Honda Grom banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
1,867 Posts
I appreciate the other option choice even if it doesn't really compare to the G2. Seems like all decent parts for the GROM cost "full motorcycle price".
Many components are full motorcycle components. Throttle tubes are identical to all full size motorcycles, and it doesn't cost the tube manufacturer less to make it, because the MSRP of the bike is lower...

·
Registered
11 Posts
started install of this throttle tonight. Sorta of a PIA to install. The instructions are worthless. They took the time to print GROM throttle on the top but not make sure the instruction pertain to a GROM. Fought this thing for 45 some minutes tonight before interneting and finding out you need to loosen the throttle cables. Would be nice to have that in the instructions or atleast just mention it. Being hot and humid as crap and clouds of mosquitoes in the garage didn't help the process any. Will finish up it tomorrow and hopefully get it all wrapped up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
started install of this throttle tonight. Sorta of a PIA to install. The instructions are worthless. They took the time to print GROM throttle on the top but not make sure the instruction pertain to a GROM. Fought this thing for 45 some minutes tonight before interneting and finding out you need to loosen the throttle cables. Would be nice to have that in the instructions or atleast just mention it. Being hot and humid as crap and clouds of mosquitoes in the garage didn't help the process any. Will finish up it tomorrow and hopefully get it all wrapped up.

update: anyways cooler weather tonight and a bit of a cooler head and clearer thought process. A bit of installer error last night. I found out about the nub (via internets) in the throttle controls housing that needs to be removed in the metal round flat tab. I used a 7/32 drill to remove the nub (drill out the hole slightly bigger). Everything was pretty smooth after that. So would be nice to have that in the info sheet they sent, it would have actually been more helpful than what was on the sheet. I would also suggest a bit more install info from MNNTHBX. Just a suggestion, I figured most of it out but was surprised to not see any info in the package. I will say the shipping speed was unreal. Hard to find vendors that ship that quickly.

Anyways the throttle is nice. It seemed a bit loose on the Renthal bars to what I was expecting but seems to operate fine and is much better than stock.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll throw out my review in comparison to the stock Grom throttle (p/n 53140-KYJ-305 on both 1st and 2nd gen.) by referencing some claims and data I've gathered:

After installing this, I was still finding myself walking my fingertips from 90% to WOT which seemed a little odd given the expected 10-20% twist reduction. I e-mailed G2 regarding the 'Y100' cam that was used as the "100" seemed to imply stock throttle twist. G2 explained that this was meaningless on the Grom since this throttle was using a Yamaha cam, 37 mm diameter vs. the stock Grom 31 mm dia. cam. In terms of twist, this would equate to about 20% reduced travel.

However...

I took it upon myself to measure my stock throttle and Y100 cam, and the measurements were 34 mm (exactly) and 36.2-36.3 mm. In terms of travel (arc length), this is only about a 6% reduction or 4 degrees (!!) given an approximate 60 deg throw.

So I'm not pointing fingers here because even G2 seemed to have incorrect data, but the way this throttle tube is advertised is a little misleading, especially at the ~$80 price:

The Quick Turn Throttle Tube consists of the ultra-smooth G2 tube with Delrin inserts fitted with a throttle cam (or “pulley”) approximately 10% larger than stock. This translates into about 10 degrees less “twist” necessary to reach wide open. To put this into perspective, a 3% change is noticeable, so a 10% increase will make a significant difference!

Alternate cam at 20% larger sold separately.

Both the 10% estimate and 10 degree reduction are high estimates , and there is no 20% cam as the Y100 is nearly in contact with the stock throttle housing.

G2 makes the finest throttle tubes in the world, and has worked with xxx to bring this fantastic piece to the Grom market. 20% quicker throw. Rides on silky smooth delrin sleeves. Increased throttle response.
The throttle does not have a 20% reduction in throw.

Machine from 6061 Aluminum, G2 Honda Grom/Monkey Quick Throttle will reduce the throttle rotation about 20%. This MSX125/Grom quick throttle is useful for those who are looking for a shorter throw because they have limited range of movement because of past injuries or have a difficult time hanging on the handlebar during canyon rides or track racing.
The throttle does not have a 20% reduction in throw.

All that in mind, the only way to really achieve a better throw is to go with something made of fiber/nylon plastic (the Kitaco tube *PROBABLY* is a hair less in total throw) or replace the throttle grip with a full aftermarket assembly. So the pros of this G2 throttle are really just the Delrin bearings, which are certainly smooth, and the aluminum construction which doesn't feel mushy like the Kitaco has been known to. Cons are the price, and the fact that this is even a product given the stock cam housing is too small to really make a drop-in product worthwhile.

If you want a quicker throttle on the Grom, spend 10 bucks on the Kitaco tube and save your money for a real throttle kit down the line.

·
Registered
235 Posts
G2 is working on getting me a 39.6 mm cam - as long as the stock housing can be modified to accept this, I should be able to pull a U-turn on my review above. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
235 Posts
This definitely will not be a drop-in upgrade if the 39.6 mm cam works. The stock housing is going to need some serious Dremel work but the stock parts are cheap enough I'm not really too worried.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well I was wrong - the Y050 cam drops right into the Grom throttle housing and took me to about 95% of where I'd really like to be (meaning that hitting the sweet spot would require an expensive new throttle housing and switch gear).

I've recommended that G2 update the Grom kit to include the Y050 by default. The only thing you need to be careful about is NOT over-torquing the upper throttle housing screw. You can get it REALLY tight... but if you seriously go nuts on it, it will cause return drag.

I plan to put a caliper on the Y050 to verify the 39.6 mm dia., but if correct, that equates to a reduction of 16% or 8.5 degrees (given the 60 deg stock WOT estimate). This is actually a noticeable reduction while the Y100 cam really was not.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well I was wrong - the Y050 cam drops right into the Grom throttle housing and took me to about 95% of where I'd really like to be (meaning that hitting the sweet spot would require an expensive new throttle housing and switch gear).

I've recommended that G2 update the Grom kit to include the Y050 by default. The only thing you need to be careful about is NOT over-torquing the upper throttle housing screw. You can get it REALLY tight... but if you seriously go nuts on it, it will cause return drag.

I plan to put a caliper on the Y050 to verify the 39.6 mm dia., but if correct, that equates to a reduction of 16% or 8.5 degrees (given the 60 deg stock WOT estimate). This is actually a noticeable reduction while the Y100 cam really was not.
An update to this, I went back to the Y100 cam as I installed a new handlebar and it caused binding. The Y050 cam is extremely sensitive to just a little change in bar O.D. Also worth noting, the Y100 cam is much smoother than the Y050. Fun while it lasted, but the Y100 is the better choice, despite not changing throttle travel much.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts