Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped off my oil spinner the other day and had a machinist buddy with a lathe who owed me a favor turn down the spinner. Did one main cut to get the overall OD down to where the thickness of material outside the 3 main holes was the same as the to the inside. Then did a second further step in leaving 10mm of the main OD so the bolts could thread in. The second step went down about halfway through the holes. We probably coulda taken more off the second step but returns at that point were going to be minimal and i didnt want to compromise the spinners integrity.

Realistically the majority of the weight came off in the first OD cut and that was furthest out from the crank (hardest to spin).

Weight before 1034g, weight after 446g. 588g weight reduction (or 1.296lbs) THATS ALOT!

Overall impressions. The bike is MUCH more responsive, she revs quicker, revs SMOOTHER, and feels more free at the top end. It seems like the bike cruises at 55mph easier now. But the biggest thing is the much better throttle response, Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you have the know how. Cost was free for me outside of sacrificing a socket to make the tool to pull the spinner nut off. Also threw in some EBC clutch springs while i was in there (10 bucks) for a little bit better clutch bite.

IMG_20160405_194436.jpg IMG_20160409_121654.jpg IMG_20160409_124202.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's quite a difference isn't it! I got mine from KCP and throttle response was greatly improved and revs picked up a lot quicker too. only thing is now it's easier to stall! have done it quite a lot lately... lol

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nice pics.

Polar moments are funny things, being a function solely of the radius (or dia) to the 4th power. So (assuming the weight is evenly distributed to make it easy) a reduction in radius by 1/4 nets you a reduction is polar moment by ~2/3. If we reduce the radius by 1/3, that nets us an 80% reduction, and finally.... drop half the radius and thats a 94% reduction (15/16). which relatively speaking, is like 0.

·
Registered
938 Posts
now imagine the kitaco cover with none of that weight on the crank. Makes a world of difference. The oil spinner is a fat porker from honda. A lot of weight for a little 125 to spin around.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now imagine the kitaco cover with none of that weight on the crank. Makes a world of difference. The oil spinner is a fat porker from honda. A lot of weight for a little 125 to spin around.

Oh i can imagine there are still some gains to be had by going the route of the kitaco cover. That stated, the 200 bucks for minimal gains beyond the lightened spinner aint worth it for me, id rather put that towards a bbk!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I can understand that. I had the lightened spinner and then went KitaCo cover and it helped a good amount. I just wanted the oil filter and cooler fittings. But for free it's a damn good mod. Well worth it. I see no negatives to it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can understand that. I had the lightened spinner and then went KitaCo cover and it helped a good amount. I just wanted the oil filter and cooler fittings. But for free it's a damn good mod. Well worth it. I see no negatives to it.

exactly, literally free outside of some time (and realistically if i already had the tool to get the nut off and didnt have to make it, i could be in and out of the crank case in 5 minutes flat). After doing about 50 miles or so on her yesterday n today, definitely glad i did it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just pulled of my spinner from my 2015 Grom to do the Kitaco side cover with oil cooler. I was watching the Hardracing install video and noticed their spinner was way bigger than mine. I weighed mine and it weighs only 230 grams. Honda must have changed to a lighter spinner for 2015. A new spinner only cost about $35.

Props to Hardracing - Great customer service and than you for taking the time to make the install videos, they are very helpfull!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
There is more to it with the Kitco clutch side cover that are way more plus than doing the lightening oil spinner

No longer have to pull of the side cover and take off the cover for the spinner to clean out the inside of the spinner

No longer have to worry about tearing the the clutch side cover gasket or the spinner gasket

No longer have to worry about thinking did I really torqued down the spinner three bolts

No longer have oil dripping on your garage floor or roadway while doing the oil change, cleaning the oil spinner, cleaning the filter tray

No longer have to remove clutch cable when removing clutch side cover for oil change

No longer have to remove those 8 plus bolts to remove the clutch side cover

EZ of oil change and just replace the oil filter

EZ of checking oil level

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just pulled of my spinner from my 2015 Grom to do the Kitaco side cover with oil cooler. I was watching the Hardracing install video and noticed their spinner was way bigger than mine. I weighed mine and it weighs only 230 grams. Honda must have changed to a lighter spinner for 2015. A new spinner only cost about $35.

Props to Hardracing - Great customer service and than you for taking the time to make the install videos, they are very helpfull!!!

Yours is a lightened one. You must of bought the bike used. No grom has come with a spinner like that. Even my buddies 2015 didn't have that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yours is a lightened one. You must of bought the bike used. No grom has come with a spinner like that. Even my buddies 2015 didn't have that.
Agreed - I just pulled my spinner last night and replaced it with a lightened one. My stock one (2015) was huge compared to the lightened one. :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah that is an already machined down one, i think a vendor on here sells them like that.

There is more to it with the Kitco clutch side cover that are way more plus than doing the lightening oil spinner

No longer have to pull of the side cover and take off the cover for the spinner to clean out the inside of the spinner

No longer have to worry about tearing the the clutch side cover gasket or the spinner gasket

No longer have to worry about thinking did I really torqued down the spinner three bolts

No longer have oil dripping on your garage floor or roadway while doing the oil change, cleaning the oil spinner, cleaning the filter tray

No longer have to remove clutch cable when removing clutch side cover for oil change

No longer have to remove those 8 plus bolts to remove the clutch side cover

EZ of oil change and just replace the oil filter

EZ of checking oil level
The kitaco side cover is cool n all, but for how often you dont have to clean the oil screen / spinner.... the 200 bucks doesnt even come close to justify the pros to it.

I can get in and clean the oil spinner n screen in get it back together in ~ 10 min.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Like I said it's not for every one. I bought just for the easy of oil check. The dip stick made me feel like I'm checking my mower...... you are right though about the price. It's all in how your priorities are. For me it was in least amount of weight on the crank, oil cooler fittings and oil sight window. The filter was a bonus. I change my oil every 600 miles.

I would recommend getting an upgraded oil pump though and throw it in since you plan on getting a big bore.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
200 bucks for that trick ass side cover is nothing. if you're poor, stay home.
the bottom line is are we all having fun with our grom no matter how much we spend or don't spend on the grom.

We are happy campers with pure stock grom to full out custom grom, life is good if you have the money to pour into your grom or life is good if your grom will get you where you want to go.

We share info because that is what it is all about

Here is my spinner way back when and I had it machined also but I really like the Kitco kit better

Also lighten flywheel

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because some of us like DIY, making things our own, and spending our money on things that will make MUCH bigger gains, like a bbk. The 200 bucks i could of spent on the kitaco side cover almost covered the 164 kitaco bbk i got coming. The oil spinner was free outside of gas to get to my buddies house, 20mi round trip, But i got a good shoot the shit session with my buddy i hadnt seen in awhile. Overall, i won on this endeavor.

Yall can buy your fancy aftermarket bling bling parts and throw money at the bike, but thats not what i bought it for, i got mine to actually wrench on, play with see what I myself can make it do and make it preform better. And I am definitely, not poor, otherwise i wouldnt own the, lets face it, toy of a motorcycle known as a grom.

The kitaco side cover is nice, and its how the bike should of been from the factory, but its just not for me.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Wow it's not about being poor or not poor at all. Some people want it some dont. Not a big deal. I have it and it's great along with all the other aftermarket bs I have put on mine. I probably don't want to even look at what my total is. If I had to guess I have at least the cost of the grom into it.

Nd4spdbh I can totally understand the tinker idea. That's why I went the high compression 125cc instead of jumping to a big bore. I learned a good amount. The bike rips pretty good for what it is. I honestly have my eyes on a reliable 170cc koso 4 valve with the finbro forged crank and rod. That's what we bought these for right? They are toys in the end.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Well, that's about the dumbest post I've seen in awhile.

I'm sure the cover is cool and all, but not something I'll spend $200 on. Sure as hell not because I'm poor though. My brand new Grom, that is paid for by the way, is parked next to my other motorcycle, my car, and my wife's car, in my 3 car garage of my 2 story house that has a swimming pool in the back yard that my son (that just enrolled in college) and daughter swim in. I'm far from poor, but I'm not spending $200 on that and to assume anyone that doesn't is poor is just asinine.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts