Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to ride ‘big bikes’, couple of Hornet 600’s and a Moto Guzzi 750 but hadn’t ridden for a few years so got my new MSX (UK) little while ago and I’m loving it 😉

The only thing I wasn’t totally happy with were the tyres, Vee Rubbers. I can’t quite put my finger on how I felt about them but they just didn’t feel quite right to me

First service just came up so I got them to put some Power Pure sc’s on as people seem to like them

Picked up bike today and the first thing I noticed was the ride seemed softer somehow, kind of ‘plusher’ if that makes sense, second thing I noticed is that it didn’t seem to pick up, and track, every tram line in the road as the Vees did

Just wondered if anyone else noticed that when using P/Pures ?

The bike certainly feels different to me and in a good way, can’t comment yet on grip but I suspect that’s also improved

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
P/Pures are a major upgrade over the stock vees. Yet, power pures are still scooter tires and not really a performance tire if handling quality is your primary goal. They are a fine commuting tire.

If you want really good tires that offer sport bike handling and grip, try these:

What kind of life span can be expected with these tires?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The mitas? Not sure, but I would expect really poor longevity since they trade durability for grip. I would guess 1.5k rear 2K front for mediums. They are a performance tire, so if you enjoy spirited twisty riding, they do the job.

Will let you know, running my first set now.

I would not ride them on wet roads despite being DOT.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Lol, I have drooled over those tires on several occasions, However, I would quickly go broke with the mileage I ride. I think they are better suited for track day outings. I guess where I live is not very curvy, I can take every curve around here at 70+ mph on my current pilot pures and the stock IRC tires except for 2. They are in an industrial park with a 25mph limit, short radius and complete 90 degree turns, back to back. I take them at about 45 due to the limited sight distance. I'm sure the Grom can go around them faster than I can..... lol

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
380 Posts
Lol, I have drooled over those tires on several occasions, However, I would quickly go broke with the mileage I ride. I think they are better suited for track day outings. I guess where I live is not very curvy, I can take every curve around here at 70+ mph on my current pilot pures and the stock IRC tires except for 2. They are in an industrial park with a 25mph limit, short radius and complete 90 degree turns, back to back. I take them at about 45 due to the limited sight distance. I'm sure the Grom can go around them faster than I can..... lol
Sounds like you and your bike need a vacation in the mountains!

Your Grom be like: What? Curves? You’ve been holding out on me!

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
617 Posts
Taking a trip to near FDR state park in GA on Saturday. Just outside Columbus.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have instlled new mitas touring force. they are different to sport force those are single compound. i Will say something about It before next change
payed them much more than Pirelli diablo scooter..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mitas Mini / Scooter MC35 2.0 S-Racer Racing tire MEDIUM front 100/90-12, MEDIUM Rear 120/80-12 SET

On the street this AM. Would not feel great pushing Power Pures in this setting. Stock tires never...

View attachment 87525
So the front tire is quite a bit more narrow and the rear tire is a little more narrow too? What is that like? Any idea why they are sized that way?

I’m curious to try some new tires. I guess I’m not terribly worried about longevity, since I don't put in the kind of miles Ninelives17 does. Since I ride really twisty roads, a high performance tire would make sense. Not sure how I would like the narrower tires though.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Registered
617 Posts
The narrow tires make the bike steer quicker, makes it more nimble or flickable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think it is coming down to the Mitas MC35, Dunlop TT93 or the Michelin Power Pure. I’ve read that the TT93 is heavy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Anybody running the Mitas but no track, only street? How many miles till they die?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Anybody running the Mitas but no track, only street? How many miles till they die?
After reading a bunch of threads, it sounds like people are getting more miles than you might think.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Any idea how the Pirelli Diablo Rosso and Michelin Power Pure compare? Which one corners better?

I’m also interested in the Kenda KD1 Kwick tires. Any opinions? It would be for street use.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think I may give a set of those Kenda KD1 Kwick tires a go. They are cheap, but get rave reviews. I need something sticky. I don’t care about longevity, but they do seem to last pretty well. I’ve been getting lower and lower in the turns. I want something confidence inspiring.

I was hanging way off the side of the bike yesterday. Every time, I’m wondering when my tires are going to let go. I don’t think the Power Pure is high enough performance for how I like to ride. It is super curvy where I live.

The KD1s are lighter weight than a set of Dunlop TT93s from what I’ve read.

I think the Mitas MC35 would be my next choice. They would cost more, I’m sure.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
868 Posts
racing's mitas are too much soft for commuting purposes and they cost double of any other premium street legal sporty tire (Pirelli Diablo over all)

even Diablo flattens in a bat of an eye..

flattened tires let bike run like crap

·
Registered
617 Posts
racing's mitas are too much soft for commuting purposes and they cost double of any other premium street legal sporty tire (Pirelli Diablo over all)

even Diablo flattens in a bat of an eye..

flattened tires let bike run like crap
Mitas are available in soft, medium, hard, and street compounds. I am curious to know who has run which compound and how many miles they have gotten out of them. Tires are the most important performance upgrade, I run Bridgestone Potenza RE71R tires on my Subaru. They are DOT approved race tires, but I get enough life out of them to justify the price for the performance they provide. I do not run slicks because of the short life/rain intolerance, I would be willing to accept a similiar compromise on the Grom.

·
Registered
868 Posts
aha i tried and almost bitten (like when you bite Gold to check if its genuine) racing mitas on few piaggio vespas at local track... theyre damn soft...

but in the end It depends on outer temp... diablos are too soft for july august with 30° air temp... they melted badly every time. i rode Better with Pirelli evo in those months

p.s. i tried normal old diablos and Diablo Rosso scooter.. they flatten equally and at that point their typical shape doesnt help..

they work good but straight roads kill them

they deserve a try anyway...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Any advice on installing a set of Kenda KD1 tires? I’m not sure who I could take them to locally. Maybe my local Honda dealer would do a good job? Maybe...lol.

I would prefer to just do it myself. I don’t currently own the proper levers for motorcycle tires or rim protectors. I’ve changed countless tubeless mountain bike tires, and they are super tight nowadays. It’s difficult to get the bead to seat, but I imagine the Grom tires are much more difficult since they are thicker. I don’t want some yahoo scratching up my rims.

Do they need to be balanced somehow?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts