Zppeacocks reply. I feel the same Phoenix about rerouting. I hate doing things like that as it just never seems correct although many have done it. I did find someone who used a CRF230F cable but he stated it was maybe just a bit to long but it did fit and work correctly. Please let me know your findings.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Thanks guys....I'll wait and see what you find out Phoenix. Sounds like it is longer reading Zppeacocks reply. I feel the same Phoenix about rerouting. I hate doing things like that as it just never seems correct although many have done it. I did find someone who used a CRF230F cable but he stated it was maybe just a bit to long but it did fit and work correctly. Please let me know your findings.
You got it. Should be a week and a half or so. The place I ordered them from has slow processing time for some odd reason. Stay tuned :encouragement:

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Ok guys. Both the 1st gen and 2nd gen clutch cables came in just now. I measured them up and the 1st gen clutch cable is 1-1/4" longer than the 2nd gen clutch cable. The beauty of it is if you just need a slightly longer clutch cable on a 2nd gen the 1st gen clutch cable is only $7.79 plus shipping. Hope this information helps someone out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phoenix, can the cable be changed without removing side plastics? I know there is at least one cable holder underneath but was not sure there were more or if it can be snaked through from the bottom. I ordered a 2015 cable last night and I should have it by Saturday.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I feel your pain OGR. That body work is a PITA to take off!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Phoenix, can the cable be changed without removing side plastics? I know there is at least one cable holder underneath but was not sure there were more or if it can be snaked through from the bottom. I ordered a 2015 cable last night and I should have it by Saturday.
If it can be done (and that’s a big if) I think it would be a royal pain in the ass. A bigger pain than just removing the panels and headlight in the first place. Its not so much the issue of the cable hanger but the panels leave very little room to work with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it can be done (and that’s a big if) I think it would be a royal pain in the ass. A bigger pain than just removing the panels and headlight in the first place. Its not so much the issue of the cable hanger but the panels leave very little room to work with.
Gotcha, thanks Phoenix. Often , what appears to be the easy way out is actually worse than the unabridged edition.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You wouldn't say that about the Grom if you owned any of the newer supersport bikes.
Johnny, that is probably true. Although the newest super bikes have so much horsepower, I would have no need to take the bodywork off! :serious:

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
You wouldn't say that about the Grom if you owned any of the newer supersport bikes.
Hell even my Africa twin is a pain in the ass, I could only imagine the new supersports.
Gotcha, thanks Phoenix. Often , what appears to be the easy way out is actually worse than the unabridged edition.
No problem man. Good luck and let me know how it works out for ya.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Johnny, that is probably true. Although the newest super bikes have so much horsepower, I would have no need to take the bodywork off! :serious:
You'd definitely just be buying stuff JUST because its shiny and pretty....NOT because of the performance. I totally get it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed the 2015 clutch cable over the weekend. The extra length makes all the difference with the KLX110 bars, perfect length and still some slack when bars turned to full lock (Right) Had to remove left side plastic. Pretty much impossible to get routing correct without doing that. A inexpensive solution at $15.00 shipped. Thanks again for your input Phoenix!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I installed the 2015 clutch cable over the weekend. The extra length makes all the difference with the KLX110 bars, perfect length and still some slack when bars turned to full lock (Right) Had to remove left side plastic. Pretty much impossible to get routing correct without doing that. A inexpensive solution at $15.00 shipped. Thanks again for your input Phoenix!
Awesome man. Glad it helped you out. I still haven't installed mine since I had a lot of riding planned this past weekend and couldn't afford any downtime.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts