Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Grommers.

I wanted to share my experience with a recent install. Specifically, the G2 Quick Turn Throttle by G2 Ergonomics, purchased from MNNTHBX.

As a disclaimer, this review is completely initiated by me, and I received no discounts, or special favors from G2 Ergonomics or MNNTHBX. In fact, they probably don't even know I'm writing it.

Installation: Quite simple and straightforward as far as throttle tubes are concerned. I only had to modify one part, not because of the throttle, but because of I was also upgrading the handlebar at the same time. It's completely 'plug-n-play' if utilizing the stock handlebar.

Fit: Once everything is set up, it is I distinguishable from the outside in appearance, and fits completely within the stock right hand assembly without modification (except as noted above).

Performance: This is the fun part. :) The difference between the stock throttle's plastic tube, and the machined aluminum on Delrin sleeves is night and day. Whereby with the stock setup, there's a slightly grainy feeling whilst twisting the throttle, with the G2, is nothing but smoothness. It wasn't until after I installed it that I realized just how 'rough' the stocker is. I even switched the stock throttle back on briefly to make sure I wasn't experiencing a placebo effect. Nope, it really is that different.

But the main reason anyone will likely purchase this isn't because they have issues with a grainy plastic tube, it's the reduction of twist necessary to go from fully closed to fully open throttle. And in that regard, it really shines. Small bikes like the Grom see a LOT of WOT time. This just makes it that much easier/pleasurable to do.

Summary: Between the shortened throw and the smoothness, I think this modification was money well spent. If you're planning a handlebar upgrade for your Grom, you should at a minimum give this mod some consideration. Next time you're riding, imagine not having to twist the throttle but 3/4 or 4/5 of the distance. And also think about how twisting the throttle feels. With the G2, you don't really feel it at all anymore. It just twists.

Pros: Smoother throttle throw. Shortened throttle twist. Utilizes stock housing.

Cons: Not cheap (but not nearly as expensive as other throttle mods on the market). Non-adjustable. Not good for stunters/stunting -- G2 does, however, make a "Throttle Tamer" for stunt work that increases throttle distance.

5/5

~Tommy

·
Vendor
1,867 Posts
Hello fellow Grommers.

I wanted to share my experience with a recent install. Specifically, the G2 Quick Turn Throttle by G2 Ergonomics, purchased from MNNTHBX.

As a disclaimer, this review is completely initiated by me, and I received no discounts, or special favors from G2 Ergonomics or MNNTHBX. In fact, they probably don't even know I'm writing it.

Installation: Quite simple and straightforward as far as throttle tubes are concerned. I only had to modify one part, not because of the throttle, but because of I was also upgrading the handlebar at the same time. It's completely 'plug-n-play' if utilizing the stock handlebar.

Fit: Once everything is set up, it is I distinguishable from the outside in appearance, and fits completely within the stock right hand assembly without modification (except as noted above).

Performance: This is the fun part. :) The difference between the stock throttle's plastic tube, and the machined aluminum on Delrin sleeves is night and day. Whereby with the stock setup, there's a slightly grainy feeling whilst twisting the throttle, with the G2, is nothing but smoothness. It wasn't until after I installed it that I realized just how 'rough' the stocker is. I even switched the stock throttle back on briefly to make sure I wasn't experiencing a placebo effect. Nope, it really is that different.

But the main reason anyone will likely purchase this isn't because they have issues with a grainy plastic tube, it's the reduction of twist necessary to go from fully closed to fully open throttle. And in that regard, it really shines. Small bikes like the Grom see a LOT of WOT time. This just makes it that much easier/pleasurable to do.

Summary: Between the shortened throw and the smoothness, I think this modification was money well spent. If you're planning a handlebar upgrade for your Grom, you should at a minimum give this mod some consideration. Next time you're riding, imagine not having to twist the throttle but 3/4 or 4/5 of the distance. And also think about how twisting the throttle feels. With the G2, you don't really feel it at all anymore. It just twists.

Pros: Smoother throttle throw. Shortened throttle twist. Utilizes stock housing.

Cons: Not cheap (but not nearly as expensive as other throttle mods on the market). Non-adjustable. Not good for stunters/stunting -- G2 does, however, make a "Throttle Tamer" for stunt work that increases throttle distance.

5/5

~Tommy
Thanks for taking the time to post! Enjoy, Greg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure. It really is a great product. Like many of my mods, I wish I'd installed it sooner. :/

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Slightly shortened my handlebars today and had to disassemble everything again. If you end up using anything other than the stock handlebars, just remove the metal retention plate inside of the right assembly. It's sole purpose is to mate to the indent in the stock bars. Initially I filed it down, but it's easier (and faster) to just remove it altogether.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
/\ Don't do this. The plate must remain. You can file it and use friction tape, or drill the new bars. It can be removed for filing and easily replaced, however.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting my G2 Quick Turn. Since I spend my life at WOT on the Grom, may as well make it easier to keep it there. Had a G2 Tamer on another bike and loved the smoothness. $80 seems steep for an aluminum tube with some Teflon bushings, but the value is in what it does. Plus, it's great quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question for those with the G2 quick throttle. Do you need to purchase a new throttle grip handle to go over the aluminum quick turn? or can you just use it at it's sold here:
Chassis - MNNTHBX
If so, any suggestions on which grips to buy?

Also, can you still fit the G2 quick turn with bar end mirrors on the OEM bars?

·
Vendor
1,867 Posts
It's an upgraded tube, and like any tune, requires grips. All grips we sell for it perfectly. It can be set up to run with and accommodate any bar end, etc.

·
Vendor
1,867 Posts
Here's the time proven method for installing grips easily, and assuring they stay. I've done this at least 100 times... Wipe your bars down with acetone. Spray a small amount of White Rain hairspray into the grip. Slide on. Allow to dry for 12 hours. Safety wire each end of the grip.

Bam.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll add that acetone leaves a residue that interferes with some adhesives including most epoxies. A rinse with 99% or 91% IPA (not the beer!) will remove the residue. Not sure if this is a big deal with hairspray. I'm surprised the EPA hasn't banned Aqua Net!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate the other option choice even if it doesn't really compare to the G2. Seems like all decent parts for the GROM cost "full motorcycle price".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts