Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, for a Monkey, street use (hooligan driving style) the Ohlins FDK107 Fork Kit (compression and rebound graduation) is a overkill and is enough av good set of 68000-04 (or 05) Ohlins Fork Springs with good oil?
What you think?

·
Registered
685 Posts
For the amount of work it takes to install the fork springs....you really should just do the whole cartridge kit. BUT, if you do decide to go with just the fork springs, I can tell you that you'll need really heavy fork oil. 20WT is still much too light. I have yet to try it, but I think Screaming Eagle (for Harleys) makes a "Heavy" and "Extra Heavy" fork oil (feels almost like gear lube) that would probably work well. For sure the heavy springs and 20wt is still a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the amount of work it takes to install the fork springs....you really should just do the whole cartridge kit. BUT, if you do decide to go with just the fork springs, I can tell you that you'll need really heavy fork oil. 20WT is still much too light. I have yet to try it, but I think Screaming Eagle (for Harleys) makes a "Heavy" and "Extra Heavy" fork oil (feels almost like gear lube) that would probably work well. For sure the heavy springs and 20wt is still a big improvement over stock.
20 can be too much in general. A heavy oil can looks as good choice but the extra pressure starts to damage the seals very easy and change seals is start again from zero. In example Ohlins I think the biggest oil that have is 10. I have similar question in my Sportster and after change the springs, oil, etc etc finish putting cartridges inside and the improvement is WOW. But for a little bike as the Monkey, I'm not sure if cartridge can be a overkill, and the difference in price is $275 to $75 (plus a good oil and tools in both cases)

·
Registered
685 Posts
20 can be too much in general. A heavy oil can looks as good choice but the extra pressure starts to damage the seals very easy and change seals is start again from zero. In example Ohlins I think the biggest oil that have is 10. I have similar question in my Sportster and after change the springs, oil, etc etc finish putting cartridges inside and the improvement is WOW. But for a little bike as the Monkey, I'm not sure if cartridge can be a overkill, and the difference in price is $275 to $75 (plus a good oil and tools in both cases)
You forget that the OEM forks do not really have valving or shim stacks like bigger motorcycles. Trust me 20wt is going to be too light with heavy duty springs. If you do the ohlin's cartridge, you will want to use 5wt fork oil.

If you do not mind doing the work - try only the springs and heavy oil first. I think it should be good enough for hooligan riding. If you don't like it, you can then buy the Ohlins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts