Honda Grom banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I began tearing into the Grom in search of more power. (I had owned it for about 20 hours and 125 miles at the time, so it was time to start modding)

Air box mod:
I removed my left fairing and airbox cover and I gutted that stupid little tube inside the airbox and the mesh on the rear side of the air filter. I also turned my air intake snorkel 180 degrees so it faces forward now instead of backward, and then drilled six 3/4" holes in the front face of the fairing (the unpainted black plastic panel on the inside) to allow better airflow from the front of the bike into the snorkel. The holes are completely hidden when everything is back together and even if you did look for them, they look stock.

With 125cc and something like 9.5hp, I honestly didnt expect anything out of this mod except noise, however I was surprised. The increase in airflow made a slight but noticeable power gain in the mid range and markedly improved throttle response throughout the rev band. It woke the little 125 up. -and it sounds significantly... "growlier?" (I still have stock exhaust, so I imagine the difference would be more pronounced if you have a sport pipe)

Total time invested: about 25 minutes
Total cost: $0

I also did the seat strap removal/washer installation to make the seat more comfortable and open easier. That is a must-do. I also removed my owner's manual from the little bungee strap compartment on the bottom of my seat to make a perfect spot to hold a pack of smokes and a cell phone charger.

Total time: about 15 minutes (I spent 5 searching my shop for acceptable washers)
Total cost: About 15 cents worth of washers

I highly recommend both mods.

Side note: I changed the oil with castrol conventional 10w30 for break-in as well. Ill switch to Motul synthetic at about 300 miles

·
Registered
685 Posts
These have already been covered. Please search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts