Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the front tyre the other day in preparation for my Groms MOT (it passed with no issues) so I changed the wheel, bearings, and brake disc among other things. Obviously to swap out the wheel I needed to jack the front of the bike up. And to do so I had the rear on a paddock stand and used a scissor lift with some wood under the engine to raise the front. While this worked I wasn't happy with the setup, it wasn't as stable as I would have wanted and I was concerned that the points on the engine I was using were not the strongest. However it worked. But in the future I will need to lift the front higher and for longer in order to remove the forks to work on them, and thus I need a better or more convincingly secure way of jacking up the front of the bike, and so to my question...

How do you lift the front of the bike safely?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I get two ratchet straps and loop both around the triple tree and then around the rafters in my garage. The just ratchet it up evenly.

I have a triple tree stand but for some reason it doesnt work with the grom.

Wait what is with your name? Are we gonna have a problem here?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Same thing, I regularly hang my Grom, both for front or rear.
It was nice knowing you LordSquirrel... :shocked:

·
Registered
278 Posts
tumblr_m7quch23xX1qztvqfo2_500.png

Come at me bro

·
Registered
865 Posts
Now that was funny.....

Back on topic.....I have also used a A-frame ladder positioned over the front end of the bike, and used two straps connected to the ladder to hold up the front end from the handlebars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait what is with your name? Are we gonna have a problem here?
Now I'm not saying you should be, but if I were you I'd be worried...

As for the suggestions, hanging from the rafters or an A frame ladder isn't going to work for me. Mainly as I don't have rafters or a ladder, but also I don't like the the idea of the bike swinging around from a couple of straps (I've seen a video of someone doing this on line, and it didn't look very secure), plus the lifting points might also be something I'd want to remove. Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Now I'm not saying you should be, but if I were you I'd be worried...

As for the suggestions, hanging from the rafters or an A frame ladder isn't going to work for me. Mainly as I don't have rafters or a ladder, but also I don't like the the idea of the bike swinging around from a couple of straps (I've seen a video of someone doing this on line, and it didn't look very secure), plus the lifting points might also be something I'd want to remove. Any other ideas out there?
I only have a back yard so no rafters to use, when I took my fork legs out to change the oil I put a wooden plank across two wheelie bins and tied the bike up that way.... bit of a bodge but it was secure and worked as a one off.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't had good luck with the head stand. On my cbr it was solid, but on the grom i had to take off the headlight (no problem) and it just would not hold it. Maybe it's just the cheap stand I have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Build one like this so you can work either the front or the rear wheel.

Enviat des del meu LG-H870 usant Tapatalk
Looks like I'm going to have to dig the welder out and fabricobble something up like that, was hoping to avoid it though.

^^ that, or you could have a look at Abba stands, they have those for the Grom / MSX even though it's not listed.
https://abbastands.co.uk
Just had a look at their site and they have the MSX listed, plus I have a couple of Abba stands kicking around. However they state that the foot pegs need to be folded up which is a problem for me as I have Tyga rearsets on mine. Have you got the adaptors, if so where do they lift from?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I was going to do as obijuanito has but then as I was starting to line things up I found some extra bits from the scissor lift and well I think they are intended for frame rails on cruisers but worked for me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts