Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ridiculous on a 12" tire...that said, I want to ride it LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been watching this, but it does prompt the question "when is a Grom not a Grom?"

All thats really left of the Grom is the headstock, a bit of the subframe, modified plastics, the forks, and the wheels. Yes its essentially the same dimensions, if you forgive the extended swingarm but is it really still a Grom and not just the smallest FZ07 packaged engine?

It reminds me of Triggers Broom. For those who might be unfamiliar with this philosophical thought experiment, Trigger has had the same broom for 20 years and in that time he's replaced the head 17 times and the handle 14 times but its still the same broom...

I'm not trying to take anything away from what they are doing, they can weld far better than me. I'm just pondering. Is it still a Grom? If you big bore a Grom is it still a Grom? How about those Over Racing or G-Craft frames? How much modification is allowed before its a different bike?

Would love to give the finished bike a spin round the block though, should be utter madness.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've been watching this, but it does prompt the question "when is a Grom not a Grom?"

All thats really left of the Grom is the headstock, a bit of the subframe, modified plastics, the forks, and the wheels. Yes its essentially the same dimensions, if you forgive the extended swingarm but is it really still a Grom and not just the smallest FZ07 packaged engine?

It reminds me of Triggers Broom. For those who might be unfamiliar with this philosophical thought experiment, Trigger has had the same broom for 20 years and in that time he's replaced the head 17 times and the handle 14 times but its still the same broom...

I'm not trying to take anything away from what they are doing, they can weld far better than me. I'm just pondering. Is it still a Grom? If you big bore a Grom is it still a Grom? How about those Over Racing or G-Craft frames? How much modification is allowed before its a different bike?

Would love to give the finished bike a spin round the block though, should be utter madness.
In my opinion it's something else... an impressive something else, but still something else nonetheless. It's like putting a Mustang fiberglass shell over a top fuel funnycar and calling it a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
been watching that as well, the 'frame' fab was really good for sure. still on fence about the swingarm but its rad as fuck overall.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Been watching the build and I like the idea others are also doing their own thing with the grom.

I have been in contact with MonkeyFather Thailand about his 250/300 cc frames that he is making and selling which also is supplied with the radiator and hose and nuts and bolts to secure the engine and wire harness. He is either selling the OG frame or SF frame and you supply your own swingarm and wheels and body hardware "fenders, blinkers, side plastic, head lights, etc".

He quoted me a while back something like $996 plus $214 ship to USA

I like the idea of Finbro frame since your engine is set on the frame correctly and not leaning forward and no extra parts for the drive chain over the swing arm and throttle body is seating in the frame correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts