Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After what happened to arunto, i started looking a security devices for my grom much more seriously.

1) Disc Lock
2) Chain Lock with >14mm Links
3) Alarms ie Scorpio's Ride

I know, i know... I sound like a commerical for xena but after taking measurments i picked up a xena xx6 because it was only $58 shipped. That will be my first line of defense against maggots.

I'm now looking for my second line of defense. The Ride isn't available now, and costs $360 plus $11/month! It sounds promising, but I want to be protected since last thursday, and not in a few months...

With a little bit of digging, I found the Garmin GTU 10. it is available now on amazon for $160 (if patient i can get it through ebay cheaper) The reviews are pretty good. And I really like $5 a month!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GTU-GPS-Tracking-Unit/dp/B004HFRA7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Does anyone have first hand exp with this tracking device?

I have it in my cart and ready to "push the dang button!" Pop quiz movie buffs... What movie is that from? ( hint i said it with a chinese accent.)​

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wish it attached to the bike instead of looking like a mobile unit, but the price is really good. I shopped around a bit for GPS for the bike. I don't like the prices or they dont' seem reliable enough... Maybe I just need to find the right one.

Phantom Tracking seemed good but more than I want to spend, around $500. GPS Motorcycle Tracking - Motorcycle Alarm System - Motorcycle Security System - I think with police support. I like that it will call if it thinks you got in an accident.

Kryptonite has GPS system around $350. Kryptonite Realtime Gps System 720018001256 : Amazon.com : Automotive

And I've seen this RMT system for a good price. But to be honest I don't understand how it works from their website. Vehicle Recovery | Anti Theft Device | Anti Theft System

The cheaper systems seem to require you go find the vehicle yourself... I am thinking my security might be Gorilla alarm - park where I can see bike. Front disc lock. Rear wheel chain (if possible) to something. It seems hard to be able to tie to heavy fixed object all the time though.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish it attached to the bike instead of looking like a mobile unit, but the price is really good. I shopped around a bit for GPS for the bike. I don't like the prices or they dont' seem reliable enough... Maybe I just need to find the right one.

Phantom Tracking seemed good but more than I want to spend, around $500. GPS Motorcycle Tracking - Motorcycle Alarm System - Motorcycle Security System - I think with police support. I like that it will call if it thinks you got in an accident.

Kryptonite has GPS system around $350. Kryptonite Realtime Gps System 720018001256 : Amazon.com : Automotive

And I've seen this RMT system for a good price. But to be honest I don't understand how it works from their website. Vehicle Recovery | Anti Theft Device | Anti Theft System

The cheaper systems seem to require you go find the vehicle yourself... I am thinking my security might be Gorilla alarm - park where I can see bike. Front disc lock. Rear wheel chain (if possible) to something. It seems hard to be able to tie to heavy fixed object all the time though.

thanks hairpin, i will look at those when i get home...

how much were they monthly? some of these compaines are charging $5-$30 a month!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
thanks hairpin, i will look at those when i get home...

how much were they monthly? some of these compaines are charging $5-$30 a month!!!
I think the phantom is $15 month. But to me 500 is a lot to pay for the price of my grom. At least garmin is a trusted company. And like i said on the last one, I couldn't even figure out how it worked. I might give up on GPS... Given that for me to know its working right I feel like I have to pay a lot. I wish there were easy answers to bike security!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I would love lojack but $700 plus install.

Even the new ride scorpio is high... $200 to get started and $11 a month... But it isn't available now!

WAIT, just thought about something...

A iphone would cost me $35 a month to add to my ATT bill, but a ipad would only be $10!

We could buy a ipad mini and just leave it in the grom 24/7 and track it that way!!!

since the next gen iPad mini will be coming soon, they will be flooding CL very soon!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Do you have a link for "The Ride" unit? Actually thinking it over the Garmin unit might be a good fit - says it is small - looks small. I'd want to more permanently attach it. But the price is great. And there are apps for your phone. I'm just worried with GPS, I'm stuck there trying to track it by myself - with no muscle to back me up to get my moto back. I'd worry by the time police are involved that the unit would be ripped out.

I'm paranoid. But maybe if you hide it in the tail section or somewhere hard to access...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do you have a link for "The Ride" unit? Actually thinking it over the Garmin unit might be a good fit - says it is small - looks small. I'd want to more permanently attach it. But the price is great. And there are apps for your phone. I'm just worried with GPS, I'm stuck there trying to track it by myself - with no muscle to back me up to get my moto back. I'd worry by the time police are involved that the unit would be ripped out.

I'm paranoid. But maybe if you hide it in the tail section or somewhere hard to access...

Scorpio | Motorcycle Alarms

i just called them and they said will be shipping in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not to sound flippant but.... I have insurance. By this time next year the dealers will have Groms on the floors. If mine gets stolen I will use the insurance money to buy a new one.
Agreed. Won't carry a chain thing either, those can get pretty heavy/annoying to deal with. I'll go about my business not losing sleep at night or not enjoying myself while out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I purchased a guard dawg tracker for $365 shipped it includes a year free of tracking and alerts. Looks promising Google it

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thetileapp.com is becoming more and more appealing the more i search for gps trackers. affordable and no monthly fees!

4th Q. cant come fast enough! but i will bet their is a delay in its release!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok. So I might pick up Scorpio Ride system because although in the advert they make it sound like an awesome lifestyle type mod - connect with your phone/facebook/etc., they say they actually will contact the police if you put the system in emergency mode. Ride FAQS | Scorpio

WHAT HAPPENS IF MY MOTORCYCLE IS STOLEN?

With current and historical reporting capabilities, RIDE will report where your motorcycle is and where it has been. In the case of theft, activating emergency mode will generate a PIN number that you can give to the police. The police can then log in with that PIN and immediately locate the stolen vehicle.
I am not going to gather my friends as muscle in time to go out and help me track down my bike. By the time that happens someone has probably removed the GPS unit.

Oh but wait - it says I have to give a PIN to the police - is that even easy? I had to report an assault once and I have to say it took forever. Police are busy already.
Dammit, I thought I had it figured out already but I don't. :p

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think if you are really worried about your bike being stolen then the ride seems like the best deal because of the option to alert the police. If you want to take the law into your own hands then go with the tile. It is small, easily hidden, and only $18 I think.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think if you are really worried about your bike being stolen then the ride seems like the best deal because of the option to alert the police. If you want to take the law into your own hands then go with the tile. It is small, easily hidden, and only $18 I think.
Yeah, you are right banks. I'm over-thinking this. For $200, I think it's worth it just to let people know where you are with the SMS service.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts