Honda Grom banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

So I have a 2018 Grom w/ ABS (it was the only one left as I rather not have ABS). I just changed sprockets from the factory 15/34 to a 14/36 set up and I love it. The only issue is now after riding for 10 minutes or so the ABS light comes on and continuously flashes at me. I have yet to find any cause or fix online - I called our Honda dealer and they really weren't aware of any known fixes yet either unless I take the bike in so they can run a diagnostic. I'm assuming it may be a speed sensor due to the gearing change which effects RPM's etc.?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Try resetting the ECU

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
does the ABS grom have a ring sensor on the rear disk like it does in the front? If not, its likely using the speed sensor on the motor and due to gear change it now sees a continual difference in speed between front and rear and is throwing a code. That would kinda suck.

Edit - from what i can tell in pictures there is no sensor ring on the rear of the abs grom... hence it uses speed sensor and why you are having this issue.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’m running different gearing on an ABS model without issue FWIW

·
Read Only
106 Posts
does the ABS grom have a ring sensor on the rear disk like it does in the front? If not, its likely using the speed sensor on the motor and due to gear change it now sees a continual difference in speed between front and rear and is throwing a code. That would kinda suck.

Edit - from what i can tell in pictures there is no sensor ring on the rear of the abs grom... hence it uses speed sensor and why you are having this issue.
The gearing won't make a bit of difference. The wheels still have to turn at the same speed - or someone will be up for a new tyre real quick.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The gearing won't make a bit of difference. The wheels still have to turn at the same speed - or someone will be up for a new tyre real quick.
correct, but if the abs control unit is looking at rear wheel speed on the motor side (where a stock grom gets a speed reading for the speedo) then yes a gearing change will effect how the abs unit sees rear tire speed.

Can someone confirm or deny if there is an abs ring on the rear disk?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
correct, but if the abs control unit is looking at rear wheel speed on the motor side (where a stock grom gets a speed reading for the speedo) then yes a gearing change will effect how the abs unit sees rear tire speed.

Can someone confirm or deny if there is an abs ring on the rear disk?
fiche shows it on the front (12): https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5989f03487a86612c4ea8043/front-wheel
doesnt show anything on the back: https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5989f03487a86612c4ea804c/rear-wheel

it would be absurd** to include one on the back when the only difference that should be reported between the output shaft speed and the rear wheel speed would be when someones got their chain really loose, and is going off/on the throttle.

**on a cheap bike like the grom**

Clear the code, and see if it appears again.
If it does, clear it and go back to the stock sprocket. See if the light comes on again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm having this same problem after the same gearing change. Does anyone know if indeed it's the now uncalibrated speed vs front wheel rotations that's causing this? If this is the problem I can throw a speedo healer on it but otherwise I really don't care if the speedo is off.

·
Registered
2018 Grom
15 Posts
I'm having this same problem after the same gearing change. Does anyone know if indeed it's the now uncalibrated speed vs front wheel rotations that's causing this? If this is the problem I can throw a speedo healer on it but otherwise I really don't care if the speedo is off.
It is 100% the gearing change that is making the light flash. Depending on gearing, it has to see a pretty large difference to actually set the light off. Mine was 14t/41t. I had the same issue and going back to the stock sprockets fixed it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is 100% the gearing change that is making the light flash. Depending on gearing, it has to see a pretty large difference to actually set the light off. Mine was 14t/41t. I had the same issue and going back to the stock sprockets fixed it.
12 o’clock labs speedo healer resolved the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts