Honda Grom banner

Front End Bent, What do i replace...

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gromkus 
#1 ·
So long story short i crashed my grom about 20-25 mph with the front end. I'm okay, no major injuries. Rode my bike home and noticed the front end was severely off. I started taking things apart trying to get to the bottom of it. Noticed a bent Fr Axle and something else is bent, im thinking a fork? I'm really not sure at this point. I've asked the opinion of a lot of my friends with Groms and no sure answer. All i know is that the forks will not align, i have tried every method i've seen online including loosening the bolts to the triple tree and trying to push down on the bike to get it to center itself and had a friend help. Will not work! I've also tried centering it and then tighten everything down and the bike wants to unalign itself as i tighten bolts back to the same position. The fact that it bends back the same way has me believe that something is definitely bent. Any ideas anyone? Here are some pics to help out, let me know if i should provide anymore, thanks.

Also, the first pic is of a new axle inserted without the wheel with both forks straight horizontally to give you an idea of how off center they are from each other.

Photography Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Auto part
Blue Water

See less See more
#3 ·
This is the DIY method to checking your forks for a bent tube using common tools (your hands & eyes).

1. Take the fork and roll it on a smooth surface. Use the kitchen table. You ought to be able to see if it is bent severely.

2. Have your Mom, GF or a bud hold down the upper tube on a sturdy surface. Rotate the bottom tube & see if there is runout.

3. Have the same person hold down the lower tube & rotate the upper tube.

All tubes should be concentric to each other. If not, disassemble & replace the offending tubes.

Before assembly, the old tubes that you are reusing, should be checked by a machinist because you cannot perceive thousandths of runout.

Let us know how this works out.

It is no fun riding a bent Grom!

#4 ·
Also, the first pic is of a new axle inserted without the wheel with both forks straight horizontally to give you an idea of how off center they are from each other.

View attachment 74508 View attachment 74510 View attachment 74512
Idk just an observation but maybe the triple tree itself is bent some how either upper or lower. The right side either bent Out or the left side bent In just a thought especially if the fork tubes seem fine.

#5 · (Edited)
The above advise is good. Did you loosen the stem nut? The triples may have twisted, but almost certainly aren’t “bent”. The lowers look like they could easyily be spun to allow the axle through, which may leave the bars crooked to the wheel, but that would be a stem but issue / relationship to the upper & lower clamps. Bent handle bars could throw off a lot to your eye as well.

#7 ·
I want to come back to this post and explain what fixed my issue in case anyone googles this issue and needs some advice. Im posting this over a year later because tonight i just solved my issue. It took this long because i got busy with other things and just gave up on the bike. I recently relocated and there are tons of riders in OK here so i decided i'd get back to it. I scrapped up some money and was going to replace the lower triple as that was my best guess based off of everything i checked and did. While browsing ebay for a replacement i kid you not I found a seller with a bent triple and decided i'd take mine off and reference theirs so i could be certain. Sure enough mine is bent in the exact same way. I don't have the best pictures of mine so i will upload the photos from the listing as the lighting is perfect for anyone to clearly tell how it is bent. Ordered a new one and will be back to riding shortly :cheerful::tears_of_joy::tears_of_joy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.