Honda Grom banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get a Grom, and I intend to use it in the high way so I'll need better top speed. I was wondering if a 16/29 gear ratio would be the best option for increasing my top speed to begin with. I also intend to upgrade the air intake, ECU and exhaust, just looking for the most top speed preformance so I'm not redlines in top gear the whole way to work. Thanks for any insight you can give me especially if anyone has tried this ratio!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,067 Posts
It will go much slower than stock! You will not have near enough power to push that gearing. You need a different bike, just being honest. My Grom has been 83mph and can easily maintain 65+ mph even up hill. I still take the back roads to work to avoid the highway. I commute 45 minutes one way. My gearing is 15T/38T, I ride @9500+ rpm nearly the whole way because I'm 125cc and that is where I make power. I bought a 2nd bike to ride to work, now I ride the Grom for fun.

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a data point for you from a 200 lb rider on a 2018 Grom with 200 miles on it. On OEM gearing (15/34) my top speed on level ground was consistently 53 mph. It would not pull to the red line in 4th gear - just not enough power. I swapped out the final drive to 14/36 or -1 on the front/ +2 on the rear sprocket. The bike accelerates noticeably quicker and will now pull to the red line in 4th gear showing 60 mph on the speedo but GPS verified at 53 mph. Changing the final drive ratio will definitely throw off the speedo calibration and increasing the ratio as I did will cause it to read high.

My conclusion: the bike just does not have enough power to pull my 200 lbs to highway speed even in a full tuck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts