Honda Grom banner

GMC Sierra 1, Grom 0

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I ride everyday rain or shine and I've been in a few MC vers car incidents, one of my worst was a guy in a cargo van changing lane into me and telling the police that I hit his van. I ended up winning a $180K lawsuit.

I did not quit riding my motorcycles and I have a few, yes vehicles will not see you at times or they "drives" are busy texting on their cell phone and that is why I ride with a gopro action video camera every time I ride my MC or drive my car, videos don't lie.

Shit will happen even if you ride a bicycle, walk across a cross walk and such, life is a risk, you can stay lock up in a bubble or go out and enjoy life.

Hope you get well soon, sorry for you accident.

I ride all my MC like I stole it and I ride like there is a target on my back and drivers are out there to hit me, be aware, be cautious and know your surroundings and limits.

#4 ·
Like most people, the guy who hit me appears to live paycheck-to-paycheck based on where he lives, what he drives, and who he has insurance with. He lives in a neighboring state that has relatively low minimum liability insurance requirements and, again, like most people, it's highly unlikely that he purchased more than the minimum required coverage.

I expect the motorcycle to be taken care of, but I have no idea how much the ambulance ride and four-hour ER visit will cost.

All I expect is to be made whole - compensated for the motorcycle, all medical bills paid, compensation for time off work, and a fair amount for the pain and suffering. The person who hit me had insurance, admitted he wasn't paying attention, and will have to deal with the consequences of a ticket and higher insurance premiums for the next few years.

I'm not one of these people out looking to sue for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. I live a comfortable life and don't do without. But, I do believe the driver who hit me should be faced with consequences at least equal to what his negligence caused me. I don't expect him to be put on a motorcycle and rear-ended, but I do expect a hit to his wallet is in order.

#6 · (Edited)
I was t-boned in 2016 by someone who pulled out from a stop sign. Yes, they t-boned me, I took a 2015 Accord straight to the left boot.

I was young and dumb at the time, and as luck would have it, my parents were out of the country and I didn't reach out for legal advice.

I was lucky enough to walk (hobble) away with no broken bones, but the impact to my left foot has left me with limited mobility after completely healing. I refused medical treatment at the scene.

My biggest regret? Feeling bad for the guy at the time and signing legal paperwork too fast, only pursuing getting my bike value covered...and accepting a measly $1000 for pain and suffering.

Reactions: 50-50
#8 ·
Don't forget to include in the claim your helmet (should not be used again if involved in a crash, even if it didn't take serious damage, the shell can't be evaluated visually), any damaged piece of clothing, especially your essential protective gear: boots, armored jacket, back protector, gloves, etc. Any damaged accessories on the bike should also be part of the claim. Also if this person lives paycheck to paycheck as you say, then that truck is financed, and he is required to carry higher than minimum coverage. Hopefully you also carry uninsured/underinsured coverage, which is very cheap and useful for these situations. You should also be careful making details public while the claim is still pending, your sympathy for the person who hit you can be used against you by his insurance company, and if people start to victim-blame, you could end up inadvertently giving inappropriate concessions while you try to explain the incident in more detail. In any case, a lawyer is strongly recommended. Hope you recover quickly and fully.

#9 ·
Glad to hear you're okay. Thats the most important thing. And as others have mentioned, claim everything and get in touch with a good moto lawyer. I know you feel bad for the guy, but think of other riders/drivers who could fall victim of his bad driving. And lastly, I hope you come around about riding again. Be safe out there everyone.

#10 ·
Glad you're ok after what could have been a much worse outcome. It really is scary driving around seeing how many people are staring at their phones. Out of everything I see on the road, that really makes my blood boil. Do people really think they're that important that they can't wait until they're not driving to answer a text or something?

Anyway, as you heal and wait for any compensation, reflect on everything. Not just the accident, but the fun you had riding around. There's millions of motorcycles available and they'll always be around, but there's only one you so focus on yourself and getting better. If you decide to take a break then take a break. Obviously we're all biased, but it's your life.

#11 ·
Sorry man. I got hit from behind once when I stopped at a train crossing but it was at a much slower speed than yours. I stayed upright too. Yeah, the guy was on the phone. His insurance paid for all repairs at the Honda shop. I still ride but it took a while to get comfortable on the road again.

In my advanced riding class the instructor said to keep one eye in the mirror and tap, tap, tap your brakes to light up your brake light until they finally get a clue and prepare to take evasive action if they are still coming fast. Yeah, I know, easy to say after the fact.

Good luck.
Happy trails.

Reactions: zroger73
#12 ·
ZRoger

Sucks that someone's carelessness has caused you pain and worse, the thought of giving up something you love. I'm new to the small bike thing, but I have been riding various sizes of harley's for years. And with that comes all of the close calls. Mostly anymore, I try to limit my exposure by staying away from heavy traffic areas and the big city idiots. But that only limits your risk.

I look at ever person in a car as the enemy and try to gage what my level of risk is from them. I assume every person is going to pull out in front of me and every person behind me isn't going to stop. Sucks to ride that way, but its not just defensive riding anymore, its an all out battle for survival.

At the end of the day, I still take the risk and ride. I gave it up for about 10 years when my twins came (out of the fear of both my wife and I getting clipped). But missed the open road too much. Just manage the risk and be as safe as you can.

#15 ·
If the frame and engine is ok I would buy it back and use the engine to make a BBK kit.

As far as other mention it doesn't matter how much safety gear you wear if the cage driver is not paying attention shit happens, esp if they are looking at the text message, putting make up on, having their GF giving you special treatment while driving etc. you just have to ride like everyone is out there to hit you and be aware of your surroundings.

I've been riding for a long time and been in a few accident where someone cut into my lane, stop at the end of a on ramp, looking at their phone, shit happens, just always wear and use some type of action video camera because at most accident the other person always or sometimes try to blame the accident on you.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you are okay (presume you are doing well). I would suggest getting a brake light modulator that flashes your tail light when you are braking (cheap). I would also suggest a dash cam with a front/rear camera to help with he said - she said issues in the future. I have known people who got backed into at a red light (person wants to get in a different lane and doesn't see the bike) and then claimed that the biker rear-ended their truck.

I have this cam (Innovv K2) on three of my motorcycles and I love it! https://www.amazon.com/INNOVV-Chann...rds=innovv+k2&qid=1567696440&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Hope it turns out okay for you.

-Studio1930

#19 ·
My totaled Grom finally appeared in the Copart listing this week.

https://www.copart.com/lot/48242119

Last night, I sold the VFR800 for 88% of what I paid for it to the owner of a clean, low-mileage 2007 CBR1000RR for his wife. Ironically, the guy tried to buy the same VFR from the same dealer, but I beat him to it! It's funny how that stuff works out sometimes.

That leaves me with the 2019 PCX150 scooter, which I'll probably hang on to for quick trips to the grocery store on evenings and weekends.

#20 ·
Some final updates:

1. Last month, I received a settlement from the insurance company a few weeks after sending a settlement demand letter.

2. The totaled Grom sold at auction for $385.

3. A few weeks ago, I picked up a new MX-5 Miata as a replacement for the motorcycles.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.