Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been researching the forum for weeks and have not found a comfortable solution to my problem. I would like to max out the potential with the stock bore. I already have a Two brothers exhaust, and chimera intake. In the near future I will be adding a Yoshimura performance cam and Finbro 125 upgraded head. The problem I have is the lack of resource to have the 02 bung welded into my exhaust otherwise PCV and WB2 would be the way to go from reading the forum. Also I've noticed the limited maps available for the bazzaz and ejk on their website and none listing the needs for my particular mods. AFR+ seems the way to go (exhaust bung not needed) but I've seen a few issues with the 02 sensor being installed in the stock location causing it to fail.
So my question what would be the best fuel controller to suit my needs:
2015 grom
exhaust
intake
Cam
port and polished head
Absolutely no plan to upgrade to BBK.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You could run a PCV/WB2 in the stock head spot, but you'd need the adapter from dobek (or your own made). As a temporary solution, id do this, but get a bung for long term.

I picked up a PLX WB gauge for something else and when reading it i saw a suggestion of 24" from the head. Ive seen minimums on others, but generally its 8-12".

Anyway, if youre going for peak power, youre going to want to mess with the timing too, so a bazzaz is probably out of the question. Depending on your experience, you could go for a full ECU replacement (with an aracer or apitech or something) too. Again, full customizability, similar to a PCV/WB2, but they normally arent as user friendly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Aracer is what I run

#Aracer rc mini plus 2 #Takegawa 181cc #finbro 125cc head #yoshimura cam #koso 34mm tb #finbro 6 hole injector #brocks exhaust

·
Registered
636 Posts
I looked into the finbro ECU but wont lose some of the stock ecu functions?
You loose some of the features but since you are in NC dont think you will have much a problem with cold start. There's a fix for that anyways.

#Aracer rc mini plus 2 #Takegawa 181cc #finbro 125cc head #yoshimura cam #koso 34mm tb #finbro 6 hole injector #brocks exhaust

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
any local exhaust shop can weld a bung on, take the header in and slip the guy 20 bucks. you can get abung at a parts store. you need to monitor it somewhat for tuning or you are just guessing.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Vendor
1,865 Posts
The Bazzaz uses the best sensor in the industry (Bosch4), and the AFM builds spot on maps. The PCV works well too. If you really care about performance, don't take any shortcuts, and use a 18mm bung, along with one of these tuners. You can do things cheaper, but not better...

·
Registered
303 Posts
You want to do exactly what I'm doing. I went built head, oversized valves, cam, etc… still stock bore. I went Bazzaz but honestly with the Finbro ECU my bazzaz is pretty much a zero map. I haven't needed to do much fueling since i went finbro. Im about to do the koso TB and intake manifold along with fuel line so might need the bazzaz. we shall see.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You want to do exactly what I'm doing. I went built head, oversized valves, cam, etc… still stock bore. I went Bazzaz but honestly with the Finbro ECU my bazzaz is pretty much a zero map. I haven't needed to do much fueling since i went finbro. Im about to do the koso TB and intake manifold along with fuel line so might need the bazzaz. we shall see.
post up once you find out, more I read about the finbro it sounds like it just about does it all. do you know what your afr is?

are u running the cold start fix?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
To clarify on MNNTHBX's comment... The Bazzaz uses a Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor (at least, bazzaz's latest autotune module), whereas I believe the WB2 (and PCV) still uses a Bosch LSU 4.2 Lambda sensor. They both do the same thing, however the 4.2 is older and slightly more prone to failure (or something), due to what it uses as a reference for O2 level.

So with this in mind, comparing the two autotune modules (can the Bazzaz hook up a wb gauge?), id go with the bazzaz. If anyone tells you the bazzaz than the PCV is better because it can tune the full range that's completely wrong. The PCV (and autotune/wb2 module) can tune the full range, to hundreds of simultaneously AFRs. The misinformation comes in Dynojet's inability to tell people how to do it (ie ground the stock O2 sensor), and the tons of misinformation out there because no one realized this is what you had to do at the beginning.

HOWEVER... If youre going for power on the stock bore, youll probably need to mess with timing... Which the Bazzaz is unable to do as is, so the PCV wins that one. But maybe a standalone would be better?
Another point where the PCV wins over the Bazzaz is rev limiter. With the PCV, you can raise it, but the Bazzaz does not allow for this.

And of course, there are all the 'lesser ones' like the EJK and API Tech Piggyback, which are really only adjustable using some screws (trying to emulate a carb?). And theres a finbro one, which is basically a direct swap, and while it tunes itself, it uses sub par AFR monitoring technology, and has 0 user customization. Or, again, you could go to a standalone which should allow for full customizability, however at the cost of price (Aracer mini case) or tuning complexity (API Tech Standalone).

But anyway, figure out what you need to do, each fuel controller has its own advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
303 Posts
post up once you find out, more I read about the finbro it sounds like it just about does it all. do you know what your afr is?

are u running the cold start fix?
I haven't installed a wideband yet. I was just gonna get it on the dyno to tune if need be. no cold start fix i just start it while its still on the stands in gear and let it roll out on its own and warm up. I like the Bazzaz because i plan on adding the traction control and quick shift with auto-blipper later on down the road for shits n giggles.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I like my set up personally because it's able to incorporate many things into one unit. Example no for temperature gauge or a speedo healer. No need for a laptop. If you wanted you can buy the quick shift separately like every other unit.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm going to do a slight piggy back hijack on this thread. I'm ridiculously uneducated in this department.

Stock bore, full exhaust, and intake, no more plans to anything performance wise to the engine, it sounds like Finbro ECU is a good choice? I don't know how to tune, etc. I could literally plug and play, or am I misunderstanding? Finbro ECU will tune itself to mods like exhaust and intake?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts