Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive already posted about moving my Grom in a pickup by compressing the forks with straps.

But it occurs to me my route will be going up and down some serious hills.

Will putting the bike in gear and duct taping the front brake on serve to hold the bike from rolling backward? The front wall of the bed keeps it from going forward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No. It's bad for the transmission to leave the bike in gear. Your salesman should help you load the bike and tie it down properly. DON'T tie it down too tight. I've seen customers bend their handlebars by going wild with ratchet type tie downs. You've made a great choice; this is a great starter bike. Be careful and have fun.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ive loaded bikes yes. But never such a small one with so little fork travel. This bike is LIGHT too and I wonder will it bounce around.

I'll be going 250+ miles on some curvy road and up and down monster hills at 60 mph.

Dont want that sucker bouncing around back there!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
You'll be fine. I've hauled little CRF50s all over Southern California no problem.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
load it.. drive a few miles.. stop and check.. when i got mine.. we loaded it into composimo's truck.. he strapped it down using 2 straps and one on the rear wrapped around the tire.. he drove to his shop.. once he put on tidytail.. i had to load it on the back of my jeep using a motorcycle rack.. we had it tied down.. i drove 1 mile and turned onto the hwy and it shifted.. stopped.. had to redo the whole straps.. pita on the side of a busy highway but i had 1.5hrs drive with the same up/down and curvy roads.. this time i put a strap on the rear wheel.. put it in gear and wrapped a bungie around front brake.. drove home all the while watching my rear view because the grom is so small compared to my stretched ruckus.. i couldnt see either the front or rear wheel from my side mirrors.. the only thing i could see were the Grom mirrors.. i made it home and it hadn't moved again.. so just do it right and you should be fine..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thxxx

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ive already posted about moving my Grom in a pickup by compressing the forks with straps.

But it occurs to me my route will be going up and down some serious hills.

Will putting the bike in gear and duct taping the front brake on serve to hold the bike from rolling backward? The front wall of the bed keeps it from going forward.
if you that concerned, jus throw a strap over the rear wheel. you gonna load straight in the bed? or diagonal? i have a full size crew cab gmc standard bed and the bike just barely cleared loading straight. i ask cause the only time i had bikes able to roll back was when i load them diagonal (pointing towards the driver side is my personal prefrence, doesn't block as much rear view mirror an head check blind spot.) tire wedged into corner. so can't really get 2 tie points on the front of the bike to the front of the bed. but anyway, i just add another strap from the corner where the tire is wedged to the passenger foot peg. i load my other bike diagonal so i can close my tailgate.

·
Registered
942 Posts
oh an the non ratcheting type is just fine, since its so easy to compress the forks. no even need compress all the way, about half way compressed is good enough.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Also, as my kids like to tell me, "Dad, it is not like it is trying to escape."

Reactions: MSX125

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks Im loading straight in. I really appreciate the advice because even though Ive done this before it was only for a short distance and I wasnt going up and down mountains.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
what size is the truck, is it a full size bed like on a F150 or a short bed like a Tacoma? I was paranoid when I took mine home in my Tacoma because I had to leave the tail down. The funny thing about that is I'm not paranoid when I transport the ruck with the tail down. Guess I'm just used to tying the ruckus down

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A grom wont fit in a six foot bed?

·
Registered
236 Posts
A strap around the rear wheel/tire will solve any problems if you are worried. Even if one of the front straps loosened, the back will still keep it under control.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Grom shouldn't move an inch! 2 straps on the bars are plenty. Don't use ratchet straps, they're an unnecessary pain in the ass. Get a decent set from your bike shop. I prefer the ones with soft straps that go around your bars so they don't get scratched by the hook. The only time I've ever had the rear end of a bike move side to side on me was when I had my crf50 tied down. The angle that the tie downs were at, when tightened, took all the weight off the rear. The Grom as heavy as it is, will NOT have this problem. I've been transporting my full sized and mini dirt bikes for years. Some trips hundreds of miles, and others were over some extremely bumpy and off camber dirt roads.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got home safe and sound without a murmur of a problem!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts