Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing something unusual tonight with my Grom. (for me)

There is a pitbike race at a MX National track near me. Held in a grass field. Threw on my spare wheel set with Maxxis knobbies on them. Dropped a couple teeth on the countershaft too.

I was wondering, for those who have been there before, what is the lowest pressure I can run in the dirt without rolling the tire off the rim or extreme sidewall flex?

I am thinking 18 front and 20 rear (PSI) would be safe, but I admit I am in uncharted territory.

Clue me in!

Reactions: 50-50 and Vinnie13

·
Registered
91 Posts
well... how'd it go??

Reactions: 50-50

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did this last year and may do it again this year at Unadilla. I just ran the 29psi I used all weekend. That track is so tacky that I think the extra pressure helps the lugs sink in.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well... how'd it go??
The whole night was a cluster fuck. I did end up at 18 F & 20 rear psi. I also felt I could have dropped a couple PSI at each end, but I did not want to risk a popped bead.

Imagine around a hundred (of the 2 hundred or so) pitbikes with their owners revving the guts out of the machines, and this was during the riders meeting.

The Groms, seven of us, were suppose to have a staggered start. I rolled up to the line & was told by a different guy that when he waves the flag both classes leave together. I came in third. Then I found out that the Groms left the line in a second wave with their own flag. Perfect. I musta lapped peeps cause they scored me as third anyway.

Second moto they lined us behind a full gate of another class. We were to take off all together, but starting from a staggered start. A hole opened up & I squirted into third, first Grom. The second turn a rider went down inside me & wedged his wheel between my brake pedal & frame. Seemed it took him forever to get it unstuck. By that time I was in next to last in the moto. 5 laps. I hunkered down and started picking off riders one by one. I do not know where I finished up in the overall moto score, but ended up third Grom again. Third overall.

I learned alot with this experience.

1. 170cc really does help in this situation!
2. My Maxxis knobbys were a blessing.
3. Never ride (race) with drunk men/boys.
4. With the front fender, if riding the main track, there prolly would have been carnage due to the lack of clearance.
4. I would do it all over again.

I also took a Pitster Pro LXR190 pitbike too. I let my friend ride it. Pretty damn funny, cause that bike whooped his ass several times. The motor, even stock, is pretty stout & he was not used to it. Went down 4/5 times. I Bought this pitbike after I witnessed the Unadillia Nats pitbike race in '18. I just had to try it. So far I have not got a chance.

All in all a pretty good time. No hospital visits, and no damage to either machine. Just a little tweak to my pride. :big smile:

Grom on!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just seen this post 50-50. Sorry it took so long to respond!

The pitbike has a 190cc motor that several people have retrofitted into Groms. I thought about it as the 190 is MUCH more powerful than a stocker. Maybe one day...

IMG_3057.jpg IMG_2466.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts