Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yours is a lightened one. You must of bought the bike used. No grom has come with a spinner like that. Even my buddies 2015 didn't have that.
Your correct, I forgot that I have Finbro motor. Finbro must machine down the spinner or maybe there is a Thailand spec spinner that is lightened?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your correct, I forgot that I have Finbro motor. Finbro must machine down the spinner or maybe there is a Thailand spec spinner that is lightened?
Naw thats a machined down spinner for sure.

230 grams... good lord its light too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can u keep ur oil spinner with the kitaco side cover? One thing I think EVERYONE has failed to see is that removing the oil spinner ur essentially removing the engine dampener. It's called an oil spinner and uses the oil to balance the engine. This along with a lot of other misinformed things is the reason why people are ruining their motors but that's none of my business...I'm just a car guy with a grom. ;)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I fancy having a go at this mod.
Going to order a spare spinner, it's only about £35 over this side.
So if i'm not happy with it I've still got the original to go back to.
Can someone tell me if the holding nut is Left hand thread or Right hand,
and what the torque setting is?

Cheers Dog

Regular threads, 47ftlbs.

And to YayGrom, as far as i know no, as the oil filter location is in the way of the spinner itself.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Can u keep ur oil spinner with the kitaco side cover? One thing I think EVERYONE has failed to see is that removing the oil spinner ur essentially removing the engine dampener. It's called an oil spinner and uses the oil to balance the engine. This along with a lot of other misinformed things is the reason why people are ruining their motors but that's none of my business...I'm just a car guy with a grom. ;)
Too many people sometimes over THINK

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is more to it with the Kitco clutch side cover that are way more plus than doing the lightening oil spinner

No longer have to pull of the side cover and take off the cover for the spinner to clean out the inside of the spinner

No longer have to worry about tearing the the clutch side cover gasket or the spinner gasket

No longer have to worry about thinking did I really torqued down the spinner three bolts

No longer have oil dripping on your garage floor or roadway while doing the oil change, cleaning the oil spinner, cleaning the filter tray

No longer have to remove clutch cable when removing clutch side cover for oil change

No longer have to remove those 8 plus bolts to remove the clutch side cover

EZ of oil change and just replace the oil filter

EZ of checking oil level

my point is, ALL OF THIS^^^^ for two hundred measly, stinkin', dollars? and people still say that's too much.

surprised it wasn't tree fitty.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
my point is, ALL OF THIS^^^^ for two hundred measly, stinkin', dollars? and people still say that's too much.

surprised it wasn't tree fitty.

again, dont like it get out. Not telling you how to mod your grom or spend your money. Me personally like stated various times in this thread, have no desire for the kitaco side cover. So 200 buck saved went to mostly funding a BBK.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's is not the same as an oil filled damper that come on cars. It does no balancing as these bikes are internally balanced. Thus no need for an external damper. You also still have a huge flywheel taking secondary vibrations in the engine. The spinner was a cheap easy design that works. The added weight helps when the engine was designed for a scooter but is no longer needed in a grom which has gears and not a cat transmission. We are not misinformed you're just over thinking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's is not the same as an oil filled damper that come on cars. It does no balancing as these bikes are internally balanced. Thus no need for an external damper. You also still have a huge flywheel taking secondary vibrations in the engine. The spinner was a cheap easy design that works. The added weight helps when the engine was designed for a scooter but is no longer needed in a grom which has gears and not a cat transmission. We are not misinformed you're just over thinking.
Just to add more input: In the case of my grom, adding the lightened oil spinner actually reduced my engine vibrations - I can't really tell when I'm driving, but it's certainly better when stopped at a light. I don't know if the weight is now more balanced, or if the precision machining got rid of the sloppier stock oil spinner tolerances. Either way, I'm satisfied with the lighter spinner!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I admit i thought same :shocked:

I mean oil spinner - dampener

maybe it balances something... anyway I'm interested in this mod too :crazy:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just to add more input: In the case of my grom, adding the lightened oil spinner actually reduced my engine vibrations - I can't really tell when I'm driving, but it's certainly better when stopped at a light. I don't know if the weight is now more balanced, or if the precision machining got rid of the sloppier stock oil spinner tolerances. Either way, I'm satisfied with the lighter spinner!
I noticed this as well. Smoother motor all through the rev range, probably due to shaving off any slight unbalances that were further out on the spinner, that have more of an effect on vibrations.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It does not balance anything. The weight is there from when the motor was designed as a scooter engine. It added weight to make the scooter engine accelerate better. It functions as 3 things which are rotating mass (which scooters need for the cvt), oil filtering and a spacer to hold primary reduction gear in place. 0 damping is done by it.

If there was truly any dampening going on with it we would have engines grenading all over. Mine and Cisco would have been done long ago. Mine has over 2500 miles with the Kitaco or lightened oil spinner and those are hard miles and still running strong.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It does not balance anything. The weight is there from when the motor was designed as a scooter engine. It added weight to make the scooter engine accelerate better. It functions as 3 things which are rotating mass (which scooters need for the cvt), oil filtering and a spacer to hold primary reduction gear in place. 0 damping is done by it.

If there was truly any dampening going on with it we would have engines grenading all over. Mine and Cisco would have been done long ago. Mine has over 2500 miles with the Kitaco or lightened oil spinner and those are hard miles and still running strong.

yeah it definitely doesnt do any dampening like a harmonic balancer would. That stated my motor does run smoother with it turned down, which is likely due to like stated the better machining and getting rid of the possible defects on the outer edge of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Question for the tech minded.

How the fug does this spinner work?
It's got a hollow shaft into it to allow oil in (I'm guessing)
and a gasket to stop oil getting out.
So where does the oil go,
and what exactly is it's function as far as oil is concerned?

I must admit to not examining it closely, just checked out an exploded drawing.
Which describes it as a Rotor/oil filter.

Dog

·
Registered
938 Posts
In the crankshaft you notice a hole couple holes in it to allow oil in and out of the spinner. As the oil and contaminates come in they are spun at the speed of the crank shaft. The contaminates are then "flung" to the outside of the spinner thus acting as a filter. There is a second hole for the oil to then pass through and keep on its journey to lubricating the crank bearings.

Here is a link to give you an idea how it works but instead of the oil jets spinning the oil spinner in the grom. The crank shaft is used to create the centrifical force.
http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1/1040/How.The.Centrifuge.Works

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Question for the tech minded.

How the fug does this spinner work?
It's got a hollow shaft into it to allow oil in (I'm guessing)
and a gasket to stop oil getting out.
So where does the oil go,
and what exactly is it's function as far as oil is concerned?

I must admit to not examining it closely, just checked out an exploded drawing.
Which describes it as a Rotor/oil filter.

Dog
Oil enters the end of the crank, hits a wall and gets slung into the spinner cavity. It then goes back into the center of the crank to the rod etc. When the oil gets flung into the spinner cavity the heavy particles stick to the inside wall of the spinner.

spin.png

21 - 40 of 55 Posts