Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dang, i left the key in my grom overnight, so this morning it wouldnt start.

i tried to get my battery minder 1500, to charge the battery all day while at work. but when i just got home, it still isnt working. with a turn of the key, the speedometer doesnt turn on.

i have one of those portable jump starters, and when i put it to the terminals, my grom lights up. so the grom is fine.

i dont have a meter to test voltage on the battery to see what does it read now.

i have checked the three fuses next to the battery and those are good.

is it possible the 3 week old battery is dead?

help...

·
Registered
677 Posts
bump start it, or jump it and ride around for about 45 min. its not technically good on the charging system, but it should charge the battery and kinda verify if the little tender/charger is doing its job

·
Registered
311 Posts
Those battery minders/tenders are a ~0.5A trickle maintainer and not a true charger.

Need a 10A charge to full followed by a 2A to top off.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
dang, i left the key in my grom overnight, so this morning it wouldnt start.

i tried to get my battery minder 1500, to charge the battery all day while at work. but when i just got home, it still isnt working. with a turn of the key, the speedometer doesnt turn on.

i have one of those portable jump starters, and when i put it to the terminals, my grom lights up. so the grom is fine.

i dont have a meter to test voltage on the battery to see what does it read now.

i have checked the three fuses next to the battery and those are good.

is it possible the 3 week old battery is dead?

help...
I know your a noob so I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you.:laughing11: I have done that more times than I care to remember.

BTW, if you ever buy a boat, make sure to put the drain plug in before you launch. Never mind how I know that....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no problem.. i left the keys in my zuma more than i want to admit!!! in two months i think 4-5 times!!!

when parking my grom in my hot garage, i just want to strip of all my gear and get in AC. i love the angle of where i have my gopro, but it blocks my view of ignition. i lost my train of thought for a second and left them in there.

after, today i have to move the mount!

my assumption was correct was partially correct. the battery was so low, the battery tender wouldnt start charging the battery.

After bump starting it, i went for a ride for 45 mins. once i got home, i reconnected the tender, and finally the lights on the tender indicated it was charging my battery.

the two takeaways i learned today, is take the keys out of ignition and bump starting a manual motorcycle!

i will post a quicky video later of me running around my parking lot trying to get it started.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know your a noob so I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you.:laughing11: I have done that more times than I care to remember.

BTW, if you ever buy a boat, make sure to put the drain plug in before you launch. Never mind how I know that....
Was about 30 seconds from sinking my cousins boat about a month ago. We're were already fishing when we figured out there was no plug. Actually it was in the wrong hole. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

there are plugs on a boat??? i dont think i will have that problem bc i hate boats, i get motion sickness from them. hadnt been on a boat in like 13 years!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Actually, I always leave my keys in the ignition of my bikes at home cause I have too many keys to locate otherwise, but you just have to make sure the key is in the off position. I don't turn the bike off with the kill switch and the manual says not to turn it off that way in the case of the Grom probably because it is too easy to flip that switch again accidently. Maybe you turned the bike off, then turned it back on. Far as I know, that's the only two possibilities. No wait. If you lowered the kickstand which would shut off the engine, but didn't turn the ignition off, the bike would discharge too. Some people turn the bike off that way too, but it is not recommended. Glad you could jump start it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have it on authority that as Honda kill switches age, their not exactly known for their reliability.

Better to just turn it off with the key in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still confused how you turn the bike off without turning the key off.. You aren't one of those kill switch off, key off and key on, kill switch on guys?
yes, i am. but that was a learned behaviour from my msf course teacher. since i read here that using the switch is for emergency only. i will stop using the swtich.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Never had a problem with using the kill switch. Besides what's the difference between a street bike kill switch and a dirtbike which only has a kill switch. Nothing.
Also please look at the top of your battery to see the recommended charging amps. Do not overcharge the battery. Trickle charging is best especially when bring a battery back from "dead"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since this is a forum of opinion, I will offer mine. I have used the kill switch to turn off every bike I have ever owned in my 26 years of riding street (including Honda's) and have never worn out a switch.

The reason they teach using the kill switch in the MSF class is repetition and muscle memory. If your throttle locks wide open, you can simply kill the engine with your thumb without having to move your hand from the bar. In an emergency or panic, the last thing you want while a shot of adrenalin is pumping through your body is to reach for your keys.

I may be wrong and put Honda too high on a pedestal, but most vehicle manufactures worth anything these days qualify their switches for hundreds of thousands of cycles before choosing them.

I am not saying they can't/don't wear or fail, I just don't believe you should avoid using it for fear it is a widespread problem and is fragile and will fail if you do.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Never had a problem with using the kill switch. Besides what's the difference between a street bike kill switch and a dirtbike which only has a kill switch. Nothing.
Also please look at the top of your battery to see the recommended charging amps. Do not overcharge the battery. Trickle charging is best especially when bring a battery back from "dead"
i will check what it says on the battery. i bought a battery minder 1500 from nortnern tools and i know it charges batteries at 1.5amps unlike the battery tender jr. the latter charges at .75 amps.

i just thought of something!

We have a MSF instructor on this board!

Nefarious D,

do u teach your students to use the kill switch to turn off their mototcycles? or do you teach them to turn it off at the key?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Haha I was just poking fun.. I know lkwan is a newer rider and that's how they teach it in the course and that's completely fine, Ive always used the key because it was more simple and lessened the chance of leaving the ignition on or worse, leaving the key in the ignition in public

·
Registered
33 Posts
Iam suprised you could bump start an EFI engine, as the efi needs power to work. I would just have hooked it up to my car battery.

@Battery charging, Do not use a car battery charger for a motorcycle battery, you will damage the battery with a charging load of 10 amps. (Lead batterys ought to be charged with max. 1/10th of the nominal capacity.)

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Since this is a forum of opinion, I will offer mine. I have used the kill switch to turn off every bike I have ever owned in my 26 years of riding street (including Honda's) and have never worn out a switch.

The reason they teach using the kill switch in the MSF class is repetition and muscle memory. If your throttle locks wide open, you can simply kill the engine with your thumb without having to move your hand from the bar. In an emergency or panic, the last thing you want while a shot of adrenalin is pumping through your body is to reach for your keys.

I may be wrong and put Honda too high on a pedestal, but most vehicle manufactures worth anything these days qualify their switches for hundreds of thousands of cycles before choosing them.

I am not saying they can't/don't wear or fail, I just don't believe you should avoid using it for fear it is a widespread problem and is fragile and will fail if you do.

We had this conversation on a different thread too. Even the Grom owners manual says to not use the kill switch. Use the key to turn off the engine normally. The kill switch is for an emergency, like if your oil light comes on while riding, your throttle sticks, the bike is on its side and running, etc.

Once, when I picked up a different new bike at a dealer, I was told that repeated use of the kill switch eventually degrades the contacts and can make the switch unreliable if you need it in an emergency. I have seen switches go bad, yes even Honda switches, so that made sense.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had this conversation on a different thread too. Even the Grom owners manual says to not use the kill switch. Use the key to turn off the engine normally. The kill switch is for an emergency, like if your oil light comes on while riding, your throttle sticks, the bike is on its side and running, etc.

Once, when I picked up a different new bike at a dealer, I was told that repeated use of the kill switch eventually degrades the contacts and can make the switch unreliable if you need it in an emergency. I have seen switches go bad, yes even Honda switches, so that made sense.
Something to think about..... There is a switch at the kickstand that is cycled every time you raise and lower your kickstand. These are on every production street bike sold in America and likely the world. Whether you use it to kill the engine or not, it is being cycled. Sometimes they do wear out, but rarely and when they do, people just bypass them.

I read the Grom Owners Manual and I see where you are getting the "Should normally remain in the run position - in an emergency switch to off to stop the engine" but the manual does not say "Do not use" either.

The MSF teaches T-CLOCS http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCS_Inspection_Checklist_2012.pdf And part of your daily inspection is to function check all switches, even the Engine Cutoff Switch. How can someone inspect this switch during their daily routine without stopping the engine via the engine stop switch before using the key to turn off the main power to the electrical system?

I can assure you that if there were faulty engine stop switches in even a fairly small percentage of motorcycles, there would be recalls to replace them.

I'll continue using the engine stop switch every time with no worries.

Ride Safe!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts