Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Maciej, I live in UK and I'm a proud owner of a Grom since two weeks. I would like to share my experiences here and possibly get some help on the matters I have no idea about!
First a little bit about my background, I never rode a bike before in my life! Nope, not even once! 3 Weeks ago at work I've decided I'm sick of working where I work but I was limited to the bus as my daily commute. The only way I could change my job was either getting a car or a bike. I only hold a provisional licence so the choice was kinda obvious! In a matter of one night shift, I got off it, went done my CBT (compulsory basic training) and after some research I've decided to go for a Grom. Done CBT on Friday, on Tuesday I've already picked up my bike.

Now the important bit, my Grom is a 2016 version in a lime green colour! It was an absolute bargain, 100 miles on the clock, only used as a presentation piece. Pretty much in a mint condition, just a minor scratch on the side. No biggie. It also came with a 13 month Honda Warranty! I was well chuffed about going to pick it up, it was a one-way train trip to Wales (I live in Birmingham) and had to go back on the bike about 100 miles! Now thankfully the weather was good, I could only travel on express roads (not allowed on motorway) but still, it was my second time on a bike and I did that trip with my pants full. Very stressful, satnav didn't work properly, trip that was supposed to be 3 hours, ended up being as 5 hours! When I look at it right now, it was a valuable experience. I would have to be back at work the next day, that trip would get me to grips with the bike. Or not... Due to my lack of experience, I still have problems with the bike. These problems are caused by my lack of experience I am sure.

I use the bike to commute to my new, great job, it's about a 20 mile trip each way. Now I would like to ask few questions:

1) Because I'm a total newbie, I know how to adjust the clutch, I just don't know where the biting point should be. Right now it's pretty far right to the end, doesn't give me a lot of control and whenever I face an uphill start - I pray not to stall. Should the biting point be closer to the start?
2) When I stall, I fully press the clutch down, switch to neutral (after few tries), start the engine, shift into 1st gear and slowly release the clutch. Now here I keep releasing the clutch, until I reach the end and I have not moved... When I press the clutch again, I can AGAIN shift into first gear even though the screen doesn't show I'm in first gear... I am supposed to be in it already. What is happening here?
3) I've noticed some talks on the forum about the rpm on the clock when your bike is in idle. Mine is around 1200-1500 but I've noticed some people move the bolt so the bike stays in 2000rpm. What is the appropriate rpm that should be on the clock?
4) I haven't properly looked at the terms of my warranty but I suppose any modding at all is out of the question? The things I would like to do first would be - change the tires (these stock ones feel deadly), add a luggage rack with a box, replace the seat for more comfortable one, change the grips, break and clutch replacement, mirrors replacement (which feel useless...), change the exhaust (not loud enough :D), those little "bars" you place on your wheel bolts to protect the bike during drop. Anyone who was in the same situation knows what mods/replacements are allowed?
5) I've noticed some people on youtube reaching speed of 80mph on their 125cc Groms! How is this possible? In good condition, with wind pushing me, behind a car, downhill most I did was 68mph! I weigh 84kg, my backpack at the time was about 2kg. My biking gear about 6kg.
6) The best way to stop your helmet visor from steaming up?

At last I would like to say that the bike is an absolute joy in nice weather (not fun in rain at all), I'm a new rider, I still stress a little when I face a journey but I start feeling a lot more confident on it. I never dropped it, probably never will, I'm a quite sturdy, strong bloke, only situation I see myself dropping it is when some idiot spills diesel on the road :/. The community of bikers is awesome, on my 100 mile journey home, when I was all stressed, these nods from other riders made me feel safer and more confident. Thank you again!

EDIT: Here is a photo of the beauty!

18718487_1719996258018481_1393982982_n.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone!

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Maciej, I live in UK and I'm a proud owner of a Grom since two weeks. I would like to share my experiences here and possibly get some help on the matters I have no idea about!
First a little bit about my background, I never rode a bike before in my life! Nope, not even once! 3 Weeks ago at work I've decided I'm sick of working where I work but I was limited to the bus as my daily commute. The only way I could change my job was either getting a car or a bike. I only hold a provisional licence so the choice was kinda obvious! In a matter of one night shift, I got off it, went done my CBT (compulsory basic training) and after some research I've decided to go for a Grom. Done CBT on Friday, on Tuesday I've already picked up my bike.

Now the important bit, my Grom is a 2016 version in a lime green colour! It was an absolute bargain, 100 miles on the clock, only used as a presentation piece. Pretty much in a mint condition, just a minor scratch on the side. No biggie. It also came with a 13 month Honda Warranty! I was well chuffed about going to pick it up, it was a one-way train trip to Wales (I live in Birmingham) and had to go back on the bike about 100 miles! Now thankfully the weather was good, I could only travel on express roads (not allowed on motorway) but still, it was my second time on a bike and I did that trip with my pants full. Very stressful, satnav didn't work properly, trip that was supposed to be 3 hours, ended up being as 5 hours! When I look at it right now, it was a valuable experience. I would have to be back at work the next day, that trip would get me to grips with the bike. Or not... Due to my lack of experience, I still have problems with the bike. These problems are caused by my lack of experience I am sure.

I use the bike to commute to my new, great job, it's about a 20 mile trip each way. Now I would like to ask few questions:

1) Because I'm a total newbie, I know how to adjust the clutch, I just don't know where the biting point should be. Right now it's pretty far right to the end, doesn't give me a lot of control and whenever I face an uphill start - I pray not to stall. Should the biting point be closer to the start?
2) When I stall, I fully press the clutch down, switch to neutral (after few tries), start the engine, shift into 1st gear and slowly release the clutch. Now here I keep releasing the clutch, until I reach the end and I have not moved... When I press the clutch again, I can AGAIN shift into first gear even though the screen doesn't show I'm in first gear... I am supposed to be in it already. What is happening here?
3) I've noticed some talks on the forum about the rpm on the clock when your bike is in idle. Mine is around 1200-1500 but I've noticed some people move the bolt so the bike stays in 2000rpm. What is the appropriate rpm that should be on the clock?
4) I haven't properly looked at the terms of my warranty but I suppose any modding at all is out of the question? The things I would like to do first would be - change the tires (these stock ones feel deadly), add a luggage rack with a box, replace the seat for more comfortable one, change the grips, break and clutch replacement, mirrors replacement (which feel useless...), change the exhaust (not loud enough :D), those little "bars" you place on your wheel bolts to protect the bike during drop. Anyone who was in the same situation knows what mods/replacements are allowed?
5) I've noticed some people on youtube reaching speed of 80mph on their 125cc Groms! How is this possible? In good condition, with wind pushing me, behind a car, downhill most I did was 68mph! I weigh 84kg, my backpack at the time was about 2kg. My biking gear about 6kg.
6) The best way to stop your helmet visor from steaming up?

At last I would like to say that the bike is an absolute joy in nice weather (not fun in rain at all), I'm a new rider, I still stress a little when I face a journey but I start feeling a lot more confident on it. I never dropped it, probably never will, I'm a quite sturdy, strong bloke, only situation I see myself dropping it is when some idiot spills diesel on the road :/. The community of bikers is awesome, on my 100 mile journey home, when I was all stressed, these nods from other riders made me feel safer and more confident. Thank you again!

EDIT: Here is a photo of the beauty!

View attachment 58729
I'm in the US.. I bought my Grom about 2 months ago. A 2017 model brand new. I haven't had any issues at all. Just continue to ride and you'll get familiar with all the controls. The Grom is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
1200-1500 rpm for idle is right, doing the mods is fine as long as you don't mod the engine, you can always put back the stocks part if worse comes to worst. I don't think there is a gear indicator on the Grom. I hated where the clutch grabbed from the factory, I adjusted it to where I like it to grab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It indicates if it's in neutral position or not, that's what I meant :p Where is your biting point? Closer to the full press or full release?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts