Honda Grom banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's a fast conclusion...you have a lot to take into consideration. Rider weight, how long at wot, how long of a day with the oil at temperature, flat ground or uphill battles, and there's more. A lot of groms I have ridden with have also consumed close to the same amount of oil as me when we go on long rides
I have been working on and dealing with engines enough to look at what you report, and think there is a problem. If my engine where doing what yours was, I would be getting similar results and dirty oil... I do not have to do climbs, and every type of riding imaginable in Evey temperature on earth to know when an engine is burning more oil than it should, and to know when the oil is getting prematurely dirty.

I know you do not want to face it, but I think you have a problem with your engine. Not a huge problem, but an annoying one that will cause you to add and change oil more often.

Mike

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
mine used a 1/4 quart during break in, but after that first few hundred miles, was ok. after bbk break in, again, used a bit but after 150-200 miles consumption stopped.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's a fast conclusion...you have a lot to take into consideration. Rider weight, how long at wot, how long of a day with the oil at temperature, flat ground or uphill battles, and there's more.
If what you posted above where a requirement to determine if your motorcycle were burning to much oil, and getting the oil prematurely dirty: Then NO MOTORCYCLE in the southern USA would EVER be diagnosed as an oil burner, or having excess blow-by the rings....

I wonder how anyone in the southern , or central USA could ever diagnose these problems since we do not have hills.

Wow, I feel bad for any larger displacement motorcycle guy that has been using oil, when someone tells him he can not know anything, unless he he has run wide open throttle for hours, and does full throttle hill climbs...

Your entire premise is FLAWED. It seems to me you do NOT WANT the answer, since you put so many ridiculous requirements before you accept the obvious truth.

Mike

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a bit over 5000 miles.
doesnt burn enough to notice and I run about 80% wot.
I run WOT most of the time also... Lots of highway riding, I do not like riding int he city. One thing a LOT of people do not understand, is that the engine will reach its operating temperature within 5 or 10 minutes of WOT and stay there. It does not matter if you are riding 15 minutes or 10 hours at wide open throttle, it just is not going to get any hotter.

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I run WOT most of the time also... Lots of highway riding, I do not like riding int he city. One thing a LOT of people do not understand, is that the engine will reach its operating temperature within 5 or 10 minutes of WOT and stay there. It does not matter if you are riding 15 minutes or 10 hours at wide open throttle, it just is not going to get any hotter.

Mike
That's not true based on several groms I've ridden on for long periods. Temps rise and lower based on the additional load on the engine...climbing the cherohala skyway in the Smoky Mountains is would be an example of Temps rising the whole time above this "wot temperature" you speak of. They also rise tremendously when you draft a vehicle after the "wot temperature" is reached.

There's no need to get all temperamental on here. You're on here saying how most people don't get this stuff and this and that. You're the same guy who said to over inflate your tires for has mileage and top speed increases

·
Registered
865 Posts
This is an old thread, I realize, and I am simply bumping it forward as opposed to starting a new thread.

I am at little over 1000 miles on my 2017 Grom — done several oil changes during the break-in process. The last oil change, however, was at 600 miles, so there has been about 400 miles since that last oil change, during which the bike has seen hard, hot running with plenty of WOT. Although the little window on the Kitaco clutch cover seemed to show enough oil (near as I could tell), I DID lose some oil. I added a full liter at last oil change, and I recovered slightly less than 800 mls of oil during this oil change. By my math, that means I might be burning off about 50 mls of oil per 100 miles driven.

I really am not sure if that is a lot of oil loss, or if that is typical of this engine under these operating conditions. In some ways, I guess it really doesn’t matter much, as the exhaust emissions are clear - with no smell of oil — and the plug looks pretty good (no visible indication of fouling), and I have no intention of digging deeper into this issue unless the bike starts to run abnormally. I am just sharing information with others — I currently seem to be burning about 50 mls oil per 100 miles.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Addendum to my previous post: I do replace the oil filter cartridge with each oil change. While I cannot imagine the oil loss from discarding the oil filter to be very significant (10-20 mls, maybe?), I should also note that point.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts