Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here after browsing for a few months. I'm thinking of getting a grom this summer, probably a 2018 model. This will be my first bike, I just want something to have some fun on when i have work off and maybe take to work for the good mileage (i would just be doing city riding so speed is not a concern for me). When i was looking at the options, they recently added an abs model, and I know what abs is in cars and I've done some research on what exactly it does for motorcycles too. I was just wondering if paying the extra money and adding more weight is worth having abs on only a 150cc bike? I know that it can maximize the braking distance and prevent front wheel lock up but would you guys consider it above dangerous to ride without it? If I was buying a 600 or even a 300 i would absolutely want abs on it, I'm just kind of on the fence about abs on a 150. I've seen a couple of threads on the forums here about abs but I just wanted to see some fresh ideas/opinions in 2020.
Thank you guys so much! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently purchased a 2020 Monkey and definitely did not want ABS, strictly from a cost and simplicity factor of a non ABS bike. You may wish to see what other riders have to say about the pros and cons of ABS on the Grom, besides my two lame reasons not to have it on my Monkey. If it makes you feel safer while riding, disregard what I said and consider ABS for your Grom.

Above all: Congratulations on your future purchase and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased a 2020 Monkey and definitely did not want ABS, strictly from a cost and simplicity factor of a non ABS bike. You may wish to see what other riders have to say about the pros and cons of ABS on the Grom, besides my two lame reasons not to have it on my Monkey. If it makes you feel safer while riding, disregard what I said and consider ABS for your Grom.

Above all: Congratulations on your future purchase and welcome to the forum!
Thanks a lot for your response and the warm welcome! Most replies are obviously just going to be people's own opinion/stories of abs since its not required to have abs in the US, but im interested to see if more or less people recommend/have abs on their own personal groms.
:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2019 grom with abs where you live, I don't know, but here the grandmothers who walk on pedals and blind case intersect that gives me pleasure and thanks to the abs do not take me one ahead

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2019 grom with abs where you live, I don't know, but here the grandmothers who walk on pedals and blind case intersect that gives me pleasure and thanks to the abs do not take me one ahead
I live in Oregon and we usually get a lot of rain in the winter but i wouldnt plan on riding it in the rain w or wout abs

·
Registered
112 Posts
Locking up the brakes at 50 to 70 mph is no fun. There are very few reasons not to have ABS on a motorcycle. The cost difference is negligible, and you can always pull the ABS fuse if you decide that you want it off. I wish it had it on the rear as well (I would use a switch to kill the fuse when I want to lock it up at each stoplight ;) ). Now traction control is probably not necessary with such low power (but some do put this on Groms).

-S1930

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Locking up the brakes at 50 to 70 mph is no fun. There are very few reasons not to have ABS on a motorcycle. The cost difference is negligible, and you can always pull the ABS fuse if you decide that you want it off. I wish it had it on the rear as well (I would use a switch to kill the fuse when I want to lock it up at each stoplight ;) ). Now traction control is probably not necessary with such low power (but some do put this on Groms).

-S1930
Okay, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
:cool:I have a 2020 Grom and got it with out , I also have a 18 Ktm 690 Duke and that came stock with it and it kicks in on any sandy or dirty roads ,I don't like it on bikes or cars, But I have been ridding for over 30 yrs, take the safety course to learn how to ride and test some friends bikes, I don't know how close you are but , like I said my Grom does't have it and you can test it out after comparing another one that has it,I'm in Syracuse NY, Hope that helps ya...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:cool:I have a 2020 Grom and got it with out , I also have a 18 Ktm 690 Duke and that came stock with it and it kicks in on any sandy or dirty roads ,I don't like it on bikes or cars, But I have been ridding for over 30 yrs, take the safety course to learn how to ride and test some friends bikes, I don't know how close you are but , like I said my Grom does't have it and you can test it out after comparing another one that has it,I'm in Syracuse NY, Hope that helps ya...
Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't ridden a Grom with ABS, but I would be pretty interested in trying it. My 2017 does not have ABS; In my experience, there is not a substantial transfer of weight to the front tire during progressive braking (mostly because the bike has a low center of gravity and is very light in general), which means that there will be a limited amount of traction available, even with proper braking technique. Combine this with the mediocre performance of the stock tires, and you will find that it is easier than most motorcycles to lock up the Grom's front wheel, which can lead to an incident. Even riding conservatively at neighborhood speeds, it is possible to lock both wheels on this bike, having front ABS would partially mitigate these issues, would shorten emergency stopping distance for the majority of riders (even the "I have 30 years..." crowd), and could make the difference in laying down your bike vs keeping it upright.

If you go without ABS, you could take a portion of what you save to fit Michelin Power Pure tires front and rear for more traction, then spend the rest on a class to practice skillful braking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i only wanted the ABS as its my first bike and wanted the extra layer of safety as a new rider. If it was my second or third "fun" bike i wouldnt have gotten it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had (maybe "have") enough crashes (1 per year mediumly) to appreciate ABS on motorcycles...

different story if you need to race or while doing prickeries and you need to lock wheels ?‍♂

I think (but I don'r really knows it) you can Just put some tape to ABS sensors to get rid of "service"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Honestly its all about control. I learned to drive and had cars with out ABS, Even in emergency situations when you slam on your brakes you can feel the car skid and slightly let off the brakes to stop skidding. Same thing with any vehicle. Since riding my grom with out ABS, i have learned how much brake I can apply before skidding or locking up the front. Spent time in parking lots in first gear learning what my bike can do.:) Some people dont have that feel for the vehicles and have to have have it and it ABS does help. Insurance might be cheaper if it has abs vs not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
These conversations are always the same on all motorcycle forums and have been for many years. Unless you want to lock up your wheels intentionally, there are zero reasons not to have ABS on a motorcycle (unless you can't afford it, I guess). Racers not only have ABS, but they also have tunable cornering ABS. Stunters can use fuse kill switches to decide when they want it (typically only for the rear wheel).

The decision to purchase a bike with ABS has nothing to do with rider skill or duration in the seat. There are a ton of professional and amateur tests that show the stopping advantage of ABS over "expert" abilities without ABS. There may be a few exceptions to this rule with really crappy ABS systems, but you would be hard-pressed to find one. Do you need ABS every time you stop quickly? No. But when you do need ABS, you will wish you had it.

Please note, avoiding ABS does not make you more of a "man" or "woman" than the next. :rolleyes:

Motorcyclists have been asking for ABS technology for decades, and now that we have it, you can decide if you want it or not. It would be nice if "experienced riders with great feel" would stop encouraging or making comments suggesting that riders (especially new riders) don't need to bother with ABS. I can give several reasons as to why ABS on bikes is helpful (sand/debris, dirty corners, tar strips, redlight runners, animals, late braking, tire issues, distraction..). Still, I don't consider "I'm good enough not to need ABS" to be a valid reason.

I doubt my post will change the minds of those who fall into the "I'm so skilled that I don't need it" camp, but hopefully, new riders will think twice before dismissing the Grom's $200 ABS option.

-S1930

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only positive thing about removing the abs that, under my experience, I tell you is that it is not that by not having abs you can put cheap Chinese or Thai design wheels because they have 4 bolts and the abs has 5 bolts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts